Sponsored

Falcon Nexus Steering Stabilizer Relation?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Check in with @TTEChris, he put his stabilizer on top, but he’s got a track bar relocation bracket.
The 1-5/8 clamp works fine for a steering stabilizer. The factory Tie rod measures 40mm, the Fox equates to 41.275mm. It isn't a "perfect" fit, but works plenty fine for a steering stabilizer. The Fox clamp even with the slightly smaller diameter than tie rod still has plenty of space before it is fully compressed.

Ahh, well, hopefully it's close enough to fit snugly.

I see the Synergy part, but can't find it for sale anywhere. Anyways I already got the MetalCloak coming and one thing I like is the MC bracket keeps the same orientation as the OEM tie rod bracket, which while this might not be necessary given how we're remounting it, the 3-way select knob still faces the right way once installed, which I would prefer..
Both Synergy and MC make excellent products. I almost purchased the Fox 1-5/8" clamp and Synergy stud to convert my JL ATS to an over the tie rod setup, but I found someone local willing to purchase my JL ATS and just went with the JK Fox setup.
Sponsored

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
Does anyone know the torque for re-installing the new clamp?

thanks!

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
I'm going with the axel side metalcloak relocation bracket because I've also got their fad armor. Then on the tie rod I went with the teraflex. I really don't think it matters all that much which you choose. They all do the same thing. The only tough part is getting that OEM bracket off the falcon 2.1/2.2. Once that's done it's an easy peasy job.

So when going to the Tie-Rod clamp style mount, shouldn't a pin style mount be used on the other end? So that one end is horizontal mount and the other is vertical?

Artemis

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi 4 door 3.6 Firecracker Red
So when going to the Tie-Rod clamp style mount, shouldn't a pin style mount be used on the other end? So that one end is horizontal mount and the other is vertical?
I'll try to get some pics for you this week so it can be illustrated better.

The axel side mount, whether it be a metal cloak or other brand/style is a vertical bolt (in the case of metal cloak) that mimics the OEM style attachment except in that its moved higher and forward of the original OEM mounting point. The original bolt position is a horizontal and is located directly below the stock tracker location. The new position is forward of the OEM track bar location and above the original position. Whether the axel side attachment is vertical or horizontal, really doesn't matter. The shock shaft can be rotated either way by twisting it with your hand.

On the axel side while using the Falcon SS 2.1/2.2 you remove the OEM Style bracket from the stabilizer shock using heat as illustrated above. Then I used a 1 5/8" Teraflex tiered clamp mount. Half of that bracket bolts directly to the shock, the other half wraps around the bottom of the tie rod and clamps to the half that is bolted on to the ss shock.

The pic I'm attaching is from the metal cloak website. It shows pretty effectively the process and position change from the stock OEM position to the new raised position.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

I know this sounds complex as I am writing it, but believe me, when you have it all in your hands it makes total sense.

7080-Steering-Stabilizer-Relocation.gif

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Artemis sums it up nicely, but the animated MetalCloak gif he intended to show, actually shows I believe the JK not the JL mount, so ignore that part of the animation. On the JK it effectively changes 90', on the JL it will be unchanged. While this isn't important for the shock to function, as Artemis mentioned, it is important for those Falcon fast-adjust owners who want the adjustment knob to be legible and facing the right way once installed.

Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Ahh, well, hopefully it's close enough to fit snugly.

I see the Synergy part, but can't find it for sale anywhere. Anyways I already got the MetalCloak coming and one thing I like is the MC bracket keeps the same orientation as the OEM tie rod bracket, which while this might not be necessary given how we're remounting it, the 3-way select knob still faces the right way once installed, which I would prefer..
The falcon adjustable knob can be rotated.
You just need a Allen wrench. There is a small screw in the end. Just pull it out, then the red knob can come off and be aligned the right way for the orientation of the stabilizer.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The falcon adjustable knob can be rotated.
You just need a Allen wrench. There is a small screw in the end. Just pull it out, then the red knob can come off and be aligned the right way for the orientation of the stabilizer.
great to know!

