Sanity Check On 2022 Two-Door Rubicon Build

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Folks,

I’m in the information gathering stage of ordering a two-door Rubicon and just need a sanity check from the hive on a few things. I’m looking at both Jeep’s website and the order guide, dated 1/17/22 as posted above. I understand that the order guide always trumps FCA’s website. That said, I have questions and comments…

4.88 Gears. Awesome, Thanks FCA! This’ll set me up easy for 35” tires. You know, it sure would be great if you could take it one step further and offer the 2-door with the Xtreme Recon Package from the factory but failing that, I’m still glad some marketing whiz kid read the competitive report on the Ford Bronco and asked an engineer what could be done to get a better crawl ratio than brand X. Odd that the option itself is not listed anywhere on Jeep’s website, but they do crow about the 100:1 crawl. (Little tiny words: “available”). Maybe I should really be thanking Ford for that decision…

Snazzberry Red. What Jeep giveth, Jeep taketh awayeth. I saw that color on a Wrangler the other day and loved it, decided right then and there that that would be my color, after living with black on both my ’83 CJ-7 and my ’06 LJR. Sadly, missed it by “that much” according the the 1/17 order update. Play the sad trombone.

Sarge Green is another cool color, and yay, still available. But holy buckets the red dash and trim is jarring with that color. Even made me take a trip to the local dealer to see for myself what it looks like in real life. No sir, I don’t like it.

In 1983 I remember thinking, “Longer wheelbase than the CJ-5, makes the Jeep luxuriously smooth on a long drive.” In 2006 that had changed to, “Coil springs and air conditioning, how luxurious.” Now I’m looking at what’s offered and thinking, “Adaptive cruise on a manual transmission Jeep Wrangler for crying out loud! What a world we live in now!” Here’s a question - do the safety feature options, the blind spot monitoring and the adaptive cruise, does that all still work if you put taller tires on and a lift kit?

Nit Pick time: No dual top group for 2-doors, Sad! But does anyone know if I can still order CWJ, the soft top window storage bag with a hard top? The Mopar parts soft top kit does not come with that bag, and I’m going to need it. Speaking of tops, the Hard Top Headliner; has anyone ever driven two Jeeps back to back and compared the noise, or maybe lack thereof, between the two? 500 Bucks seems kind of steep for three carpet squares clinging for life above my melon.

The Cold Air Intake - does it really do anything? I’d think that if it did, then FCA would put that on as standard equipment to boost the horsepower a slight bit, makes the published numbers look better versus the “horse”. Anyone have experience with just the cold air intake and nothing else?

Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats, $1,600. But then, there’s two more leather seat options for double the money each. What’s the difference, other than perforated cow or stitched cow? Are the seats a different shape and or design?

If you want the steel bumpers guess what? You have to shell out another $1,600 for LED lights, half of which you already bought as part of the Safety Group. Yet if you want bun warmer seats and a heated steering wheel with your manual transmission, you’ll get the Jeep three hundred bucks cheaper than the folks who are paying $2,500 more for two extra gears and one less pedal under the dash. Are we there yet?

Thanks for putting up with my rant...
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have the headliner. It covers the area around the side windows and above the rear window too. I'm not that impressed with it, but the Jeep was on the lot with it.

Cold air intakes are not worth it. The standard air box/filter will flow more air than the throttle body is capable of pulling. Plus, the side of your hood will be cut to install it and part of that cut is out of the Rubicon decal.

You can get better quality leather for the same price or less through Katzkins.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
IMO, if you're looking for the leather interior, there's only one choice and it's the standard "Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats" option. All other options are done post factory starting from a cloth Jeep which means you're missing out on the stitched leather dash top, steering wheel, center console, and doors. I have no idea why they don't specify that the interior uses lower quality materials in all but the first leather option, haven't verified 22s are this way too but but this has been true for all model years so far.

Same goes if you find something you like through katzkin - I'd still start from a Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats optioned rig and sell your stock leather to offset the upgrade.

Some random thoughts: the LED headlights are 100% worth getting. They have really great output and IMO look the part on the JL front end better than any of the third party options I've seen. What engine are you getting? I have a 3.6/8speed auto 2 door with 4.88s and 35s and I love the gearing setup. Room to go 37s if needed but so far it's done some tough trails and have had no need due to the short wheelbase.

OP
OP
Powelligator

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Thank You for your input - exactly what I need.

I have an '06 LJ Rubicon with back then's dual top option. When the hard top is on it's not cold or loud or uncomfortable, it's a Jeep. And when the soft top is on, the same. I haven't read anywhere where somebody has directly compared a JL with/without headliner and gushed about how utterly silent the interior is at 70 MPH. I expect it to be, well, a Jeep. I'll pass on that option.

