Sponsored

100 mile review

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius (Wife’s); 2021 Sting Grey Willys Unlimited
Picked up my 2021 Willys a few days ago so here is my first 100 mile review. What’s with the crazy steering, very loser-goosey. Keep in mind that I am comparing it to my 2019 Ridgeline which is basically a Honda Pilot with a truck bed. Anyway, the steering takes some getting use to and everyone tells me it’s a Jeep thing (whatever that means). But, at 100 miles I’m starting to get use to it. Having trouble with where to rest my left foot. May sound weird but I’ll get use to that too. I am pleasantly surprised at how it rides and how quiet it is. I have the one touch sky roof and it is pretty quiet, even compared to the Honda. I absolutely love the sound system, it is the best that I have ever had and I’m old so I’ve had a lot of different systems, I drive around just to listen to my oldies. Couple of purchases: I’ve installed seat covers for front (because we have a dog). Easy install and they are nice and snug. I give them 5 stars.(https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CY842V4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Also purchased an IPhone mount that fits perfectly on the left center side of the dash. I too give it 5 stars, I had this on the Honda. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SS1WTPD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I’m a big guy 6’3” 220 so seating a little tight but I’m comfortable, but will see how it is on a long trip. Don’t want to make this too long but so far I’m loving it. BTW the Jeep wave-I’m not doing very well. Weather may be a factor (gray, cold and ugly) but I’m only getting about a 30% wave back.

E1892E14-531E-46AC-9AAC-C7CEEA15154C.jpeg
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dash indicates 40psi per tire
Oh...that’s too much. Air down to 36 at least. That will help.

Some Jeep Wave Tips:
  1. Give oncoming Jeepers plenty of time to respond. If you see a Jeep headed your way 100 yards away, give the other driver at least 5+ seconds to see your wave and respond
  2. Make sure your wave is in direct light. Shade can obscure your hand when you wave, making it hard for others to see
The more visible and obvious your wave, the harder it will be for others to ignore. If these don’t work, that means the incidence of a**holes is higher in your area...

Sponsored

OP
OP
mjindy

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You think the steering was bad in a 2021, should've had an early version ha. They sell kits for a dead pedal. Nice looking Jeep, enjoy!
Perfect, I will check that out. Thanks much!

OP
OP
mjindy

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh...that’s too much. Air down to 36 at least. That will help.

Some Jeep Wave Tips:
  1. Give oncoming Jeepers plenty of time to respond. If you see a Jeep headed your way 100 yards away, give the other driver at least 5+ seconds to see your wave and respond
  2. Make sure your wave is in direct light. Shade can obscure your hand when you wave, making it hard for others to see
The more visible and obvious your wave, the harder it will be for others to ignore. If these don’t work, that means the incidence of a**holes is higher in your area...
Thank you for the tips. I will reduce air and keep waving 😅

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Congrats on the new Willys, @mjindy

After some experimentation, I determined that 37 PSI (cold) was the sweet spot for the best steering experience on my new JLU.

I've a dead pedal kit, still new in the box. I'm tall, like you, and I determined that I prefer to use the firewall as a de facto rest for my left foot. I too come from a Ridgeline, and I don't miss that vehicle's too-far-forward dead pedal. Not at all.

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
The dead pedal is worth it.

NOTE: It helps if you're a Little Person or perhaps an Olympic gymnast.

It's not complicated to get the M.O.R.E. pedal in there. It would just be better if we had tentacles instead of hands.

Have the suicide hotline on speed dial. If that nut falls off the bracket bolt, grab that phone! IT GETS BETTER!

Landog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Willys 2 Door
Took delivery of my 2 door Willys last Thursday. Have about 250 miles on him so far. Here's a couple of notes for you.

- My tires came with 41psi. I dropped it down to 37 and could definitely tell the difference.
- My steering is tight compared to the 2020 sport I test drove. That one had about an inch of play either side of center.
- It's rained every day since I got him (PNW in January, go figure). The M/Ts are better than I thought they would be in the rain, but I'm still a bit careful with them.
- This is my 1st Jeep. Even with the M/T tires and all the rain, It's a lot quieter than I was expecting. But I still placed an order for the Hotheads Headliner with Sound Assassin strips. Should be here next week.
- I've got the 2.0L engine. Nice and peppy and getting about 21mpg so far.

Cheers!
Landog

OP
OP
mjindy

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took delivery of my 2 door Willys last Thursday. Have about 250 miles on him so far. Here's a couple of notes for you.

- My tires came with 41psi. I dropped it down to 37 and could definitely tell the difference.
- My steering is tight compared to the 2020 sport I test drove. That one had about an inch of play either side of center.
- It's rained every day since I got him (PNW in January, go figure). The M/Ts are better than I thought they would be in the rain, but I'm still a bit careful with them.
- This is my 1st Jeep. Even with the M/T tires and all the rain, It's a lot quieter than I was expecting. But I still placed an order for the Hotheads Headliner with Sound Assassin strips. Should be here next week.
- I've got the 2.0L engine. Nice and peppy and getting about 21mpg so far.

Cheers!
Landog
thanks for the information. I too have the 2.0 and hoping to get some good gas mileage. I’m watching it now I guess 21 is doable. So far I do like that engine. I did lower the tire pressure so I will see how that feels. Enjoy your new ride, looks great!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I too have the 2.0 and hoping to get some good gas mileage. I’m watching it now I guess 21 is doable.
My record to date with my 2.0T is 27.4 mpg. That came about with careful use of cruise control, and feeding the engine 93 octane from new. Presently, I'm averaging 25 mpg or so in mixed A and B road driving. I don't have a heavy foot when pulling away from a stop, either.

OP
OP
mjindy

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, thanks for the tire pressure tip. I reduced to about 37psi and I have noticed a marked improvement. Also, I read somewhere in this forum to check the fuse box and make sure they are properly seated. As I was removing the cover thinking this is a waste of time. But I was shocked at how many of the fuses were not seated properly. As I pushed on each one I bet 40% I could feel it click as it set in. What a great tip!
Sponsored