Sponsored

Good 50,000 Mile JL Rubicon Reliability Review From Edmunds.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice video and the guy summing up the review did a good job w/ his presentation, not too wordy and to the point. Just wondering what model is a Sa-harrr-uh??

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Good read since I'm at 23K miles after my first 20 months in my JLUR and have only had the steering stabilizer recall (and now clutch recall) but overall pretty happy. I knew the KO2's wouldn't last long but seeing them buy new shoes at ~40k gives me an idea of how much longer I'll have before I can upgrade to 35"s.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So basically they had the crappy steering and thought it was normal.

My '19 - even on 38's - is not a two-hands-required-at-highway-speeds scenario
My steering is great, only a couple fingers to touch the wheel at hwy speeds, unless there's cross wind, then it's a bloody white knuckle affair!

But I have my caster at 6 degrees, that's what all JLs should have from the factory (too bad the Rubicons are much closer to 4) :(

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
So basically they had the crappy steering and thought it was normal.

My '19 - even on 38's - is not a two-hands-required-at-highway-speeds scenario
My guess is they did not have crappy steering but Jeep steering and not used to it. My daily driver is a Rover that is spot on steering. When I drive the JLUR, then it feels like crappy steering. Also, he thought is was noisy - and seemed bewildered... They do not get the Jeep thing.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When I was referring to crosswinds being a white-knuckle ride, I meant 50 mph gusts or more :)

I've driven a couple Rubicons and while they drive similar to the Sport I have, the decreased caster is noticeable on the Rubicons making them more prone to wander off center. Stock Rubicons should have come w/ the longer Mopar lift LCAs to get the caster in the range of the Sport/Sahara. That extra 1.5 degrees in caster makes a big difference at higher speeds.

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Good review. Thanks for sharing.

I had some 26K flawless miles on my JLUR at the one year mark this past December. With respect to steering, I have had no issues after 14K miles with the OEM suspension or the subsequent miles with larger, wheels and, an AEV lift.

Looking forward to many more off road miles and travel adventures to come.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, that $70 for those LCAs was about the best 70 bucks I've ever spent. I always increase my caster in vehicles I've owned if it's not too difficult. Put a homemade shackle reversal kit on my 74 CJ-5 and camber/caster adjustment arms on my Infiniti G, just not a fan of vehicles that want to argue w/ me going down the road lol :) Of course going w/ live axle vehicles will guarantee plenty of heated exchanges :)

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Not too bad. most of these car review guys never like or understand the Jeep Thing.
Very few of the non-enthusiast reviewers for the larger publications aimed at "normal people" understand the enthusiast vehicles. It's good to see that's starting to change.
Sponsored