Sponsored

Audio cutting in and out

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
UPDATE

NOTE - THIS IS FOR A 2019 RAM 1500 - same issue as the JL Wrangler. Reference links below.

Rear back-up camera replaced, as well as recall V61 was also completed. I dropped off the truck at 8:45am, but according to my dash cam, the technicians didn't get to it until 6:00pm that evening. I picked up the truck for 7:00pm. Regardless, the camera was replaced and the V61 recall was addressed. No damage. I understand that dealerships are busy this time of the year (winter tire swaps, etc).

FWIW - I personally purchased the rear back-up camera out of pocket. This was the only way to avoid the whole "diagnosing" stage, as the technicians were not able to previously diagnose it (it was in 2-3 times before). When I spoke to the Service Manager regarding my issues, I asked him if he could perform the replacement labour free-of-charge, and he obliged.

When I picked-up the truck in the evening, I spoke with the Service Advisor and the Technician. A few notes:

1. They were not able to replicate the issue. Although when I dropped off the truck that morning, I was experiencing the issue (audio cutting in/out, no rear back-up camera guidelines, etc). When I listened to the dash cam audio when the Technician got to my truck, it appeared that the issue wasn't happening, so it would be impossible to replicate since the truck would need to sit for at least another 30mins turned off, and even then that would only be a chance for it to happen again (weather dependent).

2. All dealerships are privately owned. They only sell and maintain the vehicles. Therefore, they only perform repairs based on what FCA engineers advise. If they cannot diagnose the issue on their own, they look to FCA. If FCA doesn't know, then they don't know. Simple as that.

3. Note every issue, every single time you bring your vehicle in for service. This puts a note on their files, which they officially have to report to FCA for unresolved issues. They say eventually issues get resolved, but it takes time based on volume and urgency. This also puts a record on your profile with the dealership, for when your vehicle is out of warranty and the issue is still there, they have records to fall-back on so they can perform retro-warranty fixes.

4. Any warranty repairs that involve replacing parts, needs to be verified by the dealership with FCA. This is because FCA requires that the part be sent back to them for diagnosing. If the part is not faulty, the dealership gets charged for the part. This presents a few issues, where the dealership will be very critical about diagnosing issues. If they are incorrect with their diagnosis, they will eventually pay for the replacement part. This is the EXACT reason why I decided to purchase the camera myself. It forces the replacement (regardless if you pay for the labour).

Regarding the rear back-up camera, it was as I suspected - there was a hardware part number change. When I did my research for the replacement part number, I found that #68414414AA replaced #68322864AF. I found this odd, considering my truck is a 2019, and there was a revision in the middle of the year. Here's a link for reference: https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-parts/mopar-rear-camera-68414414aa

This is the original camera (I kept it since I purchased the replacement, I own this. This is not to be sent back to FCA). Note the hardware part number (#68322864AF)

sDNRwqEl.jpg

6jRYwSMl.jpg

This is the replacement part number.

z70LruHl.jpg

######################################################​

As most of you can tell, I am obsessed with this issue. I've never been so upset on a new vehicle purchase, yet when the truck works, I love it. Its a love-hate relationship for sure. Will advise in the coming days if the issue returns. Fingers crossed.

Reference Links:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-cutting-in-and-out.16942/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/
Sponsored

tmasonw

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
UPDATE

NOTE - THIS IS FOR A 2019 RAM 1500 - same issue as the JL Wrangler. Reference links below.

Rear back-up camera replaced, as well as recall V61 was also completed. I dropped off the truck at 8:45am, but according to my dash cam, the technicians didn't get to it until 6:00pm that evening. I picked up the truck for 7:00pm. Regardless, the camera was replaced and the V61 recall was addressed. No damage. I understand that dealerships are busy this time of the year (winter tire swaps, etc).

FWIW - I personally purchased the rear back-up camera out of pocket. This was the only way to avoid the whole "diagnosing" stage, as the technicians were not able to previously diagnose it (it was in 2-3 times before). When I spoke to the Service Manager regarding my issues, I asked him if he could perform the replacement labour free-of-charge, and he obliged.

When I picked-up the truck in the evening, I spoke with the Service Advisor and the Technician. A few notes:

1. They were not able to replicate the issue. Although when I dropped off the truck that morning, I was experiencing the issue (audio cutting in/out, no rear back-up camera guidelines, etc). When I listened to the dash cam audio when the Technician got to my truck, it appeared that the issue wasn't happening, so it would be impossible to replicate since the truck would need to sit for at least another 30mins turned off, and even then that would only be a chance for it to happen again (weather dependent).

2. All dealerships are privately owned. They only sell and maintain the vehicles. Therefore, they only perform repairs based on what FCA engineers advise. If they cannot diagnose the issue on their own, they look to FCA. If FCA doesn't know, then they don't know. Simple as that.

3. Note every issue, every single time you bring your vehicle in for service. This puts a note on their files, which they officially have to report to FCA for unresolved issues. They say eventually issues get resolved, but it takes time based on volume and urgency. This also puts a record on your profile with the dealership, for when your vehicle is out of warranty and the issue is still there, they have records to fall-back on so they can perform retro-warranty fixes.

4. Any warranty repairs that involve replacing parts, needs to be verified by the dealership with FCA. This is because FCA requires that the part be sent back to them for diagnosing. If the part is not faulty, the dealership gets charged for the part. This presents a few issues, where the dealership will be very critical about diagnosing issues. If they are incorrect with their diagnosis, they will eventually pay for the replacement part. This is the EXACT reason why I decided to purchase the camera myself. It forces the replacement (regardless if you pay for the labour).

