Sponsored

New guy consider used 2018 JLU Rubi

TravelingMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited Mojito!
Hello,

New guy here. Considering trading my 2017 4x4 Ram Sport in for a gently used 2018 JLU Rubicon with about 5k miles. Rubi is pretty much loaded up with all the “bells and whistles”. My truck is paid off, so it looks like my net trade will be about $15k out of pocket.

I like my truck, but the JLU keeps calling...lol. Just not sure I want to pay $15k for a similarly equipped vehicle albeit a JEEP!

Anyone go from a Ram to a Jeep? Any regrets?

Thanks...and I’m enjoying reading everyone’s threads on lots of great looking Jeeps!
Sponsored

O'Doyle

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Digital Customer Service Manager
I went from a 2010 Ram 1500 to a JLU Sport S. I couldn't be happier. Albeit I didnt tow but maybe 1 time in the 3 years I had the truck so it was an easy change for me

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
B5BFCFFB-DF5D-4A6C-BFC8-F71D1886891C.jpeg
View attachment 185212 I went from a string of 3 Cummins 4wd duallys. 6 Toyota 4wd pickups before that. Needed them then. Don’t now.
Admired Jeeps all my life, but I’ve always been frugal, and a one vehicle man. (2 when I was married). Driving is joy again to me, with my JLU.
I don’t fully understand why I love this little rascal so much, but I do.
I park it in such a way that I can look out my picture window to admire it.
Do it. Buy you a durn Jeep.

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I agree with @brazos your trade value seems low on the ram. I just sold my 2012 2wd Silverado for 18,500 with 98k miles. Needless it was lifted with a few extras and very well maintained. Besides that still don’t regret selling my rado for my 2018 JLU sport. I’m with everyone though. My Jeep makes me and my girl smile when we drive it.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I agree with @brazos your trade value seems low on the ram. I just sold my 2012 2wd Silverado for 18,500 with 98k miles. Needless it was lifted with a few extras and very well maintained. Besides that still don’t regret selling my rado for my 2018 JLU sport. I’m with everyone though. My Jeep makes me and my girl smile when we drive it.
I edited out my thoughts on the trade value before your post, Maverick. Wasn’t sure if they were useful. Sorry.
I was flat amazed at the trade value my 2012 Cummins dually with 30k miles brought.
Well-maintained, low-mileage trucks are gold.

OP
OP
TravelingMan

TravelingMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TravelingMan : do we happen to know why the JL you mention is being sold?
No sir...I do not. I did wonder about that. Not even going to ask the dealer as I’m sure the answer would be doubtful.

I did look up CarFax and nothing odd showed up on that FWIW....

OP
OP
TravelingMan

TravelingMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the numbers are off (not surprisingly) in favor of the dealer, but early in the game.

My truck is the Night Edition which adds a few of the extras.

I think the biggest hurdle is moving from a Hemi to a 2.0 turbo...:fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
TravelingMan

TravelingMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the heads up on the frame weld. I’ll check it out.

Was this covered by a service bulletin or recall I could check by VIN?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
How much are they asking for the Jeep? A used Jeep with barely any miles on it is quite suspicious.

5c0073r

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Hello,

New guy here. Considering trading my 2017 4x4 Ram Sport in for a gently used 2018 JLU Rubicon with about 5k miles. Rubi is pretty much loaded up with all the “bells and whistles”. My truck is paid off, so it looks like my net trade will be about $15k out of pocket.

I like my truck, but the JLU keeps calling...lol. Just not sure I want to pay $15k for a similarly equipped vehicle albeit a JEEP!

Anyone go from a Ram to a Jeep? Any regrets?

Thanks...and I’m enjoying reading everyone’s threads on lots of great looking Jeeps!
I just went from a 2017 Silverado to a 2019 Rubicon. I loved my Silverado and it was hard to let it go but I’ve always wanted this jeep.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Thanks for the heads up on the frame weld. I’ll check it out.

Was this covered by a service bulletin or recall I could check by VIN?
there was a small recall for track bar welds, no other recall I am aware of. there are pics with good and bad examples in the link below. just visually inspect the welds (not just track bar) and you'll be good to go.

frame weld issue:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-welding-issues.5446/

steering issue:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
No sir...I do not. I did wonder about that. Not even going to ask the dealer as I’m sure the answer would be doubtful.

I did look up CarFax and nothing odd showed up on that FWIW....
If you have the VIN go on FCA and look up what recalls have been preformed also. This could be an indicator if nothing else.

Also, some folks just don’t like how they drive and can’t get over it and some people realize they just needed something bigger for the family.

I know a guy on here who had a beautiful JLUR and got rid of it because he didn’t like the drive back in forth from St Augustine to Orlando he had to make in it. He ended up in a top of the line Cherokee as it was more economical for him.

Moral of the story, IF there was something wrong with it I’m sure it’s fixed but at the end of the day just because it’s for sale with low miles doesn’t mean it’s broken.

I’d say do it!
Sponsored