Rough Country released 2.5 inch lift today for JL Wrangler

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Let's pull this back a little bit. It's kind of insulting to suggest people like me that choose to use a BB can't afford something else. We've had an '07, '12 and '14 JKURs. All off them were fitted with a 2-1/2" Teraflex BB (spacer lift) with an extra 1" spacer in the front to offset the weight of my winch and bumper. On the '14 I stuck a set of Metalcloak lower arms on to dial in the caster, but did nothing on the '12 or '07. I even use the factory shocks with adapters.

I run 35's and drive it from Kansas City to Moab, wheel all week and then drive it home. We've been going twice a year - summer and winter - since '06 and not one time in those 20+ trips have I been stopped due to a lack of flex. Not one time has any Jeep I've followed, on 35s, did something that I couldn't, regardless of what lift they were running. My JK runs straight and true down the street, doesn't wander, doesn't beat you up, doesn't vibrate, doesn't bounce and I've got less than $600 in the lift, including the lower arms. I'm in Kansas City and welcome anyone to come drive it.

I can afford a more expensive lift, but I chose not to buy one. If I was starting off with a Sport or Sahara, at least on the JK, I might consider a more complete lift since the springs & shocks are not as good as the Rubicons, but I don't know how much better, if any, they are on the JLs.

Anyway, you absolutely do not need a high dollar super-duper megaflex 6000 lift to run hard trails or have a good ride. The JL already has incredible flex from the factory, so doing nothing more than adding a couple inches of height won't suddenly turn it into a piece of crap.

Edit: I should add, when I bought my kit the Teraflex came with everything but a rear trackbar bracket, which I also added, to keep the geometry dialed in. I wouldn't stick some spacers on ONLY, but spacers and brackets to keep it dial-in. . . absolutely.
Agreed. But this site has a mix of persons, including a fair share of big spender "just take my money" types. So for some of those folks the cost difference between $150/$450/$1500 lifts is a much lower concern than for others. I am defintely in the cost/bang for the buck crowd. (I can afford it no problem, but I just don't roll that way.) Spacers if not overdone should be fine. Plus I cut my teeth on old 4x4s where we were often mixing and matching various parts for lifts and other things. Some Mad Max type stuff, lol. Spending $1500 on a lift simply wasn't in the picture and those trucks worked fine.

If I end up getting a JLU base Sport model, I would likely install a mild 1" or so spacer only lift. Maybe at some point I would play around with more lift and different shocks. For a higher lift a kit including longer arms to correct for caster changes can be worthwhile. It's good to have options and there is a place for the various kits depending on user aversion to cost, ability to use a wrench or make modifications, and desire for a fully engineered setup (particularly the latter with a larger lift).
Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Rough country is synonymous with garbage.
You're so full of crap. I love all these people who say it's crap because they just parrot what some other idiot said. They had some problems with their "progressive springs" at the beginning but they fixed it right away. The guy just said he's not doing anything hardcore so this will be just fine. Thanks for the crap advise. BTW have you ever owned a Wrangler?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Thanks for the crap advise. BTW have you ever owned a Wrangler?
Have you ever driven 13 hours across four states in a JK with a Rough Country lift that's been banged around? It's not fun.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Have you ever driven 13 hours across four states in a JK with a Rough Country lift that's been banged around? It's not fun.
I've driven my Jeep JK 2 years ago with my Terra-Flex lift from Los Angeles to Philadelphia and back. It drove like a Wrangler. I can tell you may have ridden in one but never owned one because this is part of the Wrangler experience they drive like nothing else. Good or bad when you're driving a Wrangler you know it.

Haro308

First Name
Haro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited JL Sahara
Hey guys I'm new here and just picked up my first jeep being a JL Sahara. Bottom line what 2.5 or 3" lift should I go with? Not planning on off roading at all.. :)

20180209_084321.jpg

Sponsored

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Had the exact same lift on my JK when I was stationed in Death Valley. No issues and we did EVERYTHING. Love Rough County. If you want "beefier," I just ordered Rubi Express's 2". But even some of the complete systems that are coming out for the JL's are running shock extensions. I read years back, those stock Rubi shocks are made by Bilstein.

Rough Country Suspensions

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roughcountry.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1998 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Sales Supervisor
The 2.5in Jeep JL suspension kit is available right now for $159.95 but we will have a stage 2 kit that will be available this next week for $179.95 what will include bump stops and extended sway bar links. All these parts are made in house in TN which is how we were able to build these so fast.

jl 2.51.jpg

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
You won't be sorry.
It's a spacer lift. I would tell the guy to buy the new Rough Country lift that comes out next week and use the extra $250 he will save on new shocks and toss the extensions.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I never said it was the right way, nor the best way, but after 220,000 miles, in 3 JKURs, I know that you don't NEED to have a high-dollar lift to make a JK taller, sit level and still drive and wheel good.

Edit: Just noticed you bashed me for running spacers literally two posts after telling someone they won't regret running an Evo spacer lift.
What do you expect from know it all kids. They don't know shit until you give them all a try. If a person is planning on just playing around every once in awhile or just going camping you don't need a $3,500 lift.

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Hey guys I'm new here and just picked up my first jeep being a JL Sahara. Bottom line what 2.5 or 3" lift should I go with? Not planning on off roading at all.. :)

20180209_084321.jpg
Yes just buy the Rough Country spacer lift that comes out next week for $179. I would then take the money you save buying that lift compared to the others and buy new longer shocks and toss the extensions.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Haro308

First Name
Haro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited JL Sahara
Yesterday I ordered the stage 1 Rough Country 2.5 lift kit. today I'm trying to cancel it so I can get the stage 2 next week.
Sponsored