Regarding the rear back-up camera, it was as I suspected - there was a hardware part number change. When I did my research for the replacement part number, I found that #68414414AA replaced #68322864AF. I found this odd, considering my truck is a 2019, and there was a revision in the middle of the year. Here's a link for reference: https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-parts/mopar-rear-camera-68414414aa

This is the original camera (I kept it since I purchased the replacement, I own this. This is not to be sent back to FCA). Note the hardware part number (#68322864AF)

sDNRwqEl.jpg

6jRYwSMl.jpg

This is the replacement part number.

z70LruHl.jpg

######################################################​

As most of you can tell, I am obsessed with this issue. I've never been so upset on a new vehicle purchase, yet when the truck works, I love it. Its a love-hate relationship for sure. Will advise in the coming days if the issue returns. Fingers crossed.

Reference Links:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3822/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...mittent-pauses-in-audio-for-all-sources.3975/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-cutting-in-and-out.16942/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-issue-cutting-in-and-out.16947/
They change the part number, but don't think to let the dealerships know about it. I had been having this issue for over a year and they just replaced my backup camera per MY request; not the FCA's request. FCA even questioned me on the camera replacement, stating " why would the backup camera cause this issue?" Comical! Will post further updates on this thread soon once it gets bitterly cold again. Thanks @RIC3BOY !!!

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
I'm at a full week now, the issue hasn't returned. Get your rear cameras replaced!

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
@JeepCares , I have had the new software loaded. It broke the Apps on the radio. A new radio has been installed with the new software. The problem still exists. I was was working with Chrysler on the problem and they helped with the apps issue, but would not help with the Radio cutting in and out issue. I had to open another STAR case as my last two were closed. New case number 101594. I tried to get FCA to help with getting a new camera installed, and no luck. I tried my dealer, and they said they cannot do anything until the Engineers tell them. I need help. Replacing the backup camera has seemed to work for several people. I have had 3 radios, one custom built by FCA, software updates, an amp all done. The camera is the last piece. Can you please help me get the camera replaced????

Chris

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares , I have had the new software loaded. It broke the Apps on the radio. A new radio has been installed with the new software. The problem still exists. I was was working with Chrysler on the problem and they helped with the apps issue, but would not help with the Radio cutting in and out issue. I had to open another STAR case as my last two were closed. New case number 101594. I tried to get FCA to help with getting a new camera installed, and no luck. I tried my dealer, and they said they cannot do anything until the Engineers tell them. I need help. Replacing the backup camera has seemed to work for several people. I have had 3 radios, one custom built by FCA, software updates, an amp all done. The camera is the last piece. Can you please help me get the camera replaced????

Chris
Hi Chris,
If you would like to PM us, I can open a new case for you on the Customer Care side and suggest this be looked into.
Alex
JeepCares

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I’m taking my wrangler in on Saturday for a software update that’s supposed to fix the cutting in and out. Has anyone had any luck with this or has it not been a help at all? (I see the above post per had a bad experience) I’ll post if I get any more episodes afterwards or not.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLUS here - purchased about a month and a half ago and haven't had any issues, but in the last week I have had the guide lines disappear from my back up camera twice now. The first time it happened when backing into my spot at work. When I used the camera later in the evening, everything was fine again. Then I came and read EVERY damn page of this thread. Holy shit. Anyway, it happened again this morning.

So far, my audio has been fine (knock on wood); the guidelines disappearing has been my only symptom. I know it was established quite a while ago that temperature is not to blame, but it's only now started happening to me since it's been in the 30s here in Georgia. The vehicle stays in the garage at night, but as it gets colder, it's colder in the garage as well. It also sat outside for a little while before I drove it work this morning. Again, not trying to rehash the temperature discussion since people in FL have seen this issue in the 70s, just stating my conditions.

Has anyone had success with the dealer replacing the camera under warranty? I checked and don't see any recalls or TSBs yet, so my assumption is no. What about the part number?

Has anyone replaced the camera themselves on a JL? Since I am likely going to have to pay for the camera out of pocket, hoping to skip the dealer trip on this one unless there is a flash or something else required to get the new one to work.

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
All, I have a 2018 Ruby Unlimited. With help from JeepCares, the dealer just installed camera part number 68452959-AA. I will keep everyone updated if the problem is gone or if it returns.

I would also like to thank Alex @JeepCares. She provided the best customer care I have received from FCA, EVER!!!. Thank you again for your help Alex.

Chris

Sponsored

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
D
All, I have a 2018 Ruby Unlimited. With help from JeepCares, the dealer just installed camera part number 68452959-AA. I will keep everyone updated if the problem is gone or if it returns.

I would also like to thank Alex @JeepCares. She provided the best customer care I have received from FCA, EVER!!!. Thank you again for your help Alex.

Chris
Thanks for the update. Did you have to pay out of pocket or did the dealership switch the camera without charging you?

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
B-man. I had the dealer open a STAR case for the radio problem. Then worked with Jeepcares to help work through the process. . It was covered under warranty.

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
That makes me feel better that there’s a precedent on a camera replacement, as that seems to be the best option at this point. The dealership said the update has to be done so I’m already planning next steps (camera replacement) if/when it doesn’t work.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I set up an appointment for camera replacement next week. Went through the whole process last winter of changing out radio, updating software.... nothing worked apparently because the problem is back now that it is cold out again. I'm sure you've all seen my posts here and in the other thread. Camera replacement seems to be the only documented solution. Don't know why this isn't a know issue and fix due to all the STAR cases out there. Should have been a recall for it!

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
The dealership did a Software update last Saturday that they said is supposed to address this and many other things. No recurrences yet But it’s still early. (Fingers crossed)
Sponsored