Sponsored

2.0 Engine Skid Plates

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator
I ordered the engine and transfer case skids from Asfir Sep 9th. The arrived UPS yesterday. They are a great fit for my 2.0 turbo non etorque. Just follow the YouTube videos they send links to with your order confirmation

20200925_160707.jpg

20200925_155554.jpg
Great pics!
Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Hi, i'm so sorry for the inconvinience. Glad to see it worked out fine for you.! :)
I realllllllly like the skids , when i have some extra cash laying around i am buying these

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Love my ASFIR skids. But one question - when changing the oil filter there is a cut-out where it is clear the oil is supposed to drain down and through into a catch tray.

But, it partially misses this hole, lands on the inside the of skid, and makes a fine mess.

Anyone else encounter this?

ibmiked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
Soooooo @ibmiked ... how was it??
I’m a fan! They were rock solid, and nothing grabbed or got hung up on. They performed exactly how they were designed to. I had much more confidence taking some challenging lines knowing the belly was covered, and due to the good design there is negligible loss of clearance. Recommended for sure.

Last edited:

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator
I’m a fan! They were rock solid, and nothing grabbed or got hung up on. They performed exactly how they were designed to. I had much more confidence taking some challenging lines knowing the belly was covered, and due to the good design there is negligible loss of clearance. Recommended for sure.
FANTASTIC!!!! So thrilling and amazing to hear that :)

Sponsored

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
First, to each their own ... :)

I enjoyed reading this thread. From Rusty's to ASFIR was an interesting transition. Here is what you need to consider. There are advantages to both steel (strength) and aluminium (weight) when choosing.

If you look at @3VOLVE image above, the plate was hit and is bent/wrapped on the cross member of the frame. Look at @ASFIR4X4 and you see how it looks new. Aluminum will bend and literally stretch much more than steel ever will. If you are worried about weight ... you/we are driving a brick wall with wheels lol, the weight in terms of gas milage is negligible at best.

The aluminium looks great, I 100% agree, but you need to consider what you will be doing. Mud, trees, stumps, moderate wheeling the aluminium is just fine I am sure. In AZ where I am (& ASFIR4x4) we wheel on granite and everything else. My profile pic is an example of the rocks we go over and yes, crunch on. I have watched an ASFIR engine plate get slammed right up to the belly pan and the arms bend easily. I have also witnessed MetalCloak, Rusty's and others take massive beatings and no bends. Check out places like Ajax Mine and Highway to Hell trails in AZ. Aluminum, sure but they'll get seriously damaged, protect the undercarriage sure, but then you make the decision to remove and bend back which weakens any metal or replace.

For my use, I am going with full undercarriage Rusty's on my 2020 JLUR 2.0T - Full weight is 182lbs but I'll slide over the boulders with piece of mind every single time! :)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
First, to each their own ... :)

I enjoyed reading this thread. From Rusty's to ASFIR was an interesting transition. Here is what you need to consider. There are advantages to both steel (strength) and aluminium (weight) when choosing.

If you look at @3VOLVE image above, the plate was hit and is bent/wrapped on the cross member of the frame. Look at @ASFIR4X4 and you see how it looks new. Aluminum will bend and literally stretch much more than steel ever will. If you are worried about weight ... you/we are driving a brick wall with wheels lol, the weight in terms of gas milage is negligible at best.

The aluminium looks great, I 100% agree, but you need to consider what you will be doing. Mud, trees, stumps, moderate wheeling the aluminium is just fine I am sure. In AZ where I am (& ASFIR4x4) we wheel on granite and everything else. My profile pic is an example of the rocks we go over and yes, crunch on. I have watched an ASFIR engine plate get slammed right up to the belly pan and the arms bend easily. I have also witnessed MetalCloak, Rusty's and others take massive beatings and no bends. Check out places like Ajax Mine and Highway to Hell trails in AZ. Aluminum, sure but they'll get seriously damaged, protect the undercarriage sure, but then you make the decision to remove and bend back which weakens any metal or replace.

For my use, I am going with full undercarriage Rusty's on my 2020 JLUR 2.0T - Full weight is 182lbs but I'll slide over the boulders with piece of mind every single time! :)
Do you know if you can install just a Rustys engine skid or do you have to purchase the entire set?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’d look at an aluminum skid as a consumable item and more of a mild to moderate wheeling mod where the driver seriously tries to avoid damage but still ends up tapping the bottom. If it sacrifices itself and does the job, get a new one if it’s too damaged.

Sponsored

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
You can buy individually if you want.
Was on the phone with Rusty's today. Working through some funky shipping options and pricing they have. If you go modular, the shipping will kill you. If you buy the full skid set it comes with the powercell skid for the e-torque which I don't need. Shipping prices are all over the place on the site so I sent them an email asking of they could clarify how odd it was. For instance, you could order TWO full skid sets and the shipping was about $450, if you ordered the engine, transfer and gas tank skids the shipping is $580, makes no sense at all.

OP
OP
jason0341

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Was on the phone with Rusty's today. Working through some funky shipping options and pricing they have. If you go modular, the shipping will kill you. If you buy the full skid set it comes with the powercell skid for the e-torque which I don't need. Shipping prices are all over the place on the site so I sent them an email asking of they could clarify how odd it was. For instance, you could order TWO full skid sets and the shipping was about $450, if you ordered the engine, transfer and gas tank skids the shipping is $580, makes no sense at all.
..yep, and that’s exactly why Ididnt buy it. I was just answering the question about buying in pieces.

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
No worries. If more folks point out to them the error they'll change it. Ppl here have gotten better pricing.
So as it turns out, Rusty's folks are not too customer friendly. Skipping them, like the product but worry about support and working with them.

@elf883 posted link for M.O.R.E above (https://mountainoffroad.com/) and today they are having a 10% off sale! Called and talked to Steve to make sure everything was good for my JLUR and he indicated that tomorrow (1.1.21)there is a 20% off sale and FREE Shipping! I am sold!

Last edited:

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
So as it turns out, Rusty's folks are not too customer friendly. Skipping them, like the product but worry about support and working with them.

@elf883 posted link for M.O.R.E above (https://mountainoffroad.com/) and today they are having a 10% off sale! Called and talked to Steve to make sure everything was good for my JLUR and he indicated that tomorrow (1.1.21)there is a 20% off sale and FREE Shipping! I am sold!
kool which one did you order? steel or the aluminum ? you have to post pix !!!!
its a great company and make great stuff , but again we have JLs so its all new
i so want to see pix
i have the hide away steps on the way from them will post pix when installed and finished
Sponsored