Sponsored

If anyone had doubts about partial frontal collisions with a wrangler...

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
I don't have any pictures yet (and couldn't take any myself), and i know that would get this thread more interesting for you folks, but in any case...

The street lights down where i live were offline today, and the highway had a 4 way stop active (so i-go-you-go). We were back on our wedding anniversary...200m from the house, when it was my turn to cross...a woman in a red car (small 20k buick iirc) apparently didn't see it was a stop sign (even though the other lanes were all stopped) and rammed headfirst into the jeep at highway speed into the left half of the bumper (steel).

The shock was loud, and strong and i was spun around 90 degrees as she crash coursed along the highway about 100 feet further. The bags popped, and my face got the bag on the nose...but otherwise, me and the wife got nothing but a bit of a headache (which is a bit logical given the airbags speed). The medics came in and were amazed at how solid the jeep was...the other car was completely wrecked and the woman carried away by ambulance, i've honestly no idea how serious her injuries was.

The police told me to drive the jeep off the highway, and that's about it for us. I decided (for insurance purposes) to have the jeep inspected in depth because we never know what damage could be lying under there, but we are safe and sound, and not in a hospital...and we'll still get to celebrate our wedding anniversary tonight.

I know cars are supposed to crump and all, but...after what i saw today, i can't help but think that any "soft" car would have been much worse.

Stay safe guys

Edit: here are some pictures. In retrospect, the impact was obviously angled, not full frontal, otherwise the other car wouldn't have "slided" on the bumper as it did. Still impressive to me.

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6273.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't have any pictures yet (and couldn't take any myself), and i know that would get this thread more interesting for you folks, but in any case...

The street lights down where i live were offline today, and the highway had a 4 way stop active (so i-go-you-go). We were back on our wedding anniversary...200m from the house, when it was my turn to cross...a woman in a red car (small 20k pontiac iirc) apparently didn't see it was a stop sign (even though the other lanes were all stopped) and rammed headfirst into the jeep at highway speed into the left half of the bumper (steel).

The shock was loud, and strong and i was spun around 90 degrees as she crash coursed along the highway about 100 feet further. The bags popped, and my face got the bag on the nose...but otherwise, me and the wife got nothing but a bit of a headache (which is a bit logical given the airbags speed). The medics came in and were amazed at how solid the jeep was...the other car was completely wrecked and the woman carried away by ambulance, i've honestly no idea how serious her injuries was.

The police told me to drive the jeep off the highway, and that's about it for us. I decided (for insurance purposes) to have the jeep inspected in depth because we never know what damage could be lying under there, but we are safe and sound, and not in a hospital...and we'll still get to celebrate our wedding anniversary tonight.

I know cars are supposed to crump and all, but...after what i saw today, i can't help but think that any "soft" car would have been much worse.

Stay safe guys
Glad you and the wife are ok.

ecentric

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 Ocean Blue
Having had a couple wrecks in my life (including totalling my TJ), I'm glad you're safe. You'll probably have a headache tomorrow too, get to the ER if new symptoms pop up, and make sure to get evaluated for PT if you end up with any stiffness.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Watch yourselves tonight and tomorrow carefully. Sometimes injuries don't appear for 24-48 hours.

Glad you and your wife are ok, and that you will be celebrating your anniversary! One you won't forget, that's for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Got some pictures today...thought you'd like to see the actual damage for yourself.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to hear that you, and your wife were not seriously injured. And, I'm quite impressed with the bumper of the Jeep. It stood up to the job.

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Thanks guys, and yeah i absolutely agree...that bumper did more than its job. The medic team team couldn't believe the difference. Had we been in our Santa Fe...the cars would have embedded into each other and the buick and all the energy of the impact would have been onto the cars/us. By sending the other car sliding off and away, i think alot of the impact energy was diverted. It might have saved the woman's life as well.

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Glad y’all are safe. I’m very curious to see if the Jeep is totaled from frame damage. That was a pretty serious impact.

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Yeah i'll keep you posted, it depends if they find other system damages too...like the sway bar disconnect, lockers...and all the tiny things that needs replacing. That stuff can cost alot quickly. I think if they reach 70% of the value it's gone. That said, a wrangler is expensive, they for sure will try to repair it before sending a new one. Both airbags will be 10k right from the start.

WestlakeHorn

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Mentioned above but make sure they inspect the frame closely. That bumper likely transferred some of that energy back to the frame.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Glad you and the misses are ok OP and regardless, hope the other woman is too, 'cause accidents are accidents for a reason.

Also, on a side note, all these "Steel Bumpers made a difference" Thread are a good enough reason to order it, even if you plan on upgrading, more just to be safe.
Sponsored