Sponsored

Tazer vs Flashcal vs other JL programmers

What programmer are you getting and why?

• Total voters

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
For what I need I went FlashCal. Taker was too expensive for a bunch of extra worthless features.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
RubenZ
That's nice. :CWL:

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
@joe@zauto - Does the Tazer need to stay plugged in? if I remove it, will the modified settings default back to stock? Also, I read that going with larger tires means the transmission needs to have different shift points. Will changing the tire size to calibrate the speedo also update the shift points?

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
@joe@zauto - Does the Tazer need to stay plugged in? if I remove it, will the modified settings default back to stock? Also, I read that going with larger tires means the transmission needs to have different shift points. Will changing the tire size to calibrate the speedo also update the shift points?
Once programmed, it can be removed and the settings will stay.

As for the transmission, despite popular belief and what some may claim, the 8 speed trans is constantly relearning and isn’t affected by the tire size or gear ratio programming. This is no matter how you go about programming being that Tazer, Flashcal, our dealer. The transmission will slowly adjust to what it determines to be the best scenario for your tire/gear combo based on engine load as you drive. So initially you may see it not getting into 7th or 8th gear... but after a couple hundred miles you will find it’ll improve (still may not get to 8th if you have large tires and didn’t re-gear).

Removing the tazer keeps any LIVE features from working, like hood alarm, ESS memory, sway bar/locker control on Rubicons. TurnCam, etc.

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Once programmed, it can be removed and the settings will stay.

As for the transmission, despite popular belief and what some may claim, the 8 speed trans is constantly relearning and isn’t affected by the tire size or gear ratio programming. This is no matter how you go about programming being that Tazer, Flashcal, our dealer. The transmission will slowly adjust to what it determines to be the best scenario for your tire/gear combo based on engine load as you drive. So initially you may see it not getting into 7th or 8th gear... but after a couple hundred miles you will find it’ll improve (still may not get to 8th if you have large tires and didn’t re-gear).

Removing the tazer keeps any LIVE features from working, like hood alarm, ESS memory, sway bar/locker control on Rubicons. TurnCam, etc.
@joe@zauto - Killer, thank you for the quick response! Is there still a forum discount?

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@joe@zauto - Killer, thank you for the quick response! Is there still a forum discount?
Unfortunately due to MAP pricing agreements we have with out retailers, we can’t directly give any discounts on JL products, the only exception being for military/veterans.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Unfortunately due to MAP pricing agreements we have with out retailers, we can’t directly give any discounts on JL products, the only exception being for military/veterans.
@joe@zauto, no worries, brother. Thanks for letting me know. Again, I appreciate the responsiveness.

Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
@joe@zauto

I'm about to pull the trigger on a mini. How does one access the vet/mil discount? THANKS!

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@joe@zauto

I'm about to pull the trigger on a mini. How does one access the vet/mil discount? THANKS!
Thank you for your service!
Please text me at the phone number listed on the “contact us” page of the z auto website. I’ll send back how to get the discount.

majorbison

First Name
dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Bring it back to life - I only want speedo calibration and the ability to lock the rear axle in 2/4 hi....is the tazer the only one that can do this?

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Thank you for your service!
Please text me at the phone number listed on the “contact us” page of the z auto website. I’ll send back how to get the discount.

joe@zauto, do you also have a first responder discount? We have a base Sport so the Tazer lite will probably work best for us since at the time we only need to update for the tire size. We will be regearing soon and will also need to adjust for that. Until we save up the money after all this we will be upgrading lights and other such items.

From what I understand, the Lite can be upgraded to have the other features of the Mini also, correct?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored