2.0 Backfiring?

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My 2.0 with muffler delete does that occasionally on cold start. It clears up in a couple of minutes. I ignore it and believe it's not a thing...
Sponsored

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
Mine does this as well - tested with both 87 and 91 octane. I was surprised as well but was told this is "normal" due to the turbo. Sounds like maybe it is? It goes away once the engine starts warming up every time.

ToledoJeep

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler JL

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Sounds normal. Mine does it, 2.0T about 4k miles and I've never put anything in it but Chevron or Shell 97 octane. On really cold mornings it's more noticeable, and goes away as soon as vehicle warms up and hits closed loop.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Mine most definitely does Not make this sound. 22 here this morning, at startup the engine quickly revs then drops to high idle. No unusual noises whatever. 87 octane since new. Sam’s club, Shell or Speedway gas.

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
Took it back to the dealer there is a software update and it fixed it.
Would you mind posting a pic of your service paperwork? Mine does this too and my dealer won’t fix anything that hasn’t fallen off or blown up.

avidangler

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0t
I had this happen consistently when using 91 octane, switched to 87 and haven't had it happen once since.

Sponsored

dstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX
The 2.0T engine runs very very retarded from a cold start to heat the cat up quickly. Around -15 to -20 degrees. So it is on the verge of misfire the whole time and sounds horrible. If you give it a tiny amount of throttle it goes from the idle ignition to something more advanced and runs a lot better.

When I go from D to R or back from R to D the ECU decides for the 0.2 seconds the engine is in neutral under no load it should run the retarded idle, then once the transmission engages the gear and provides a bit of load the engine stumbles and almost stalls.

Along with the off road surging the ECU programming for the 2.0T is not very good.

No idea why it would not do it with lower octane fuel. We are at the weird time of year switching from summer to winter gas.

Mel2014Jeep

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler
That’s what I originally thought. I told the dealer that and they said it’s a backfire. The only thing that makes me think it’s not missing is I would imagine a missing engine would throw a code.
Does not sound good at all. Never heard that sound once for my 335,000 on my 2014 wrangler unlimited sport. Hope they took care of your problem

regulators1

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler 2.0
My 2018 is doing the same thing. But as of lately it’s throwing a P0301 code. Misfire. Replaced coil pack no 1 cylinder and all plugs and still doing same thing. I can erase code and will be okay for 1-2 days but continues to to misfire engine code.
Took to electrical specialty shop and they tested all electrical components, sealed coil packs(1-3) same thing. Took compression test 160 across all four cylinders. Boro scoped cylinders. No scoring or coolant. Tested coolant system it’s good.
Took to dealership and they tried telling me if had low compression and scoring on cylinder one. But once I told them I had already tested this they backtracked that they did this but still insisted it needed a new engine. It runs completely fine after the 1-2 minutes of cold start up. Never does a misfire again during warm start up.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored