First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Wowza. So I was all ready to pull the trigger at Criswell, but they offered me a whopping 10k for my trade in which is black booked for 17k. Totally negates any savings on the 8%. Lol. I got instant local offers for 16500, but then I have to pay tax on that difference which amounts to over 1k in taxes. Search continues for a dealer to do 8% and give me a reasonable deal on my trade.

If you're selling locally or not trading I'm sure they work fine. But for trade in I'm moving on. I'll try Koons and Brown next.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Too bad about that trade-in value. They gave me top dollar on my 2016 Audi S5 based only on some photos. I was surprised.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
The quest goes on. So far I have had local offers around 17, but of the 8% dealers I have had 10, 11, and 15k. I'm in no rush so whenever someone says 17 we can start signing. One dealer said we will just figure it out when you pick it up? Like I'm going to hand you 1k non-refundable and just show up for you to lowball me by 7k??? lol. Why must we do the song and dance...

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The " deal" can depend on the salesperson to a great extent, and of course, everyone has to be on the same page as to trade in vehicles condition and regional marketability.
Some people expect "retail value", instead of "trade in value".
If a better deal is available (after factoring in tax differential, convenience, repairs needed ) by private sale, go for that. Cash deals, no trades, are usually the best for the buyer.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
The " deal" can depend on the salesperson to a great extent, and of course, everyone has to be on the same page as to trade in vehicles condition and regional marketability.
Some people expect "retail value", instead of "trade in value".
If a better deal is available (after factoring in tax differential, convenience, repairs needed ) by private sale, go for that. Cash deals, no trades, are usually the best for the buyer.
I may have to look into that but then how do I get there. Now I’m factoring in airfare or car rental.

I used KBB and a KBB instant cash offer. I’ll check with carmax tomorrow. Those places are pegging me 15-18k for good condition which means some rust and leaks which my car is pristine except for 3 small (less than 3mm) chips and one small ding. I used the dealer area code for running numbers.

I checked a used one on carmax that has less miles than mine but is a trim level lower with no adaptive cruise. Carmax was selling it for 22k.
So offering me 10 is just ludicrous.

I’m a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to finally pulling the trigger for my 40th but what a pain this is becoming. My previous car buying experiences were much simpler. Local prices -43 just shy of MSRP so they are an immediate no go.

Oh well. Waiting to hear back from Coons. Browns offered me 8.75 under invoice but was equally bad on trade. I may try carmax and if they are decent will see if there is one near the dealership. Drive down, turn in, Uber to the dealer.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Maybe talk to the General Manager at Criswell, nothing to lose , worth a shot.
How many miles on your trade ? Most trades get wholesaled out immediately , especially if high miles, dealers want to move their new stock, no warranty issues

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Maybe talk to the General Manager at Criswell, nothing to lose , worth a shot.
How many miles on your trade ? Most trades get wholesaled out immediately , especially if high miles, dealers want to move their new stock, no warranty issues
2014 Volvo XC60 T6 Platinum AWD with
Tech, climate, inscription, Blis, HD headlamps, and adaptive cruise. 70k miles. Detailed regularly, garaged, no accidents. Interior is pretty mint. Exterior has some minor wear. No mechanical issues and full service records.

I found one without inscription or adaptive cruise a trim level down with about 50k miles on carmax for 22k. One that has as many miles and is a base trim 2wd no options was on carmax for 16500. Not sure why I’m getting low balled so hard. Thought this would be a quick deal. Oh well. No car means no car payments. Lol.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As you said, trade in range is such that you should get that 17,000 + ...
Try Criswell again, or come up to Central NY, and get a deal that will make the trip worthwhile.
Cooper Jeep, Kevin Royce, sales Richfield Springs NY. 315-858-1350

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
As you said, trade in range is such that you should get that 17,000 + ...
Try Criswell again, or come up to Central NY, and get a deal that will make the trip worthwhile.
Cooper Jeep, Kevin Royce, sales Richfield Springs NY. 315-858-1350
You have a good experience with cooper or work there? Cause if you’re willing to match the prices I’m getting quoted AND do a good deal on my trade that’s worth 2 more hour drive.

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I've had great " buying experience " at Cooper Jeep, and a fellow forum member from New Jersey did as well. I don't work for them, but am happy to recommend them.
Give Kevin Royce a call, see what's available, they have a good selection of JLs and JTs
"Alucard 77 " on this forum bought a JLU Sahara from them in September, check out his experience.

Screenshot_20191031-231159.jpg

Sponsored

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I see your in ohio. I dont know if itd be closer for you but Tom Kelley in Decatur Indiana will get you at least 7% off I had to work with them but I managed to get 8% off with tread lightly or other affiliate discounts. They were great to work with and they gave me more than a fair value on my trade in. If you decide to try them ask for dan hall. Here's his contact info 260-301-5104 or email is [email protected]

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Yeah I doubt you are going to get your cake and eat it too. The dealer needs to make a couple of bucks somewhere. We ALL think our cars are worth more than they are at a dealer. Dealer is never going to give you blue book value without making it up to some extent on the purchase. If you get the great deal on new be expecting to get “wholesale” value on your trade. That is far lower than blue book.

Carmax will be wholesale value because they will write you a check without you buying a car from them so they need to make a few bucks. I will be very surprised if you find the 8% deal on new and get your wanting price on the trade.

Your best bet is to sell your self if that is your bottom line.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Criswell offered my 4 thousand less for my JL than a random BMW dealership that had a lightly used Rubicon for sale.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Cooper Jeep, Richfield Springs, NY is doing Invoice on the 2019s , that's to start.
2018 JLU Sahara, Sport are deeply discounted demos, warranty will date from your purchase date.. Worth a try.
They don't add on all that extra " fees" that some of the "super price too good to be true"
Dealers slide in.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I see your in ohio. I dont know if itd be closer for you but Tom Kelley in Decatur Indiana will get you at least 7% off I had to work with them but I managed to get 8% off with tread lightly or other affiliate discounts. They were great to work with and they gave me more than a fair value on my trade in. If you decide to try them ask for dan hall. Here's his contact info 260-301-5104 or email is [email protected]
Thanks, Sent an email . They're much closer so hopefully willing to play ball.

Side note, Farrish Jeep in Fairfax VA is doing 8.5% under invoice, Brown is doing 8.75%. If you don't have trade ins those seem like good places to go.
Sponsored