Sponsored

Tsb new box has notchy steering

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth just enough to trigger the notchy feel. Look at the one time use bolt that connects the lower part of the steering column to the steering box. Look for any slop or play. They have have either reused the original bolt or didn’t torque it to spec.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
everything is torqued to spec. Had them use a new bolt. No difference? Any other ideas

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
everything is torqued to spec. Had them use a new bolt. No difference? Any other ideas
Check the intermediary steering shaft. It is the lower part of the steering column that connects to the steering box. There is a joint in it that causes a notchy feel when it fails. Tilt your steering wheel using the lever on the side, put it into the lowest position, recheck the notchy feel. Try again in the extreme up position and in the middle position.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Check the intermediary steering shaft. It is the lower part of the steering column that connects to the steering box. There is a joint in it that causes a notchy feel when it fails. Tilt your steering wheel using the lever on the side, put it into the lowest position, recheck the notchy feel. Try again in the extreme up position and in the middle position.
Where is the lever on the side to check the joint in the intermediary shaft? Do you do this with wheels on the ground? I tightened the 13mm bolt showing here where the shaft meets the box and it didnt help. Prob torqued it to 30lbs. It wasnt that loose.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tsb new box has notchy steering 20201001_222204

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Where is the lever on the side to check the joint in the intermediary shaft? Do you do this with wheels on the ground? I tightened the 13mm bolt showing here where the shaft meets the box and it didnt help. Prob torqued it to 30lbs. It wasnt that loose.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tsb new box has notchy steering 20201001_222204
The lever isn’t related to the intermediary shaft. Two separate troubleshooting techniques.

1. You check the intermediary shaft joints visually and by touching it while the steering wheel is beingturned back and forth over the notchy feel. But I wouldn’t touch it due to the danger involved with moving parts in the engine area. A trained mechanic can do that part.

2. Adjust the steering wheel tilt with the lever on the steering column. Note where it is currently at then adjust the tilt all the way up and all the way down, turn the steering wheel over the notchyfeeling areas and see if it changes at all. This won’t fix it but is good info to know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Is this normal. I could rotate as you can see with car off. Could not move up or down or side to side

Attachments

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I had mine done about two weeks ago. It was had the rough feeling for about the first week. Its been smooth since then though. I did note when I brought it home and checked it out the fluid was just at the min line. After driving several days it was well below the min line. I've since topped it off and had no issues.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I tried the tilt up and down. Notchiness was still there but the steering almost had a better feel to it all the way down. The turn was more consistant
Sponsored