12 volt or USB Always on?

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
Is there any of the usb or 12v connection on the JL that I is always On that I could plug my phone at any time to charge when the vehicle not use?

Thanks
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
From the manual you can move the 20 Amp fuse for the rear power outlet to be powered at all times or only with the ignition.

upload_2018-5-10_12-46-15.png
I read online somewhere that though this is mentioned in the manual, that the 12v outlet back there, will always be powered on regardless of fuse position. I do not have my JL yet to verify this.

Sponsored

lithe1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Firecracker Red
Somewhere in the manual it says that the 12v cigarette plug in the trunk is connected directly to the battery and does not turn off even when the Jeep is not running.

As for the USB plugs in the dash, center armrest, and the two for the rear passengers, they turn off 1 hour after the ignition goes off—says it somewhere in the manual and I have tested this on my Jeep.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Somewhere in the manual it says that the 12v cigarette plug in the trunk is connected directly to the battery and does not turn off even when the Jeep is not running.

As for the USB plugs in the dash, center armrest, and the two for the rear passengers, they turn off 1 hour after the ignition goes off—says it somewhere in the manual and I have tested this on my Jeep.
I had no clue this was the case RE: 1-hour shutoff. Guess I could've installed my dash camera less-invasively!

Rubi Blue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Cherokee, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 2013 Volvo S80, 2017 Yamaha Wolverine, 2002 Kawasaki KLR, 1970 Honda Mini Trail 70
Does anyone know or have installed a battery "tender" on their JL with the e-Torque? Sometimes i let my vehicles sit for several weeks (shame on me) and i use "Tenders"... I assume the tender would go on the 12 volt battery!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I read online somewhere that though this is mentioned in the manual, that the 12v outlet back there, will always be powered on regardless of fuse position. I do not have my JL yet to verify this.
I finally got around to looking into this for myself...

WELL, if you move F81 to F82 and vice versa and see no change in power for the rear power outlet is is because the friggin manual is wrong.

What you need to do is move the yellow F43 to F45 or vice versa. In one position you have rear power outlet on all the time and the other position you have the rear power outlet only on when the ignition is in Acc or Run.

SO, go to where F43 and F45 resides, pull up on the fuse and move either to the left or right and then push down on the fuse..

See F43 and F45 circled in pic below:

Capture.JPG

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase

WELL, if you move F81 to F82 and vice versa and see no change in power for the rear power outlet is is because the friggin manual is wrong.

What you need to do is move the yellow F43 to F45 or vice versa. In one position you have rear power outlet on all the time and the other position you have the rear power outlet only on when the ignition is in Acc or Run.

SO, go to where F43 and F45 resides, pull up on the fuse and move either to the left or right and then push down on the fuse..

Capture.JPG
Good to know.. Thanks.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase

Capture.JPG
Forgot to ask... is that the big battery or the smaller aux battery.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase

Capture.JPG
Thanks! Easy fix to set up the rear accessory:like:

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase

Capture.JPG
I was doing this mod today and wanted to change my rear power outlet to be hot all the time and not just when the ignition is on. So I just wanted to help share and clarify on this topic. After reading these posts and looking at the fuse box, I noticed a few interesting things that maybe were not as clear as they could be. So allow me to add this bit of info for those of you that want the rear power outlet modified to be on all the time or only when the ignition is on............

What was said by Rhineback01 in his post is correct, the manual IS in fact incorrect. Pulling the F81 or F82 fuse has absolutely nothing to do with the rear power outlet (RPO), so disregard those instructions as written in your owners manual. ( a big thanks to Rhineback01 for the step by step on this.)

What I did manage to find that was not discussed with enough clarity was that the 20 amp yellow fuse for the RPO in the fuse box is the main difference by itself, not with the F45 fuse. Moving or switching places with the F43 to F45 or vice versa isn't quite accurate but was on the right track. Allow me to explain.........

I took a light and looked directly down at ONLY the F43 slot inside the fuse box and noticed that there were THREE slots for that fuse portal that the yellow 20 amp fuse can go in. The center slot is the common ground while the slots on either side of the center slot were the constant hot or the other slot was for the ignition only. The F43 slot that holds the yellow 20 amp fuse can be inserted in either position within that F43 position/slot in the fuse box. If you insert the yellow 20 amp fuse into the first 2 slots starting on the passenger side and center, the RPO will only work when the ignition is on. OR, if you wish to have the RPO hot all the time, then simply insert the yellow 20 amp fuse to the center and drivers side of the 3 slots and you'll have your RPO hot all the time. The F45 fuse was never involved in my mod adjustment. I did check the F45 fuse just to be sure it wasn't blown then placed it right back where it came out of. Once I moved the fuse over to the driver side in that same socket/pin position, I have the RPO hot all the time. Hope this help you ! Enjoy.

BobT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2013 Dart
So, nothing up front has continuous power for dash cam security.
Anyone successfully tap into the rear view mirror area for 12v constant power supply?