Steering/Wobble/Wandering/Buyback

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
Will they ever fix the Steering, Wobble, and Wandering in the JL model??? I've bought the 2018 Sahara loaded, had all those issues, did the buyback in hopes that the 2019 Sahara loaded would have that resolved but apparently do NOT. I'm so close to doing another buyback and taking a shot at the 2020. Thoughts?!
Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
My 2020 is fine. Some 2020 JL and Gladiator owners are complaining about steering and wandering issues so problem is ongoing. Maybe you should test drive a few 2020 JL’s and see if you notice a change in steering. I have about an inch of dead spot in my steering wheel but my Jeep steers just fine it’s nice and straight. Sorry you got so unlucky with 2 in a row with awful steering.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have a 2 week old 2020 JLUR and have zero issues. I can drive it with two fingers at highway speeds... no issues.

I really focused on the issue that some folks are having BEFORE I went and test drove. Many folks who have the issue suggest that it occurred “immediately” after leaving the dealer on their way home.

my advice..... go test drive a few if the steering on them is not to your liking, don’t re-up.

I am convinced that there is a problem for some folks. I am also convinced that the problem does not impact all JLs. I am living proof.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Oh, one further point......

we had a “significant cross wind” yesterday here when I was driving on the freeway at about 60 MPH. The JLUR did bow around a bit (hell, a cow is more aerodynamic than a Wrangler) but the steering did not “wander”..... bumps, bridge expansion joints, dips, ...... you name it..... smooth “sailing”.

OP, go take the Jeep you like from the dealer lot. Take it ON THE FREEWAY. Get it up to 60-70 for 10 miles round trip. Like it? Buy it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My 2020 is fine. Some 2020 JL and Gladiator owners are complaining about steering and wandering issues so problem is ongoing. Maybe you should test drive a few 2020 JL’s and see if you notice a change in steering. I have about an inch of dead spot in my steering wheel but my Jeep steers just fine it’s nice and straight. Sorry you got so unlucky with 2 in a row with awful steering.
New avatar?

very “mysterious”!

Sponsored

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
There are fixes for all the issues. I have my steering stabilizer and track bar replaced, no issues. Buyback seems extreme.

Cmace22

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
2020 JLU Rubicon built this month, no wondering. I can drive and make corrections with 2 fingers (factory tires still at 40+psi). Steering does feel lighter than my JK but its not an apples to apple comparison.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Picked up my new 2020 JLRU in August. After 5K miles, I can report NO steering issues. I have had it up to 100 mph and have driven it on several different types of roads. The only thing I had to do was back off the factory 42 PSI down to about 34. Drives fantastic. Again, NO steering issues. I am very pleased with how it drives and handles.

Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
I finally traded in my 2018 MOAB a couple months ago for a 2019 Ford Raptor. My conclusion is that the entire design of the steering and suspension geometry is flawed and the quality of parts being used by FCA on these vehicles is sub par to other manufacturers. Seriously, $55K - $60K MSRP on these vehicles and they rattle all over after 10K miles, the steering experience is horrible, wind intrusion from the A pillar, the seats are horrible etc. Yes the off road prowess is best in class but not worth $60K just for good offroad capability. They should be better and we all who buy them should expect much better vs. just saying oh its a jeep thing. If a jeep thing is defined as poor quality and flawed designs at a very high price, i'm not up for that any longer. I had the steering damper recall done on my Moab and it made very little difference on the steering performance.

Its not an apples to apples comparison in terms of the type of vehicle, but I have to say the quality in my Ford Raptor which comes stock with 35s is so far above a jeep I have been amazed. This thing in all conditions is planted to the road and practically drives itself and has amazingly tight,stabile and responsive steering experience. And when you look at the hardware used on this truck and the steering systems etc, its so far above what my jeep was its not funny. And the prices albeit more expensive is not worlds apart, I bought a well equipped Raptor 2019 left over brand new for $65K. And biggest bonus is I have a 450 HP power plant not a piddly 250 HP V6 that sounds like its going to blow up every time you push it.