I'm going to pass on the cold air, another $500 saved.

I didn't realize the other seat options are done post factory. Does the dealer do that or are they done in another facility in Toledo? I wonder if things like that are part of why some Jeeps seem to take four months for delivery and others much shorter. For me the cloth seats are probably fine, but I do want the bun warmers.

Good input on the headlights. I do hate the headlights on my LJ and even those are Hella replacements circa 2006. My Outback (daily driver) has HID headlights and those are awesome. This will be my first experience with OE LED's. Expensive yes, might be worth it in the long run.

For the JL I'm planning on the 3.6 with the 6-spd manual transmission and 4.88 gears from the factory, and I'll add a set of 35's later. My LJ has a 4.7 stroker, 6-spd manual, 4.56 gears and 35" tires, so in theory the JL should be geared lower but both should be roughly the same on trails. I don't crawl rocks as enthusiastically as I did 15 years ago, but I also don't want to turn back when the going gets rough.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

Good luck with the decision, I have a 22 JLUR on order 6mt 4.88's been stuck in D status since December. I am going to 35's really soon after it arrives, 33's going on the wife's 2015 JKUR.

I believe that there is a few on the forum with JL's and 4.88's, seems like a no brainer option for all the manual transmission owners, especially if taller tires are on the horizon.

Regards,
Jim

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't realize the other seat options are done post factory. Does the dealer do that or are they done in another facility in Toledo? I wonder if things like that are part of why some Jeeps seem to take four months for delivery and others much shorter. For me the cloth seats are probably fine, but I do want the bun warmers.
I think it's at another facility nearby the factory akin to how they send the Jeeps offsite to get the vinyl graphics applied, but I would try and find a leather trimmed seats equipped JL and a cloth one to see the differences in the rest of the interior that come with it. It's worth a look, not sure why they don't note this anywhere. I've found the factory leather to be very durable running summers top and doors off and getting the whole rig filthy on the trails multiple times per month, with the only cleaning products used being pretty generic wipes and dampened cloths with a little bit of Dawn. I haven't treated them with any leather-specific things over the last two years.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Thank You for your input - exactly what I need.

I have an '06 LJ Rubicon with back then's dual top option. When the hard top is on it's not cold or loud or uncomfortable, it's a Jeep. And when the soft top is on, the same. I haven't read anywhere where somebody has directly compared a JL with/without headliner and gushed about how utterly silent the interior is at 70 MPH. I expect it to be, well, a Jeep. I'll pass on that option.

I'm going to pass on the cold air, another $500 saved.

Good input on the headlights. I do hate the headlights on my LJ and even those are Hella replacements circa 2006. My Outback (daily driver) has HID headlights and those are awesome. This will be my first experience with OE LED's. Expensive yes, might be worth it in the long run.

For the JL I'm planning on the 3.6 with the 6-spd manual transmission and 4.88 gears from the factory, and I'll add a set of 35's later. My LJ has a 4.7 stroker, 6-spd manual, 4.56 gears and 35" tires, so in theory the JL should be geared lower but both should be roughly the same on trails. I don't crawl rocks as enthusiastically as I did 15 years ago, but I also don't want to turn back when the going gets rough.
Can you even get 4.88’s without XR package and MT?

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
IMO, if you're looking for the leather interior, there's only one choice and it's the standard "Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats" option. All other options are done post factory starting from a cloth Jeep which means you're missing out on the stitched leather dash top, steering wheel, center console, and doors. I have no idea why they don't specify that the interior uses lower quality materials in all but the first leather option, haven't verified 22s are this way too but but this has been true for all model years so far.

Same goes if you find something you like through katzkin - I'd still start from a Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats optioned rig and sell your stock leather to offset the upgrade.

Some random thoughts: the LED headlights are 100% worth getting. They have really great output and IMO look the part on the JL front end better than any of the third party options I've seen. What engine are you getting? I have a 3.6/8speed auto 2 door with 4.88s and 35s and I love the gearing setup. Room to go 37s if needed but so far it's done some tough trails and have had no need due to the short wheelbase.
Guess that answers my question above. Did you get the 4.88’s from the factory? Or aftermarket?

Sponsored

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Can you even get 4.88’s without XR package and MT?
Hi,

The XR is still listed as a automatic transmission/A8 only, you can only order 4.88's with a 6mt

There are rumors of a 6mt XR, but nothing more than that.

Regards,
Jim

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
... But does anyone know if I can still order CWJ, the soft top window storage bag with a hard top? The Mopar parts soft top kit does not come with that bag, and I’m going to need it. ...
This infuriates me. When I ordered I grumbled I had to buy that bag which should ABSOLUTELY come with the expensive soft top, cuz you know, maybe I don't want my windows scratched the hell up, you know, like every owner everywhere.

