BluJay

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Sahara
Hey all,

I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of range I've had in EV mode. I've had total range estimates that far exceed the EPA 21 Mile estimate. I've seen 25, 28, 30, and this morning I saw 32 miles at 100% charge. Pretty incredible! Does anybody know if it calculates range based on your driving habits or is that not taken into account?

range.jpg
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Another poster said it is based upon driving habits when I posted a higher than EPA mile amount.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
It appears to calculate range by battery state of charge x recent mi/kWh figure for your driving style/speed etc.

This method is very common in the industry and seems to be the most reasonable method. A fully charged battery in the 4xe is about the same as a half gallon of gasoline. (0.43 gallons to be exact...) If you look at it that way......then your Jeep is getting over 60 miles per gallon of energy under those driving conditions. Pretty nice. :)

However, as electrified vehicles become more normal.....we are going to stop talking about miles/gallon equivalent (MPGe) and migrate to a mi/kWh figure instead. You are getting about 2 miles/kWh. My Focus Electric averages 4.0. My Mach-E averages about 3.5. When the BEV Wrangler becomes available for sale we might be lucky to see 3.0 mi/kWh. (this last sentence is just a guess though......)

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wrangler is going to have a massive difference between city/Highway range due to aerodynamics. EPA measures a mix, and if you’re all city/sub 45mph, you’ll easily beat EPA estimates. Winter will give you depressing range estimates.
Unless you have heated seats then it isn't that big of a penalty. Depending on how cold it gets of course. Here in AZ, heated seats used in tandem with departure time pre-conditioning goes a long way to minimizing range loss during winter driving.

Does the 4xe have a PTC resistive type heater? And can it be turned off?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2021 JLURe (coming soon)
Unless you have heated seats then it isn't that big of a penalty. Depending on how cold it gets of course. Here in AZ, heated seats used in tandem with departure time pre-conditioning goes a long way to minimizing range loss during winter driving.

Does the 4xe have a PTC resistive type heater? And can it be turned off?
How do heated seats increase the range?

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even here I was getting a 40% reduction in range during the winter with my 500e
Does the Fiat have a way to disable the e-heat?
In my Focus Electric....I had to program my own "My View" for the left side of my instrument display to show kW usage for climate controls. That was the only way for me to know if the e-heater was active. I then would have to mess with the temperature controls until the energy gauge fell back down to zero or nearly so. In my Mach-E, I can actually turn off e-heat so it won't come on even if I have the temp setting higher than ambient (provided I am not in Auto mode...)

Not really concerned about the 4xe right now.....but when fall comes around then I'll be hunting for a way to disable e-heat. Hopefully there is a setting for that. :)

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do heated seats increase the range?
Heated seats avoid range loss when using the electric heater.
During cooler months, if your EV is plugged in then you can usually set a departure time and temperature setting so the vehicle will pre-condition the cabin for you. So, it could be 32 degrees outside but a nice and toasty 72 degrees in your car. Ice and snow already melted and you are ready to hit the road. Since it's already warm inside the cabin, then you can turn on the heated seats and steering wheel and not use the climate control to heat the cabin. This is very effective, especially if you are the only one in the vehicle.

So, it doesn't increase range......just avoids using it on the cabin heater. A very useful trick for electric vehicle owners to be aware of. If given the choice when buying one of these vehicles.....get the heated seats and steering wheel. :like:

Last edited:

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Fiat have a way to disable the e-heat?
In my Focus Electric....I had to program my own "My View" for the left side of my instrument display to show kW usage for climate controls. That was the only way for me to know if the e-heater was active. I then would have to mess with the temperature controls until the energy gauge fell back down to zero or nearly so. In my Mach-E, I can actually turn off e-heat so it won't come on even if I have the temp setting higher than ambient (provided I am not in Auto mode...)

Not really concerned about the 4xe right now.....but when fall comes around then I'll be hunting for a way to disable e-heat. Hopefully there is a setting for that. :)
Heated seats avoid range loss when using the electric heater.
During cooler months, if your EV is plugged in then you can usually set a departure time and temperature setting so the vehicle will pre-condition the cabin for you. So, it could be 32 degrees outside but a nice and toasty 72 degrees in your car. Ice and snow already melted and you are ready to hit the road. Since it's already warm inside the cabin, then you can turn on the heated seats and steering wheel and not use the climate control to heat the cabin. This is very effective, especially if you are the only one in the vehicle.

So, it doesn't increase range......just avoids using it on the cabin heater. A very useful trick for electric vehicle owners to be aware of. If given the choice when buying on of these vehicles.....get the heated seats and steering wheel. :like:

Of course my comments only apply if the 4xe has a PTC heater. I presume it does....almost all plug-in vehicle do. (some have heat pumps....). If the Jeep 4xe DOESN'T have an electric heater then it must rely on the engine to make heat.....which would kinda suck if that was the case. I will research and see what I can find out.....

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure what e-heat is, I know the climate controls were not running. The battery did have temperature management for both heating and cooling. Obviously, it takes more energy to heat than to cool the battery pack.
Interesting. I know very little about the 500e systems. I wonder how it makes heat?
"e-heat" is the industry term for a Positive Thermal Coefficient (PTC) heater. Basically a fancy name for a giant electric heating element. They draw a bunch of watts and as you already learned....can impact range in a battery electric vehicle.

Many if not all PHEV (Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicles) have a PTC for cabin heat when the ICE is not in use. I presume the 4xe has a PTC but I don't know that for certain. I will have to do some research....

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn’t that be a more efficient setup? The engine would both charge the battery and heat the cabin on cold days. Vs draining substantial energy from the battery pack to heat the cabin.
Not more efficient....but less expensive for sure. The problem there is that we would be required to run the ICE to heat the battery pack when necessary. Not ideal.

Now that I think about it.....the 4xe must have a PTC because it is able to heat the battery when parked on plug.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Can't speak for 4xe (yet) but our Pacifica Hybrid is greatly affected by temperatures. In Jan-March (we had a very cold March) we are lucky to get 22-24 miles on pure EV of the 35 mile range. Since it hit the 70's we are getting closer to 38 EV miles. It's a big difference. We also are not running heated seats, steering wheel, heater, etc. and just light A/C.

Guessing 4xe will be similar and will really do well when it is not too hot or too cold.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
It has an electric heater and air conditioner.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Even here I was getting a 40% reduction in range during the winter with my 500e
I'd be thrilled to see that reduction for some relief. It would drop the AC bill at least. This whole winter in Florida was misserably hot. Can't imagine how bad the summer is going to be.
Sponsored