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
@PIG the Synergy is nice because it is just a single bolt. I got my MetalCloak bracket and I need to drill a second hole. It will be more rigid, but probably not necessary, and a bit more complicated than the Synergy solution. Ah well...

@Huehue80 How tight did you tighten the allen bolt holding the clamp bracket to the Falcon shock. It looks like with the big nylon bushing in there, it can be tightened down but then loses it's flexibility. But I think all it should have to do is rotate, not flex otherwise at all. What do you think? I called TeraFlex just now and they told me their Falcon guys will be back on Monday so he will ask them then for me. Also he said they use Green loctite on that bolt and suggested we use Green over Red. Ugh, I need to buy some Green now. :)

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
@PIG the Synergy is nice because it is just a single bolt. I got my MetalCloak bracket and I need to drill a second hole. It will be more rigid, but probably not necessary, and a bit more complicated than the Synergy solution. Ah well...

@Huehue80 How tight did you tighten the allen bolt holding the clamp bracket to the Falcon shock. It looks like with the big nylon bushing in there, it can be tightened down but then loses it's flexibility. But I think all it should have to do is rotate, not flex otherwise at all. What do you think? I called TeraFlex just now and they told me their Falcon guys will be back on Monday so he will ask them then for me. Also he said they use Green loctite on that bolt and suggested we use Green over Red. Ugh, I need to buy some Green now. :)

When I called falcon/teraflex. The guy just said remove the screw then you can pull the red knob off and align it the right way. He didn't say anything about loctite. I just tightened it tight by hand.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
When I called falcon/teraflex. The guy just said remove the screw then you can pull the red knob off and align it the right way. He didn't say anything about loctite. I just tightened it tight by hand.
No sorry I mean the main allen bolt which you use the torch on to remove the bracket from the shock, then re-use to mount the new clamp to the shock. That bolt....

Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
No sorry I mean the main allen bolt which you use the torch on to remove the bracket from the shock, then re-use to mount the new clamp to the shock. That bolt....
I just left the green loctite that was on it there. Then just tighten, I didn't torque it to any spec. If you find out let me know so I can

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Ok so I got the metalcloak relo bracket in, and the Falcon 2.2 in, finally! The only thing is it looks like it just barely touches the track bar at full passenger turn, and just barely touches the drag link at full driver side turn. I don't know if a washer here or there would help offset it enough. Maybe on the drag link... I have a mechanic friend looking at it a bit later, and will post an update, but at least for now it's driveable and shouldn't get damaged so long as I don't hit bumps while full locked turning...

For those who have done this flip themselves, what was your experience? How close is it on yours??

Update: We did some more re-centering testing and got it to where it does NOT hit the tie rod, and just barely taps the track bar only at full turn lock (me holding the wheel). It's possible a different non-adjustable track bar may have more clearance (mine is adjustable right where it comes close). I may try an RK one at some point if I get the chance to...

Last edited:

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I sent the shock back to teraflex and they retrofitted it. It works solid.

20190404_113219.jpg

20190404_113204.jpg

20190402_175438.jpg
How is your shock's fitment in between the drag link and track bar at the various full turns P and D side? Does it rub against either when you turn the wheel full chock either way? I put some masking tape on mine and am driving around a few days to see if the parts rub. My track bar, much like yours, has the nuts sticking out, and I rotated them to avoid hitting the Falcon shock, but now they look like they might make contact with the factory SS bracket holes on the axle. I have some tape on there too, to see if they collide when I hit a bump, curb, etc..

Depending on the outcome, I might get an RK or MC trackbar which has no bolts sticking out right there, just so I have extra clearance.

Edit: NVM it looks like your trackbar has a relo bracket putting it up and out of the way, and it looks like your drag link must have something similar. I guess that is how Steer Smarts' kit works, huh? Neat!

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I assume so, but is the relocation bracket the item that is circled in the pic? Are you lifted?
Sponsored