Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
There is something both funny and sad about how the Chinese had the Bolt matching key hood lock for the JL already copied and selling on places like Ebay, (much that I don't support patent infringement) before Bolt released it to the market.

This, BTW is not intended to be a stab at Bolt, but FCA. As others have mentioned, I strongly suspect that FCA "put the screws" to Bolt on when they could bring their version of the lock to the market such that MOPAR's more expensive and less feature rich* version would be less impacted in sales.

* Bolt's cylinder automatically adjusts to your key. MOPAR's requires you to configure the pins manually.
Sponsored

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
There is something both funny and sad about how the Chinese had the Bolt matching key hood lock for the JL already copied and selling on places like Ebay, (much that I don't support patent infringement) before Bolt released it to the market.

This, BTW is not intended to be a stab at Bolt, but FCA. As others have mentioned, I strongly suspect that FCA "put the screws" to Bolt on when they could bring their version of the lock to the market such that MOPAR's more expensive and less feature rich* version would be less impacted in sales.

* Bolt's cylinder automatically adjusts to your key. MOPAR's requires you to configure the pins manually.
Although the Chinese knock-offs have the automatic keying feature, they DONā€™T allow you to remove the key in the unlocked position like the Bolt lock does. Neither does the Mopar version. That feature alone makes the Bolt lock far superior to the others and in a league all their own.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Although the Chinese knock-offs have the automatic keying feature, they DONā€™T allow you to remove the key in the unlocked position like the Bolt lock does. Neither does the Mopar version. That feature alone makes the Bolt lock far superior to the others and in a league all their own.
Didnā€™t know..thanks.

mmai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
Left the Jeep for 2 hours in a parking garage in Vancouver, BC. Came back to my hood unlatched and negative battery terminal undone. Good thing nothing was taken but now I need a new lock cylinder and a little bit of touch up paint. Will definitely be getting a lock for the hood.

upload_2019-12-15_20-47-56.jpeg

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
Has anyone confirmed hands on that the Mopar kit requires a re-key at the dealership? My Mopar gas cap and hood lock for JK did not. It was insert the key, cycle, and done.

As for not being able to remove the key in the open position, it annoyed me at first as well, but it does keep you from forgetting to lock it when finished.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I would like to keep it unlocked for quick,easy access for most of the time. Lock only when in questionable areas, at my discretion.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Has anyone confirmed hands on that the Mopar kit requires a re-key at the dealership? My Mopar gas cap and hood lock for JK did not. It was insert the key, cycle, and done.

As for not being able to remove the key in the open position, it annoyed me at first as well, but it does keep you from forgetting to lock it when finished.
James...I have not.

I think though that it's like the higher end gasoline cap lock on the JL--at least in terms of configuring the lock to match your key, and can be done by the product owner with no dealer involvement (i.e. no need for any flashing of the rig's computer.)

(the lower end gasoline cap lock comes with its own unique set of keys I believe)

Anyway---matching the MOPAR hood lock, if like the higher end gasoline cap lock, looks like this I think:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Left the Jeep for 2 hours in a parking garage in Vancouver, BC. Came back to my hood unlatched and negative battery terminal undone. Good thing nothing was taken but now I need a new lock cylinder and a little bit of touch up paint. Will definitely be getting a lock for the hood.

Hey Matt:

I'm sorry to hear of this. Question: do you have a 3.6L JL? I ask because I want to theorize that the low life who tried to break into your rig thought that disconnecting the (main) battery would silence the alarm and didn't realize that the ESS/Aux/Supplemental battery--which is connected to the main battery (and vice versa) in parallel at nearly all times, including when the 3.6L is at rest, found that his/her actions of simply disconnecting the main battery wasn't sufficient to prevent the alarm from going off.

Chopping their hands off might also be another method of future deterrence, but that's probably a topic for another forum! ;)

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Finally installed my Bolt hood lock this morning. Started at 9am and was washing my hands shortly before 10am. Very simple install process and it works as expected. I reused all of the existing hardware.

The only delay was going to Harbor Freight to purchased the riveting tool.

9FED8055-96E1-455B-8AE6-013F2CC7A17D.jpeg

mmai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
Hey Matt:

I'm sorry to hear of this. Question: do you have a 3.6L JL? I ask because I want to theorize that the low life who tried to break into your rig thought that disconnecting the (main) battery would silence the alarm and didn't realize that the ESS/Aux/Supplemental battery--which is connected to the main battery (and vice versa) in parallel at nearly all times, including when the 3.6L is at rest, found that his/her actions of simply disconnecting the main battery wasn't sufficient to prevent the alarm from going off.

Chopping their hands off might also be another method of future deterrence, but that's probably a topic for another forum! ;)

Yup its a 3.6. Not sure what they were thinking, but I like where you're going with this :like:

Sponsored

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Finally installed my Bolt hood lock this morning. Started at 9am and was washing my hands shortly before 10am. Very simple install process and it works as expected. I reused all of the existing hardware.

The only delay was going to Harbor Freight to purchased the riveting tool.

9FED8055-96E1-455B-8AE6-013F2CC7A17D.jpeg
Was that grille cutout what came with the lock? I am finding confusing photos showing the lock in a higher position without this nice cutout.

Many thanks for your help!

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Was that grille cutout what came with the lock? I am finding confusing photos showing the lock in a higher position without this nice cutout.

Those are old pictures. They do have the cut-out thatā€™s down a little bit.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M

Did have the Mopar OEM hood lock keyed and installed by the dealer. Gas cap as well. For those wondering the hood lock key can be removed when in the lock position - and the hood will still close. The locking latch slides over under the weight of the hood - but you should re-insert your key to properly re-lock.

Also if you look at the photo closely - the OEM cover flap fits the grille slot perfectly and snaps in place from above. So is a bit different from the Bolt option. Overall feel much better with both locks - as sometimes we have to park in sketchy areas. Jeep should simply include these from the factory.

As an aside the Gladiator has their front cam right in this same location. So no hood lock for them. Haha!

8A9C2161-C7A1-47D6-A936-DC43CEFCC8B0.png

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M

Very sorry to hear about that. But good thing they left your battery. Have heard stories of some low lifes lifting just the battery. Probs the alarm went off via the aux anyways. Haha!

Interestingly we popped the hood and ā€œinspectedā€ our engine bay before anyone came over to help us at the dealership. So locks def help.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure

Yes, the kit came complete with the hood lock, replacement grille insert, and hardware.

Ordered mine from Northridge 4x4.
Sponsored