2.0T knocking noise

Rtant

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
We have a 2019 Wrangler JLU with 2.0T and for the past year we have experienced a hard knocking noise from the engine. We have taken the JLU to several dealers, a couple dealers said the noise was normal, other told me there is an issue but they can not pinpoint the problem. They also said there is really nothing they can do unless a check engine light or code comes up. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the 2.0T?

Thank you in advance for your help

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Metalgator

First Name
Burch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU 2015 Sahara JK
I have a 2020 JLK 2.0 and I'm not sure I have the noise you have but during a cold start, the Jeep sounds like it is missing/backfiring for a couple of minutes. Once engine warms up, it's really smooth. It's done this since new and has almost 5000 miles on it now.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I have a 21 2.0T and do not have that noise. That’s horrid.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

I heard it once too, only on cold starts but I remote start most of the time, so by the time I get to my JL, it’s already gone (if it still makes that noise)

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
We have a 2019 Wrangler JLU with 2.0T and for the past year we have experienced a hard knocking noise from the engine. We have taken the JLU to several dealers, a couple dealers said the noise was normal, other told me there is an issue but they can not pinpoint the problem. They also said there is really nothing they can do unless a check engine light or code comes up. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the 2.0T?

I’m not being a smart ass, but is this a serious thread or are you just messin with us? Your clip sounds EXACTLY like the sound clip from this Midel T.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T knocking noise 1611440184069

http://www.soundsofchanges.eu/sound/ford-model-t-tin-lizzy-running-engine/?d=mp3

Or this link......

http://www.soundsofchanges.eu/sound/ford-model-t-tin-lizzy-running-engine/

OP
OP

Rtant

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’m not being a smart ass, but is this a serious thread or are you just messin with us? Your clip sounds EXACTLY like the sound clip from this Midel T.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T knocking noise 1611440184069

http://www.soundsofchanges.eu/sound/ford-model-t-tin-lizzy-running-engine/?d=mp3

Or this link......

http://www.soundsofchanges.eu/sound/ford-model-t-tin-lizzy-running-engine/
This is one of 20+ video clips I have of the Jeep. Once I played it in the dealer and the mechanic said “ that sounds normal, all Cummins sound like that” . Fun thing, they still have not fixed the problem.

OP
OP

Rtant

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL

I heard it once too, only on cold starts but I remote start most of the time, so by the time I get to my JL, it’s already gone (if it still makes that noise)
Thank you for sharing your clip, unfortunately our noise doesn’t go away once the engine is warm. The engine doesn’t constantly make this noise but it is daily.

Sponsored

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
My 2020 JLU Willy's 2.0L was very noisy like that when it was cold, and produced a lot of steam out of the exhaust for the first few minutes after start up, then went away after about 2 minutes and was fairly quiet. On my 2021 JLU Rubicon with the 2.0L, its much much quieter, with significantly less steam coming from the exhaust, even when started cold and after 2-3 minutes, the engine is very quiet. I already traded in the 2020 Willy's for the 2021 Rubicon, but I'm wondering if the 2020 had an issue (even though what I read on forums, it was normal), since the 2021 is so much more quiet and smooth. My 2020 sounded like a diesel until it was warmed up.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
This is one of 20+ video clips I have of the Jeep. Once I played it in the dealer and the mechanic said “ that sounds normal, all Cummins sound like that” . Fun thing, they still have not fixed the problem.
Find another 2.0T on the lot and ask them to start it and see if it sounds the same.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Has this concern been resolved, Rtant? If not, our team is happy to discuss further with you. When you have a second, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara

Ours sounds the same. Just had it at 2 different dealerships and was told it was normal. Sounds like this on every cold start.

Not that I trust these dealerships because they both said they couldn't do the steering box TSB due to my lift even though the Jeep still has 100% factory steering components!!!

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Just a thought...

Could you be running regular gas? If memory serves, the 2.0 is supposed to run on premium.
Sponsored