Static from speakers after installing lights on aux switch 3

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
So I installed two A pillar LED lights on my '19 JLUR and wired them to the factory installed AUX switch 3. Everything works fine with the lights, but If I have the radio (8.4 inch) on, I hear static coming from the speakers as soon as I turn the lights on, and it goes away when I turn them off. Any ideas on what could this be?
Sponsored

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
So I installed two A pillar LED lights on my '19 JLUR and wired them to the factory installed AUX switch 3. Everything works fine with the lights, but If I have the radio (8.4 inch) on, I hear static coming from the speakers as soon as I turn the lights on, and it goes away when I turn them off. Any ideas on what could this be?
Happened to me on my JK after A pillar LED's and now with the JL too

Still don't know the reason behind it

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Putting ferrite chokes on the wires might help.

OP
OP
reldausa

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
Did you ground to the chassis or to negative post of the batteries? Might be better directly to batteries.
I did it to the chassis, specifically to the bolt they provide you with to ground, right next to the switch wires

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I did it to the chassis, specifically to the bolt they provide you with to ground, right next to the switch wires
Did you run the wires into the cabin in the passenger's side door well? There are wires for the aux switches right by the battery...

OP
OP
reldausa

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
Did you run the wires into the cabin in the passenger's side door well? There are wires for the aux switches right by the battery...
I ran them to the wires next to the battery

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Installed two sets. Spot and flood lights. Wired them into my own diy switch panel. Flood light switch is okay but spot light switch causes so much static that I can't hear anything from the radio. Just wondering if there's a fix for it.

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Installed two sets. Spot and flood lights. Wired them into my own diy switch panel. Flood light switch is okay but spot light switch causes so much static that I can't hear anything from the radio. Just wondering if there's a fix for it.
Try some better lights. Some LED's give off Radio Frequency Interference. Usually your better ones are ok.
Sponsored