Even the Gladiator Has Steering Issues

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I went to my dealer this afternoon. They had a nice Rubicon Gladiator on the showroom floor. While the size is impressive, I checked the steering wheel. About 1/8 1/4 maybe more of complete no resistance in the steering wheel. And I went underneath to try and get a part # from the steering box.

View attachment 184637

IMG_9528.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Whomever designed JL steering needs a good punt in the groin. In the same test I can move my steering wheel the width of the "bars" at about the 9 and 3 o'clock with 0 resistance, so this new steering appears better.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I went to my dealer this afternoon. They had a nice Rubicon Gladiator on the showroom floor. While the size is impressive, I checked the steering wheel. About 1/8 1/4 maybe more of complete no resistance in the steering wheel. And I went underneath to try and get a part # from the steering box.

View attachment 184637

IMG_9528.JPG
They are up to version AE, and still couldn't resolve the problem? Heh..
Did you check the track-bar as well?

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The movement you're seeing in the steering wheel is completely normal when the vehicle is off. It's simply the tolerance in the steering gear. If there was no tolerance in the steering gear the gears would wear out super fast, and the amount of feedback in the steering wheel while hitting bumps would be intolerable. I don't discount the fact that the JLs have steering issues, and likely the JTs will too, but this has nothing to do with it. These aren't CRVs with rack and pinion steering. It's a completely different design.

OP
OP
chadc880

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
The movement you're seeing in the steering wheel is completely normal when the vehicle is off. It's simply the tolerance in the steering gear. If there was no tolerance in the steering gear the gears would wear out super fast, and the amount of feedback in the steering wheel while hitting bumps would be intolerable. I don't discount the fact that the JLs have steering issues, and likely the JTs will too, but this has nothing to do with it. These aren't CRVs with rack and pinion steering. It's a completely different design.
I have seen a few JL's were zero "play" in the steering. And they felt great. My JL on the other hand has this play when off. And it is the exact same play I felt in the Gladiator today in the showroom. Heck I even compared a 19 Sahara that was just sold. ITs steering was rock solid. zero play.
Sponsored