Not open for further replies.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Did the wife test. Didn't tell her I did the exhaust work. Drove 20 miles normal style followed by a few hit the gas drills where it is quite a bit louder. No mention from her about anything being loud, she did call me an idiot for gunning the motor. lol

After a few days driving around, I haven't changed my mind about normal driving. A difference without much significance and easy to forget you've done it. Dropping into lower gears for hills en such you definitely hear it, and much more when mashing the pedal. I wish it were a little more quiet in both instances but it doesn't bother me enough to go back to stock. The other bennys are just too big.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Did the wife test. Didn't tell her I did the exhaust work. Drove 20 miles normal style followed by a few hit the gas drills where it is quite a bit louder. No mention from her about anything being loud, she did call me an idiot for gunning the motor. lol

After a few days driving around, I haven't changed my mind about normal driving. A difference without much significance and easy to forget you've done it. Dropping into lower gears for hills en such you definitely hear it, and much more when mashing the pedal. I wish it were a little more quiet in both instances but it doesn't bother me enough to go back to stock. The other bennys are just too big.
Yeah, I'm still 100% happy w/ mine, and it's nice to hear the motor when you want to :)
My wife actually prefers hearing the motor too!

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yeah, I'm still 100% happy w/ mine, and it's nice to hear the motor when you want to :)
My wife actually prefers hearing the motor too!
Interesting observation. Last week I took out all my tools/airpump, etc out of the back and folded the seats down. The exhaust note was quite a bit higher and the wife was with me and she asked why it was so loud.

I kept the seats down but added the tools and such and it is noticeably quieter.

This all makes sense and understandable, just giving feedback.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I put a Dynomax muffler delete on my Jeep. Cruising was fine but when I went up hills or took off from a stop, it was way too loud for me or my wife. My gas mileage went way up because I would always try to keep the noise down to an acceptable level. Luckily I kept the old muffler and I switched back within a week.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I put a Dynomax muffler delete on my Jeep. Cruising was fine but when I went up hills or took off from a stop, it was way too loud for me or my wife. My gas mileage went way up because I would always try to keep the noise down to an acceptable level. Luckily I kept the old muffler and I switched back within a week.
Got any pics (or a link to some) of your other Jeeps?

Sponsored

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil

I am more than happy with mine. It makes you aware of the auto downshift which sounds good as well. Nothing but compliments on the sound.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I am more than happy with mine. It makes you aware of the auto downshift which sounds good as well. Nothing but compliments on the sound.
With the seats down and nothing in there it was borderline too loud. But when will this ever happen real world? I only did it to make room for all the take off parts while at the shop. Real world is seats up and tools and other crap in the back. Sounds great and I love the fact that I have better ground clearance and shed 20 some pounds. I have the old muffler for now but it's gone for good from the jeep.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
With the seats down and nothing in there it was borderline too loud. But when will this ever happen real world? I only did it to make room for all the take off parts while at the shop. Real world is seats up and tools and other crap in the back. Sounds great and I love the fact that I have better ground clearance and shed 20 some pounds. I have the old muffler for now but it's gone for good from the jeep.
I kept mine, if & when it's ever sold the next guy might want to have that keg reinstalled.

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I picked this up and installed it. Took 15 minutes max. When I started in the driveway I was pumped. It sounds very nice and not at all fast and furious like. I few minutes after the wife and I took a ride. I was thinking she is going to totally notice, but she didn't. This was over Christmas break so it was just around town cruising. We decided to take a trip to the west side of Michigan which we about 3 hours away all highway. It was either in 6th or 7th gear and too loud or I was in 8th in manual mode to reduce the noise. The wife noticed it within 5 minutes and said it was annoying. I pushed back out of pride, but after an hour I agreed only due to the seemingly constant issue of downshifting that was not present before.

It really seemed like the Jeep was in 6th or 7th gear when before with the stock exhaust it wouldn't have been. Combine that with me putting it in 8th manually it absolutely KILLED my gas mileage. I have never changed the average fuel economy setting in in the dash since new. When I left it was at 16.8. When we arrived 3 hours later it was at 12.3

Since then I have been back to normal driving and left the manual setting alone. I reset the average and I am still under 13.

The sound around town and the trail benefits are nice, but fuel economy is a killer. With the all of the money that I would waste on gas I could replace the stock exhaust every time it got a nick on it from the trails.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I picked this up and installed it. Took 15 minutes max. When I started in the driveway I was pumped. It sounds very nice and not at all fast and furious like. I few minutes after the wife and I took a ride. I was thinking she is going to totally notice, but she didn't. This was over Christmas break so it was just around town cruising. We decided to take a trip to the west side of Michigan which we about 3 hours away all highway. It was either in 6th or 7th gear and too loud or I was in 8th in manual mode to reduce the noise. The wife noticed it within 5 minutes and said it was annoying. I pushed back out of pride, but after an hour I agreed only due to the seemingly constant issue of downshifting that was not present before.

