JL replacement steering box has issues

Kballard72

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Rubicon unlimited
It is the black one with the AA part number.

1. At TDC, feels light for about half an inch then you feel it get heavy, though watching the wheels, theymove the whole time.

2. When turning wheel slow, feels gritty, may not be the best word but it is not smooth. Like it's modulating or feeling the cog teeth. It is just not smoothe, not grinding, just nothing like before with the original steering box.

I'm under warranty so it's going back. My luck I probably drew a bad steering box.
Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Seems completely possible. Some '21 owners with the new box are still reporting issues as well and some of the replacement boxes. If I had to take a wild ass guess at it i'd say 60% are good, 20% little to no improvement, and 20% are crap.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It is the black one with the AA part number.

1. At TDC, feels light for about half an inch then you feel it get heavy, though watching the wheels, theymove the whole time.

2. When turning wheel slow, feels gritty, may not be the best word but it is not smooth. Like it's modulating or feeling the cog teeth. It is just not smoothe, not grinding, just nothing like before with the original steering box.

I'm under warranty so it's going back. My luck I probably drew a bad steering box.
Is your Jeep currently in service? Please feel free to connect with our team via private message for additional support while having this issue addressed,

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored