Audio cutting in and out

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
From the looks of the service paperwork, it looks like only the camera was replaced as I see no reference to replacement of the wiring harness.

Viper, do you know if they also replaced the wiring harness for the camera as well? My dealer did everything, but replace the camera and I continue to have this issue as I head in month 35, so with 1 month on my warranty, got nervous and I purchased a replacement camera for a 2020 Wrangler to replace myself, but I’m concerned the harness should also be replaced. Thanks for your post.

QUOTE="Ike582, post: 1360716, member: 15960"]
Viper, Fields replaced the backup camera almost 3 months ago, and I've had zero issues since the replacement. My issue was a bit different from yours, my audio system would cut in and out every few seconds, and when the issue arose the backup camera lines would disappear.

The issue would come and go every few days, particularly (but not always) on colder days. I drove into the Fields service department on a day when the issue was happening, and the service rep recorded video of the situation on his phone and added it to my file. They asked me to let them do some research and called me back a few days later saying they have no idea how to fix the issue. Months later other owners were finding success with the backup camera replacement, and Jeep Cares offered to contact my dealer to pave the way for replacement.

The process went very smoothly once the possible solution was identified. I know others have tried replacing the entire Audio/Nav unit, which must be very expensive and time consuming for Jeep, whereas the backup camera fix is a lot quicker, cheaper, and actually WORKS!

Best of luck on your repair.
[/QUOTE]
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Viper, do you know if they also replaced the wiring harness for the camera as well? My dealer did everything, but replace the camera and I continue to have this issue as I head in month 35, so with 1 month on my warranty, got nervous and I purchased a replacement camera for a 2020 Wrangler to replace myself, but I’m concerned the harness should also be replaced. Thanks for your post.

QUOTE="Ike582, post: 1360716, member: 15960"]
Viper, Fields replaced the backup camera almost 3 months ago, and I've had zero issues since the replacement. My issue was a bit different from yours, my audio system would cut in and out every few seconds, and when the issue arose the backup camera lines would disappear.

The issue would come and go every few days, particularly (but not always) on colder days. I drove into the Fields service department on a day when the issue was happening, and the service rep recorded video of the situation on his phone and added it to my file. They asked me to let them do some research and called me back a few days later saying they have no idea how to fix the issue. Months later other owners were finding success with the backup camera replacement, and Jeep Cares offered to contact my dealer to pave the way for replacement.

The process went very smoothly once the possible solution was identified. I know others have tried replacing the entire Audio/Nav unit, which must be very expensive and time consuming for Jeep, whereas the backup camera fix is a lot quicker, cheaper, and actually WORKS!

Best of luck on your repair.
[/QUOTE]
I have not taken mine into the dealer yet. I was asking Ike582 what they did to fix his problem. It sounds like my problem is different than his problem. He states it was his back-up camera. I have more than back-up camera issues. My Uconnect, radio, infotainment is all wacked out.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Past couple days my audio system is down to one speaker or maybe just the front dash speakers. Everything works but it’s like the amp is off. No real power sound. Is this the same issue?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Past couple days my audio system is down to one speaker or maybe just the front dash speakers. Everything works but it’s like the amp is off. No real power sound. Is this the same issue?
I does not sound like my problem. I would bring it in and let the dealer look at it.

Pitbaby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL — 2 Door
Mine did this as well. The fix oddly enough was the rear camera had to be replaced.

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Has anyone had the Problem return after their camera was replaced?

Has anyone had a software update actually fix the problem?

Long version:
My radio has had the cutting in/out problem along with no back up camera lines since November 2018. Many others had the same issue. Back then Jeep was trying to fix the problem by replacing people’s radios, amplifiers, and software updates. It seems like it took a year before someone had the backup camera replaced and the issue was fixed. This winter my Jeep became a daily driver, and on cold mornings the issue was there. I went to the dealership to have them fix it, and told them about the camera being the fix for people with the problem.
They discredited the forum 100% and said it wouldn’t be the camera. After a couple hours at the dealership all they did was an update. And said it was fixed. Within 48 hours it did it again. I called to schedule an appointment. The night before my appointment my Jeep received an over the air update. I brought it in, but that morning it was fine. They said they couldn’t do anything because it wasn’t happening. I said I have video showing it happened. You can replace the camera like others have had. They said they can’t just replace the camera, they have to diagnose it and they can’t diagnose it unless it’s happening. I have had Jeep cares involved.
This morning it is 19 degrees out and it did something slightly different. There was no sound on any source, along with the normal no back up lines. I’m at the dealership now to see if they can diagnose it. I’ll post an update when I have one.

update:
The dealership is going to order a new radio. They seem to be dead set against trying to replace the camera.

