2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
That's going to be a sweet Rubicon! I almost went for the Rubicon myself... but I'm a weirdo and prefer the manual windows, doors, and no A/C. As I like to say; I'm pretty weird for a normal person... but Im pretty normal for a weirdo!

I also knew I wanted to build it out myself, cause I get a kick out of that kinda stuff. I also get to put in exactly what I want. It'll slowly turn into a "Rubicon" over time.

I will be adding Rubicon fender flares pretty quick to start with.

I contacted Advance Adaptors and they hope to have an Atlas II kit for the JL/JT around February 2021. That will be perfect timing for my JL! I always wanted one in my TJ, so with the money I saved getting a Sport, thats going to be one of the first big upgrades I do. Even if its delayed, Im patient. It takes a while to properly test and debug products like that.... just ask AEV. I'll probably be waiting for their front bumper too... :LOL:

Haven't decided on gears, rear locker, and front axle yet... but thats half the fun of it! Looking forward to hearing what you do with yours as well!
Sponsored

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
That's going to be a sweet Rubicon! I almost went for the Rubicon myself... but I'm a weirdo and prefer the manual windows, doors, and no A/C. As I like to say; I'm pretty weird for a normal person... but Im pretty normal for a weirdo!

I also knew I wanted to build it out myself, cause I get a kick out of that kinda stuff. I also get to put in exactly what I want. It'll slowly turn into a "Rubicon" over time.

I will be adding Rubicon fender flares pretty quick to start with.

I contacted Advance Adaptors and they hope to have an Atlas II kit for the JL/JT around February 2021. That will be perfect timing for my JL! I always wanted one in my TJ, so with the money I saved getting a Sport, thats going to be one of the first big upgrades I do. Even if its delayed, Im patient. It takes a while to properly test and debug products like that.... just ask AEV. I'll probably be waiting for their front bumper too... :LOL:

Haven't decided on gears, rear locker, and front axle yet... but thats half the fun of it! Looking forward to hearing what you do with yours as well!
Haha nothing weird about that! Whatever is fun for you is what you should do! My experience with modifications is mostly with electrical/stereo, and suspension/aero/power in track-going cars. So this will be a new experience for me.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Hopefully this is the right place for this!

After being a day one reservation holder for a Bronco.... I came to my senses and ordered a 2 door JL today!

I had a TJ in high school and have been Jeep-less for a while now. My 4x4 Ram 2500 single cab doesn't take the trails like a Jeep.... its a little bigger and heavier too... I look forward to posting some pics and hitting some trails when it arrives!

I think I'll have a somewhat of a unique build- Assembly plant may be scratching their head on this one...

2021 JL Sport [2door]
Willys package
Soft top
Sarge Green
6-Speed
Dual door group w/ basic tops
HD electrical/tow package

... and the most controversial option/lack there of- A/C bypass!

A/C will be no doors on this thing! :rock:
I think you will be happy with your choice. I bought one and have not driven one since the cj/sq headlights.

Then about a month later wife bought one.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Ok. Back to basics. I want to put a winch on my steel fender. I want to be safer off road. I would appreciate opinions on brand and capacity.
Hey Cristina,

Long time. Not as active a thread as it once was. :LOL:

Here is my adventures in putting a winch in:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ntures-continued-punkn-jlr.11524/#post-281450

First: Get a solid mounting plate so that it can pull your Jeep up a tree if needed. Don't skimp here. Important.

Second: There are lighter and cheaper options than the Zeons. 8K is good for our 2 doors, but I went with 10k for a bit "extra." Warn makes a VR series that is cheaper, and more importantly lighter. So do look into them. IMHO.

Finally: I had a Smittybilt winch in my last Jeep and it was perfectly fine. I just opted for the state side built option this time round because I wanted the quicker spool and uber cool look. lol

It's great to have in case you get stuck, but don't let it encourage you to go too crazy. And don't forget to get soft shackles, a tree strap, and a kinetic rope. A pully will really help in self recovery as well. If you are unfamiliar, do the research and understand its use before using it!

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
sadly the Warn VR's are made in China also, they do look nice tho. i used the JCR plate with a Smittybilt winch. Truly the winch is rarely used but very handy when you do need it. I have heard some really good things about the Harbor Freight ones, they are much less expensive than the others. you will want to switch out the cable at some point with synthetic line to save some weight but the cable will do just fine too. Like Gary said, there are a few doodads you will need along with the winch to complete your recovery set up. soft shackles and the new aluminum pullys offer great weight savings over the steel hard shackles and steel snatch blocks but are quite a bit more expensive. I would suggest a cheap winch and some synthetic line and light recovery gear. what you will save on the winch you will blow on the synthetic line and soft shackles and aluminum pulley. I think a winch is more important the more often you go out alone, if you are still wheelin in groups it is something you could put off for some time. A tow strap is used in recovery much more often. In two years i have used my winch maybe 5 times. As i am most often in the lead position and there is no one to pull me over if i get hung up, i have to self recover. 8-10,000 capacity is plenty, more capacity equals more weight, it is why you carry a pulley, to double the capacity and halve the rope strain. LOL Gary, your up early "liking" this and im over here still editing it! lmao!

Last edited:

IMBlu

First Name
Cristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door ocean blue jl
I’ll make a list based on you twos advice, Gary and John. Thank you. It will be a while before I’ll be leading in the trail!

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll make a list based on you twos advice, Gary and John. Thank you. It will be a while before I’ll be leading in the trail!
Good luck and Happy Wheelin!

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
A few from our latest adventure. 8 days 7 nights. The new fridge and solar system really help extend our length of time we can spend in the feild. Two doors overlanding woo!

from cali1.jpg

IMG_20201205_174050_194.jpg

IMG_20201121_091917_271.jpg

IMG_20201205_152758_972.jpg

IMG_20201202_214556_435.jpg

IMBlu

First Name
Cristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door ocean blue jl
Wow.. Jeep jamboree registrations staring to open. Oak Ridge TN opened at 1; I went on at 1:10... waiting list only...
Doubt I will get a spot.
One more in NC later today

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

ADKJLR

First Name
Curry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
So I ordered a 2021 JL Rubicon on November 24th - Sarge Green, LED package, Hard Top, and 6 speed manual. Jeep chat said it was finished in assembly on December 11th, and had passed inspection on the 12th! Now my dealer is telling me that it is scheduled to be in Selkirk NY on the 23rd!!!!! Needless to say, I am beyond excited!!!! That seems like a very quick build for a custom order. But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! Lol!:like:

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
So I ordered a 2021 JL Rubicon on November 24th - Sarge Green, LED package, Hard Top, and 6 speed manual. Jeep chat said it was finished in assembly on December 11th, and had passed inspection on the 12th! Now my dealer is telling me that it is scheduled to be in Selkirk NY on the 23rd!!!!! Needless to say, I am beyond excited!!!! That seems like a very quick build for a custom order. But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! Lol!:like:
Gratz! Be sure to post pics, please.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Congrats, love the Sarge Green Color. Can't wait to see some photos.
Sponsored