Even better, I couldn't order it because it was unavailable at order time. Damn it.

So now I'll have to buy it separately and its a lot more expensive. Bastards.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Red Dash - this was a big reason I didn't get a Rubicon, personally. You *can* get a gray dash/stitching, if you opt for the tan leather interior. Unfortunately, this adds to the cost, unless you're good with a tan leather interior. If not, it's another ~$2K for Katskinz to change back to black.

Leather Seats - speaking of, the $1,600 "Leather-trimmed bucket seats" are factory leather. The other two options are basically a factory-installed custom Katskinz kit. As others mentioned, they start with a cloth Rubi and then just replace the seats, so you don't get all the extras. Plus, me personally, if I'm going to bother paying for Katskinz, I'd rather do it separately so that I have full choices of colors, stitching, options, etc.

Safety Features - I have a Sahara Altitude with both packages. Have since added a 2" spacer lift and 33" tires. Modest, to be sure, but neither seem to have had any negative impact on the safety features (which I use constantly, especially the adaptive cruise).

Dual Tops - if you're going to want it, make sure you order with the hard top. Jeeps shipped from the factory with a soft top installed do not include the wiring/tubing to make the rear window wiper/defogger work. Mine came with the hardtop headliner, so I don't have a *direct* comparison, but it's a pretty "full" coverage - not just the ceiling, but also the walls on the side and back. It was a "nice-to-have" when I was ordering, but I'm convinced that it helps in two key areas:
- Sound deadening; the hard top is basically just a thick fiberglass shell. I have to believe that without this liner, you'd have some pretty intense buffeting, particularly on the highway
- Temp Moderation; again, thick fiberglass, so having an extra liner to keep the outside temperature out is definitely helpful.

Steel Bumpers - I wouldn't bother buying this from the factory. You can usually find take-offs relatively cheap on FB (which will likely increase as the XRs start being delivered en masse). Also the factory steel requires you to buy a winch plate separately. For the same money, you can buy an aftermarket steel bumper with more style and better features, sometimes even for less money.

LED package - this is one that is incessantly hyped/recommended here on the forum, but didn't make sense to me. It's easy enough to change out myself aftermarket, and I see full kits in the ~$500-600 range - quite a bit cheaper than the factory.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess that answers my question above. Did you get the 4.88’s from the factory? Or aftermarket?
Mine are aftermarket as I have a 2019. I ended up busting an axle in Moab and replacing it with a 4.88 Spicer Ultimate D44 and regearing the rear to 4.88 to match. Needed to turn a bummer into an upgrade and something to look forward to. I had the biggest, most absolute painful experience getting the gears done correctly (I had to pay twice, two different shops as the first one wouldn't admit they set them up incorrectly), so I envy the ability to get these from the factory. I do think you can go 4.88 on a 2door without XR.

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sarge Green is another cool color, and yay, still available. But holy buckets the red dash and trim is jarring with that color. Even made me take a trip to the local dealer to see for myself what it looks like in real life. No sir, I don’t like it.
Surprised to hear that. On a rubicon, the logos have red trim & the Rubicon badge is red. I think those look great, and I think the red dash looks decent. But that’s just me. Also, if you really don’t like it, you can get the tan leather interior, and that will mean you’ll have a black interior instead of the red.

Now I’m looking at what’s offered and thinking, “Adaptive cruise on a manual transmission Jeep Wrangler for crying out loud! What a world we live in now!” Here’s a question - do the safety feature options, the blind spot monitoring and the adaptive cruise, does that all still work if you put taller tires on and a lift kit?
Not positive. What I can say is that I just ordered a 2 door Rubicon with a manual and decided against the adaptive cruise. I just didn’t like the idea of it blocking my field of view through the windshield under that rear view mirror. Also, I don’t think adaptive cruise with a manual offers the same advantages. You still have to shift, and I don’t believe it works for stop and go traffic.

Speaking of tops, the Hard Top Headliner; has anyone ever driven two Jeeps back to back and compared the noise, or maybe lack thereof, between the two?
All I can say is that I’d avoid ordering anything from the factory that you can get aftermarket. There are a lot of supply issues, and it’s very hard to predict what little add on might delay your order for weeks or months.

If you want the steel bumpers guess what? You have to shell out another $1,600 for LED lights
I decided against steel bumpers (even though I went for the LED lighting group). I figure if I end up wanting steel bumpers, I can get them aftermarket from mopar (or even used in like new condition). For now, I don’t have the need for steel bumpers and they do add weight.
Sponsored