Last edited:

GT-Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab JL
Occupation
CAD Designer
Had ours replaced over a year ago and have gone through our second winter with the new camera and it has not returned. My dealer replaced the head unit first and didn't do any good, I told them about the camera fix and it's been good since. I must have a good dealer.

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
My dealership, Deacons Jeep in Ohio absolutely stinks. Three times and nothing accomplished even though I brought up the camera all three times. Had the head unit replaced, software updated and lastly took it in for a gateway fix, however the service manager stated that my warranty is voided from having a tazer even though it was an issue prior to the tazer, in which they never completed. Same dealer tried to charge me for $60 to replace an air filter and said tire rotation was not covered under the Jeep program, only to find out later that it was. I ended up buying a 2021 mopar rear camera from bam wholesale for $79, however have not put it in as of yet. If I do, I’ll report back, but this radio issue and the Dealer experience has left such a sour taste that I’m contemplating on trading the Jeep in and never going back. I know the Uconnect has been an issue across all FCA lineup, but ifs it’s a simple $79 camera fix, I suspect the dealerships are trying to fulfill labor hours to go through all these “potential” fixes instead. @JeepCares

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
I replaced my rear camera last Fall and the issue has never returned. Not once.

Has anyone had the Problem return after their camera was replaced?

Has anyone had a software update actually fix the problem?

Long version:
My radio has had the cutting in/out problem along with no back up camera lines since November 2018. Many others had the same issue. Back then Jeep was trying to fix the problem by replacing people’s radios, amplifiers, and software updates. It seems like it took a year before someone had the backup camera replaced and the issue was fixed. This winter my Jeep became a daily driver, and on cold mornings the issue was there. I went to the dealership to have them fix it, and told them about the camera being the fix for people with the problem.
They discredited the forum 100% and said it wouldn’t be the camera. After a couple hours at the dealership all they did was an update. And said it was fixed. Within 48 hours it did it again. I called to schedule an appointment. The night before my appointment my Jeep received an over the air update. I brought it in, but that morning it was fine. They said they couldn’t do anything because it wasn’t happening. I said I have video showing it happened. You can replace the camera like others have had. They said they can’t just replace the camera, they have to diagnose it and they can’t diagnose it unless it’s happening. I have had Jeep cares involved.
This morning it is 19 degrees out and it did something slightly different. There was no sound on any source, along with the normal no back up lines. I’m at the dealership now to see if they can diagnose it. I’ll post an update when I have one.

update:
The dealership is going to order a new radio. They seem to be dead set against trying to replace the camera.

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Wow that’s terrible service. I had my rear camera replaced in January 2020 and no problems since. It sounds like there may not be another dealership you can go to if you’re still dealing with that one.

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Single digit temps and my issue is back. I will be going to a different dealership to see if I can get the camera replaced to resolve it. Anyone with the camera replaced have the issue come back? I haven’t seen much posted on this problem lately so I’m assuming most people have had it fixed, and newer Jeeps don’t have it?

OHIIIIIIIO

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara
Single digit temps and my issue is back. I will be going to a different dealership to see if I can get the camera replaced to resolve it. Anyone with the camera replaced have the issue come back? I haven’t seen much posted on this problem lately so I’m assuming most people have had it fixed, and newer Jeeps don’t have it?
I was so fed up my dealer would not replace the camera, I went online to a Mopar authorized parts wholesaler and purchased a 2020 rear camera for $79 last summer and replaced the camera on my own after watching a few YouTube videos on how to. The issue was resolved and never occurred again, and this is Ohio so we’ve had plenty of freezing temps since. If your dealer will not replace, spend the little money and time to do it yourself, but make sure the camera is the newest possible, mine had a mfg date of 11/2020. Took about 30 min to replace the camera.

wolves26

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ocean Blue, 2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Blue Streak
Vehicle Showcase
I got the run around from a dealer (Ziegler in Downers Grove IL). Jeep Cares told me that they have to follow a process to reproduce the problem. No help from Jeep Cares even though there is a service bulletin on this issue that states the fix is replacing the backup camera. It should not take multiple trips to a dealer and require the dealer to keep your vehicle for multiple days to try and reproduce this problem. After two winters, I said screw it and bought a new backup camera (part number 68452959AB). Installed it myself in 1 hour. Solved the problem. No issues this winter! Sad that a dealer could not do this for me. Jeep service and customer support is terrible.
Sponsored