Sponsored

How to self jump

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm not offended @digitalbliss . I might be if it were my question you were sidetracking with "comedy."

Rather, you're just acting like you started hitting the beer a bit earlier than most. Don't. Please.

OP: @Jaym according to the ESS wiring diagram https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/FUSES---BATTERY---ESS.pdf … and you will have to blow this PDF up quite a bit to see, on the left most side of the page it shows that your power pack's positive should connect to N2 on the higher order fuses of the Power Distribution Center (let me know if you need clarification on this).

Make sure you only come into contact with N2, not any neighboring high order fuses.

But before you do, disconnect all leads to your positive post on your main battery, and ground your power pack's negative.

I'd like Jerry @Jebiruph to confirm, but I think this is how you can get your power pack to directly connect to your ESS/Aux battery.

Once you crank, disconnect your power pack and carefully rehook the positive lead to the main battery.

Now @digitalbliss is the time for jokes. My suggestion: make some double entendre of the word "blow" above. Show some meme of someone literally blowing up a PDF file.
Thanks Dad. I guess someone here died huh?
Sponsored

Last edited:

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Dang, Rahn...

I had put you on ignore previously, and just last night I reviewed that list, and took you off, because you do have useful input occasionally.

Witness your first post on this thread. My first thought was “I’m glad I took Rahneld off my ignore list! This is useful!”

But then you go thermonuclear over a harmless joke.

Back on the list you go, bud.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I know there are a ton of posts on specific threads that describe all the nitty gritty details about jump starting. I get that the relay to crank is powered via the aux battery and the main battery is the cranking battery. So, if you need to jump start your JL on your solo camp trip because your fridge drained it or whatever accessory, or/and the aux battery is drained or bad, then you might need a big donor vehicle to jump the whole system...at least I think that’s the consensus, right ?

But....
If I use an n1 to n2 jumper and a portable battery jumper rated for 6 liter engines on the large battery—will it start if the aux battery is bad?
The theory that some relay is powered by the aux battery does not make sense to me, but it has no bearing on jump starting. If the aux is good, but drained, instructions for jumpstarting just the aux battery are here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...y-consolidated-information.25377/#post-602294. If the aux is bad, to jump the main battery, follow the instructions (same link) for bypassing the aux battery using the N1 to N2 jumper and disconnecting the aux battery ground cable. Connect the jumper cables to the main battery positive and negative.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Dang, Rahn...

I had put you on ignore previously, and just last night I reviewed that list, and took you off, because you do have useful input occasionally.

Witness your first post on this thread. My first thought was “I’m glad I took Rahneld off my ignore list! This is useful!”

But then you go thermonuclear over a harmless joke.

Back on the list you go, bud.
So a sigh is ….thermonuclear, really? Thereafter is just @digitalbliss being a troll.

Tell you what champ, @digitalbliss, take the time to write an informative answer to someone's question but left less than completely answered because you don't know all the facts and because want to get it right, go back to research the remainder and then see if you enjoy the "fart jokes" of another who spends their time, rather than trying to finish the answer, like Jerry did, making not even funny jokes.

Now that the answer is here, joke all you want.

If it was someone else's joke I'd just ignore it. But this is the comments of a poster with an axe to grind because he insisted on sticking to a factual wrong position in another thread. Sorry @digitalbliss, FCA tells you to take the soft windows out in Sunrider position and that guidance is legally binding.

So @digitalbliss, you just make "jokes" like this with everyone--stick stupid humor in the midst of factual content? Go search your posts, you don't.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
So a sigh is ….thermonuclear, really? Thereafter is just @digitalbliss being a troll.

Tell you what champ, @digitalbliss, take the time to write an informative answer to someone's question but left less than completely answered because you don't know all the facts and because want to get it right, go back to research the remainder and then see if you enjoy the "fart jokes" of another who spends their time, rather than trying to finish the answer, like Jerry did, making not even funny jokes.

Now that the answer is here, joke all you want.

If it was someone else's joke I'd just ignore it. But this is the comments of a poster with an axe to grind because he insisted on sticking to a factual wrong position in another thread. Sorry @digitalbliss, FCA tells you to take the soft windows out in Sunrider position and that guidance is legally binding.

So @digitalbliss, you just make "jokes" like this with everyone--stick stupid humor in the midst of factual content? Go search your posts, you don't.
Dude, get off it. The joke was not directed or addressed to you in any way. Truely, I could not have cared less if you had posted or not. It was literally a play on words joke. The title of this thread is "How to self jump". I posted a wiki article explaining how to jump. At least 3 people have liked that post INCLUDING the OP that originally asked the question. You are the only one with an axe to grind. YOU are the problem.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The theory that some relay is powered by the aux battery does not make sense to me, but it has no bearing on jump starting. If the aux is good, but drained, instructions for jumpstarting just the aux battery are here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...y-consolidated-information.25377/#post-602294. If the aux is bad, to jump the main battery, follow the instructions (same link) for bypassing the aux battery using the N1 to N2 jumper and disconnecting the aux battery ground cable. Connect the jumper cables to the main battery positive and negative.
Thanks for wading through the Pissing Match to give good information !

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
thank you for the link! all the more why I hate this d*mn ESS! :)

OP
OP
Jaym

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks everyone. A printable card / job aid we all can throw on our jeeps with the jumper would be prudent so we can reference it out in the field. I may try to make one someday. I appreciate everyone’s effort who did additional research.

Also, let’s all try to get along. We’re not XJ’s.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Would a diagram like this with instructions added help? It wouldn't include the diagram in the lower right, I just added it for reference.

jumper diagram.PNG
This is for the 3.6, would it be the same for the 2.0, with its 48v lithium ion battery ?
I made a Jumper, as per the 3.6 set up, would be great if its "dual system"
Thanks for all you've done on this, hope it's not a dumb question...

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is for the 3.6, would it be the same for the 2.0, with its 48v lithium ion battery ?
I made a Jumper, as per the 3.6 set up, would be great if its "dual system"
Thanks for all you've done on this, hope it's not a dumb question...
I am not very familiar with the 2.0 system, but since it doesn't have an Aux battery, none of the Aux battery issues nor jumper threads will apply. Do not install the jumper you made, I don't think there is any need for it and I do not know what it will do on your 2.0 system.

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I am not very familiar with the 2.0 system, but since it doesn't have an Aux battery, none of the Aux battery issues nor jumper threads will apply. Do not install the jumper you made, I don't think there is any need for it and I do not know what it will do on your 2.0 system.
The 2.0 has a 12v full size battery, same location as the 3.6 battery ; the 48v lithium ion powers the BSG for ESS operation, to give that half wheel rotation for ESS.
When the 3.6 gets this BSG, "mild hybrid" , then we'll all be in the same "electrical page"
The European 2.0 is set up like the 3.6, no BSG and 48v lithium ion battery. I like that simpler set up, but CAFE demands rule what we get...

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.0 has a 12v full size battery, same location as the 3.6 battery ; the 48v lithium ion powers the BSG for ESS operation, to give that half wheel rotation for ESS.
When the 3.6 gets this BSG, "mild hybrid" , then we'll all be in the same "electrical page"
The European 2.0 is set up like the 3.6, no BSG and 48v lithium ion battery. I like that simpler set up, but CAFE demands rule what we get...
Not a CAFE demand, the Cherokee has a turbo 2.0 with a single battery ESS system.