Guys sorry to rag here, but am just being honest with myself and my experiences. I love the JLU in many ways, but it can be so much better and jeep owners should expect much more from the manufacturer at this price point.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Model year had nothing to do with the wandering issue. There are some 2020 that have it too. My 2018 had it and it was bought back for electrical issues. My 2019 tracks and drives perfectly.
Best advise should you trade again, test drive well before delivery..

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I finally traded in my 2018 MOAB a couple months ago for a 2019 Ford Raptor. My conclusion is that the entire design of the steering and suspension geometry is flawed and the quality of parts being used by FCA on these vehicles is sub par to other manufacturers. Seriously, $55K - $60K MSRP on these vehicles and they rattle all over after 10K miles, the steering experience is horrible, wind intrusion from the A pillar, the seats are horrible etc. Yes the off road prowess is best in class but not worth $60K just for good offroad capability. They should be better and we all who buy them should expect much better vs. just saying oh its a jeep thing. If a jeep thing is defined as poor quality and flawed designs at a very high price, i'm not up for that any longer. I had the steering damper recall done on my Moab and it made very little difference on the steering performance.

Its not an apples to apples comparison in terms of the type of vehicle, but I have to say the quality in my Ford Raptor which comes stock with 35s is so far above a jeep I have been amazed. This thing in all conditions is planted to the road and practically drives itself and has amazingly tight,stabile and responsive steering experience. And when you look at the hardware used on this truck and the steering systems etc, its so far above what my jeep was its not funny. And the prices albeit more expensive is not worlds apart, I bought a well equipped Raptor 2019 left over brand new for $65K. And biggest bonus is I have a 450 HP power plant not a piddly 250 HP V6 that sounds like its going to blow up every time you push it.

Guys sorry to rag here, but am just being honest with myself and my experiences. I love the JLU in many ways, but it can be so much better and jeep owners should expect much more from the manufacturer at this price point.
dang bro. I know you’re right, but you’re walking on my heart here. Go easy, please go easy. I comfort myself with the knowledge that at 15k in mods, I’ve worked through half the issues. Raptor, your days on top are numbered!! just wait till I install an LS engine, long arms and coil overs!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Will they ever fix the Steering, Wobble, and Wandering in the JL model??? I've bought the 2018 Sahara loaded, had all those issues, did the buyback in hopes that the 2019 Sahara loaded would have that resolved but apparently do NOT. I'm so close to doing another buyback and taking a shot at the 2020. Thoughts?!
The steering does have issues with some of the parts (which are seeing some updates) as well as the quality of assembly. But this can get sorted out with some effort and patience, or just replacing the factory shit yourself.

But it will never drive like something with rack and pinion steering and if you expect that you will be constantly unhappy. Perhaps your expectations are not compatible with the JL?

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Model year had nothing to do with the wandering issue. There are some 2020 that have it too. My 2018 had it and it was bought back for electrical issues. My 2019 tracks and drives perfectly.
Best advise should you trade again, test drive well before delivery..
I Believe 90% of the issues are caused by Cheap Mexican and Chinese parts with Plug and play techs who have 0 troubleshooting skills or experience. All seem to be just parts changers IMHO hoping the next part will fix the issue and we all go away. The current trend of spending thousands of dollars to fix FCA's lack of QC boggles the mind..

No matter what brand u buy its how their Service Department treats you means a lot. If your treated well most will be more understanding. Treat them bad and well most will Trade for a different brand or go fix it themselves. Seems Jeep should fix their product and the lack of customer service nationwide most tend to receive...My 19 JLUR goes back in the shop monday for the 7th time and has a case# now. I'm sure they will say its normal like the 6 times before. Except now i have recorded footage that proves otherwise......I love wranglers i've owned many but im slowly falling outa love...Good Luck all!
Sponsored