It really seemed like the Jeep was in 6th or 7th gear when before with the stock exhaust it wouldn't have been. Combine that with me putting it in 8th manually it absolutely KILLED my gas mileage. I have never changed the average fuel economy setting in in the dash since new. When I left it was at 16.8. When we arrived 3 hours later it was at 12.3

Since then I have been back to normal driving and left the manual setting alone. I reset the average and I am still under 13.

The sound around town and the trail benefits are nice, but fuel economy is a killer. With the all of the money that I would waste on gas I could replace the stock exhaust every time it got a nick on it from the trails.
Something's not right, my mpg didn't change a bit, and it's been 6500 miles since I installed, get 22-24 mpg hwy, 18 town on 33.5" tires

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
At EJS, our muffler took some damage. Happened to run into Matt @DynoMax Exhaust and the vendor show and lucked out being able to get a dynomax muffler delete from him. As soon as we got home I put the Jeep on the lift to survey damage and install this delete pipe.

Only tools needed are a 15mm socket, wd-40 or similar penetrating oil, pry bar and rubber mallet. May not need all those but makes things easier.

Soak the rubber hangers in lube. While it’s soaking in break loose the clamp and make sure it’s loose. Also spray some lube at the clamp to help it slide off.

I used a 24’ pry bar on the drivers side to slide the rubber hanger off the frame mounted side. On the passenger side, you’ll need to push it off on the muffler side as the frame mounted hits the rear cargo tub. For that one I just pushed it off.

Once it’s free from the hangers, just take your time and work the muffler pipe off the exhaust. Takes a little wiggling but working it back and forth and some gentle motivation from a rubber mallet makes short work of it.

Once its off, get the new delete pipe and place the clamp loosely over the pipe. Slide it into place, grab the rubber hanger from the drivers side of the muffler and install it on the delete pipe. Once it’s all lined up, tighten the clamp.

Brett

24015241-D418-4C62-AEF1-BEA3D2113A89.jpeg

A0619C2A-0E65-44CB-863D-B84083195352.jpeg

59151BEA-8A26-4E2E-A0BE-EF1EEEDBF8C5.jpeg

5B7597B2-4AE6-4F19-B23C-7B65B5E5DD0A.jpeg

ED4A2FE7-6688-4837-827D-0D175860E8CD.jpeg
Personally, I found it easier to remove the hanger brackets (two bolts each), drop the muffler complete, fight the rubber hangers on the floor, and then install the delete pipe.

It was ok in normal driving, but towing through the hill country was murder on our inner ear drums. After a week I put the stock muffler back on, same thing, installed the hangers on the floor, then hoisted the muffler into place and put the bolts in. I liked the weight savings, but from home, it's a seven hour drive minimum pulling a trailer to get to any kind of wheeling spot and just couldn't do it.

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Something's not right, my mpg didn't change a bit, and it's been 6500 miles since I installed, get 22-24 mpg hwy, 18 town on 33.5" tires
I would agree. You are somehow getting far better economy then the epa estimates with bigger tires then stock.. Are you driving downhill both ways?

I have 35 inch tires. My Jeep has 10K on it, 6k with the lift and tire and 600 with the pipe.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
... It was ok in normal driving, but towing through the hill country was murder on our inner ear drums. After a week I put the stock muffler back on, ... I liked the weight savings, but from home, it's a seven hour drive minimum pulling a trailer to get to any kind of wheeling spot and just couldn't do it.
I used the Flowmaster American Thunder muffler delete, which appears to be basically the same thing. I too found it noisy towing, so rather than put the stock muffler back on I had the muffler shop weld in the Flowmaster 942544 40 Delta Flow Muffler - 2.50 Offset IN / 2.50 Same Side OUT just behind the resonator. It tucks in perfectly and makes the system only slightly louder than stock.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil

Very unlikely the delete caused any changes. As for the downshifting you just notice it because you can hear it. I think it sounds great and have had nothing but compliments about it. I am running 35's and average 20 plus mpg in the summer. Very happy with the Dynomax delete pipe.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would agree. You are somehow getting far better economy then the epa estimates with bigger tires then stock.. Are you driving downhill both ways?

I have 35 inch tires. My Jeep has 10K on it, 6k with the lift and tire and 600 with the pipe.
Could be crappy winter mix gasoline combined w/ colder temps that has your mpgs going south. I got about 1.5 mpg better w/ stock tires, but around here it's pretty flat and if there's wind, then my mpg goes way south in the 15s on the hwy. Mine's a 2 dr FWIW and a sport, so pretty good weight savings over your 4dr Rube, so I'm sure that adds 3-4mpg.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.