Sponsored

If anyone had doubts about partial frontal collisions with a wrangler...

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
I'll certainly have the frame inspected.There could be more damage under that we don't know, but i'll keep you posted.

As for the other woman, there's something about -paying attention to the road- these days....all i know is she didn't see the jeep's led lights in front of her (not just daylights, fogs and low beams were on too), didn't see the stop sign (even if temporary), didn't see the 8 cars stopped and waiting to cross on the right lane, and didn't notice that the street light had no red, yellow or green lights. I don't know what she was doing, but certainly not looking in front of her, otherwise she'd have tried to brake or simply veer 2 feet off her lane to avoided me. No one heard her brake. I do wish she's safe, but i also wish she's learned something or two from it.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I'll certainly have the frame inspected.There could be more damage under that we don't know, but i'll keep you posted.

As for the other woman, there's something about -paying attention to the road- these days....all i know is she didn't see the jeep's led lights in front of her (not just daylights, fogs and low beams were on too), didn't see the stop sign (even if temporary), didn't see the 8 cars stopped and waiting to cross on the right lane, and didn't notice that the street light had no red, yellow or green lights. I don't know what she was doing, but certainly not looking in front of her, otherwise she'd have tried to brake or simply veer 2 feet off her lane to avoided me. No one heard her brake. I do wish she's safe, but i also wish she's learned something or two from it.
Oh of course, I don't want her to get off Scott free and stuff, but again, doubt she was Kamikaze there either.

People these days though just prove that Slipknot was right, smh

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Glad you and the wife came through that OK. Watch the upper back and neck for signs later on of injuries. Having been in a 60 mph smash/spin/total wreck I know firsthand how we can feel fine but have hidden spinal damage.
Keep us posted on what is found out about the Jeep's frame - I for one am very curious to see what the "experts" say about that given how not much crumpled...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

She could've fallen asleep. Happens quite often and people never say they did ;)

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
So the insurance company has done their job, and the shop is working on the truck still. Some of the parts were back ordered, hence the delay. The amount of damage done (including work time and things like grease anti-rust treatment, 3m on the front grille and wheel alignment ) is about 13 000 $ Canadian so about 10k usd. Things add up fast.

There is a front portion of the frame (that goes to connect to the bumper) that needed replacement, and a plethora of parts linked to the actual bumper. The grille (and all its layers) and the the radiator bracket had to be changed. The big $ was the time required to do all that, mostly because the frame job implied to remove a lot of drive train parts before actually being able to start.

The repair shop guy who've seen a JK in an almost identical accident a year ago did mention that the JL seemed to be far more solid than before: the frame itself wasn't bent, and the engine had virtually no damage.

Silly enough: the fog led lights inside the bumper had absolutely no marks.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

imagine if you had a beefy aftermarket steel bumper. it probably would have survived and wrecked that buick even more. use the $1k the insurance gives you for a new stock bumper to get something sweet up front :like:

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looks like her front bumper slid underneath yours, causing your bumper to just slice through most of her car. Anyway, I'm glad you're ok. Wrecks like that are scary stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oakwolf

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Yeah...if we can actually call that plastic moulded piece a bumper. It's fortunate for her that she could use my solid bumper as a sliding ramp...if we had been 2 "crumpers", we'd have imbedded together and the results would have been much worse (she continued for 100 feet...that's alot of energy we avoided).

As for the OEM steel bumper, I feel it did its job rather well although yeah it was completely trashed. Had i had something more brutish, the steel parts of it would have suffered less, but the impact would very likely still have done the same damage to the frame. It'd depends on the specifics of the aftermarket bumper, and how it connects with the frame.

If i had a brush guard, it would have prevented the hood of the Buick from scraping the grille though.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
imagine if you had a beefy aftermarket steel bumper. it probably would have survived and wrecked that buick even more. use the $1k the insurance gives you for a new stock bumper to get something sweet up front :like:
I think the stock steel bumper behave exactly as it should, not too little not too much. If you put a very heavy, thick, aftermarket steel bumper and happen to hit another vehicle in a bad way such as a T-bone or rear end a small car with kids on the back, or hit a pedestrian, you could end up killing someone because they'd absorb all of the impact energy. Even if it is the drivers fault, I would rather 1,000,000 times to have both vehicles totaled (mine and theirs) than to have someone killed.

I honestly think the Mopar steel bumper gives you a very good balance, while some of the aftermarket ones are just too dangerous.

I need to get rid of the plastic bumper and get a steel one.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

But..but..but.. “they gave the Wrangler 1 star safety rating!”
if that was Europe, they focus heavily on collisions with pedestrians. thats why the mustang has the more sloped front end now. wrangler says F pedestrians! :rock::jk:

US safety ratings focus more on the vehicle occupants. new vehicles are all about crumple zones. as we can see in this thread, since the Wrangler still is body on frame, it doesnt conform to crumple zone theory very much. probably why other body on frame suvs and pick ups also tend to score poorly

Sally

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Saraha
I don't have any pictures yet (and couldn't take any myself), and i know that would get this thread more interesting for you folks, but in any case...

The street lights down where i live were offline today, and the highway had a 4 way stop active (so i-go-you-go). We were back on our wedding anniversary...200m from the house, when it was my turn to cross...a woman in a red car (small 20k buick iirc) apparently didn't see it was a stop sign (even though the other lanes were all stopped) and rammed headfirst into the jeep at highway speed into the left half of the bumper (steel).

The shock was loud, and strong and i was spun around 90 degrees as she crash coursed along the highway about 100 feet further. The bags popped, and my face got the bag on the nose...but otherwise, me and the wife got nothing but a bit of a headache (which is a bit logical given the airbags speed). The medics came in and were amazed at how solid the jeep was...the other car was completely wrecked and the woman carried away by ambulance, i've honestly no idea how serious her injuries was.

The police told me to drive the jeep off the highway, and that's about it for us. I decided (for insurance purposes) to have the jeep inspected in depth because we never know what damage could be lying under there, but we are safe and sound, and not in a hospital...and we'll still get to celebrate our wedding anniversary tonight.

I know cars are supposed to crump and all, but...after what i saw today, i can't help but think that any "soft" car would have been much worse.

Stay safe guys

Edit: here are some pictures. In retrospect, the impact was obviously angled, not full frontal, otherwise the other car wouldn't have "slided" on the bumper as it did. Still impressive to me.

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6273.JPG
Glad the Lord was with you!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
if that was Europe, they focus heavily on collisions with pedestrians. thats why the mustang has the more sloped front end now. wrangler says F pedestrians! :rock::jk:

US safety ratings focus more on the vehicle occupants. new vehicles are all about crumple zones. as we can see in this thread, since the Wrangler still is body on frame, it doesnt conform to crumple zone theory very much. probably why other body on frame suvs and pick ups also tend to score poorly
Yea lol, I was trying to be sarcastic :LOL:
Sponsored