DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I thought of that, wasn’t the problem unfortunately.

I’m using the new Midland with the mic controls. Tucks up well with my Uniden behind the dash; I miss analog controls but appreciate the waterproofing afforded by hiding them.

Now if only the microphones themselves were waterproof.

The Uniden Ethernet cable extension I ordered seems to work fine with the Midland, btw.
Sorry, I forgot I already knew your setup. I'm ordering my Midland MXT275 this afternoon, and I'm hoping to make the mock-up or pattern for the antenna mount this weekend. Once I get it right, my brother will make one out of stainless steel or aluminum for me and then I'll be in business. For a moment, I thought about the MXT400, but I really like it all in the mike and 15 watts should be more than enough for how I'm using it.
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Sorry, I forgot I already knew your setup. I'm ordering my Midland MXT275 this afternoon, and I'm hoping to make the mock-up or pattern for the antenna mount this weekend. Once I get it right, my brother will make one out of stainless steel or aluminum for me and then I'll be in business. For a moment, I thought about the MXT400, but I really like it all in the mike and 15 watts should be more than enough for how I'm using it.
NP. When you’re set up let me know and we can meet somewhere to test ‘em out. A couple of other testers with a handheld GMRS and a walkie-talkie and we can make a road trip to see how it all pans out.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
NP. When you’re set up let me know and we can meet somewhere to test ‘em out. A couple of other testers with a handheld GMRS and a walkie-talkie and we can make a road trip to see how it all pans out.
Absolutely!!

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Absolutely!!
So, a cautionary note.

I finally got everything hooked up, cut my power cord to wire it independently of the cigarette lighter, installed and wired up my external speaker, when I discovered the external speaker connection doesn’t work. And there definitely is some problem transmitting to FRS walkie talkies. Volume is way down compared to reception from a handheld GMRS radio or even another walkie talkie.

The speaker seems to be a hardware problem: there’s a speaker on the bottom of the unit, but it isn’t working either. The manual indicates it should work unless an external speaker is hooked up.

The problem with being heard on walkie talkies, I have no idea what that might be.

So test everything thoroughly on your new radio before spending the time to install it properly. Going to call them Monday and try to get a replacement unit.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, a cautionary note.

I finally got everything hooked up, cut my power cord to wire it independently of the cigarette lighter, installed and wired up my external speaker, when I discovered the external speaker connection doesn’t work. And there definitely is some problem transmitting to FRS walkie talkies. Volume is way down compared to reception from a handheld GMRS radio or even another walkie talkie.

The speaker seems to be a hardware problem: there’s a speaker on the bottom of the unit, but it isn’t working either. The manual indicates it should work unless an external speaker is hooked up.

The problem with being heard on walkie talkies, I have no idea what that might be.

So test everything thoroughly on your new radio before spending the time to install it properly. Going to call them Monday and try to get a replacement unit.
Go to a regular channel, then I think you hit the lock button. You then hit the up/down volume. It will switch between the handset speaker, the base speaker, or both. I stumbled across this today. I'd bet the base speaker gives output to your external speaker. Also, when transmitting, be sure you aren't covering the mic hole with your hand. The fat part of my thumb covered my cb mike when talking to a buddy and he told me he could barely hear me. I changed my hold and discovered the issue.

It might not be the lock button, so play with a couple of different buttons on the face, if that doesn't work. To lock, you have to hold down on it for a second or two. To switch speakers, you just hit it quickly.

If it still doesn't work, try it in weather mode. I'll go out and confirm how to do it in a few minutes, but I know you can make that speaker work. I'm just not sure I'm remembering exactly how I did it.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my set up. I mounted the base on the panel below the steering wheel, with the speaker firing outward. I'm still on the 12v plug, but will wire it directly soon. I will swap back and forth between CB and GMRS, depending on which is of primary use with a particular group. I like the loud clear volume of the Midland. It is much louder than the Uniden. Now I just have to get to work on that antenna mount.

znLygzY.jpg
NSn248Z.jpg
NYcKiCz.jpg
MTZfv1o.jpg

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Go to a regular channel, then I think you hit the lock button. You then hit the up/down volume. It will switch between the handset speaker, the base speaker, or both. I stumbled across this today. I'd bet the base speaker gives output to your external speaker.
Thanks, I vaguely recall seeing that in the manual now. Will try it.

Also, when transmitting, be sure you aren't covering the mic hole with your hand. The fat part of my thumb covered my cb mike when talking to a buddy and he told me he could barely hear me. I changed my hold and discovered the issue.
I specifically checked for that, and experimented with multiple radios. My suspicion is that the Midland isn’t transmitting on the right frequency, but offset enough that another GMRS radio can still hear it fine, but a walkie talkie struggles.

I’m going to see about programming my GMRS or Ham handheld to listen on different frequencies to see if it’s louder somewhere near the right freqs.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Has anyone found good GMRS mounting options for the JL? I am so confused looking at all of these threads. I want either a hood mount or rear spare tire mount. What options are there for a plug and play install?

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Has anyone found good GMRS mounting options for the JL? I am so confused looking at all of these threads. I want either a hood mount or rear spare tire mount. What options are there for a plug and play install?
I made my own. It's a bit rusty because this is an untreated prototype and has been in use for last 3 months. Works pretty well!

jl_antenna_mount.jpeg

Sponsored

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you don't good mounted antennas, how are you routing the cable into the cabin?

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
You still happy with this mount an antenna? How did you run the coax into the cab?
TIA
Are you asking about the Comet CP-5NMO 3-axis adjustable lip mount ? I f you are, nearly a year with no problems. As for running the coax into the cab, I used the hole with the plastic plug in the left front of the jeep. Of course I did not terminate the cables until they were inside the vehicle.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Heres how I have mine set up, just got a piece of aluminum stock and bent two 90s in it and bolted it under the hood. Works good for me. No swr meter though so im not positive on reading. But i believe its pretty good. Havent been able to test range out with it yet. Will be curious. (The wires off the radio are tucked in, this was pre full installation) lol.

82EDF873-869B-40E7-8B44-5EDED375EFE9.jpeg

51F74358-F5E5-4ED8-B0AA-F371BA41A68E.jpeg

E245877B-C9E0-4374-9ECB-B3F113EE522C.jpeg
Sponsored