Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Youre invested. You will lose your butt selling and going to go buy stock.

Just regear. Its not that big of a deal and super common on jeep. Should be plenty of places locally that can do it, if not the dealership.

You will be much happier you did it and with how your jeep looks. Pretty soon rubicons will be everywhere and yours will look just like everyone elses and you wont be happy about that which is why you spent the $ on wheels/tires to begin with.

Im surprised you got a manual. I dont think it would be bothering you as much with an auto.

Any suggestions as to what gear she should get? She wants to improve off the line acceleration but not kill highway mpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Youre invested. You will lose your butt selling and going to go buy stock.

Just regear. Its not that big of a deal and super common on jeep. Should be plenty of places locally that can do it, if not the dealership.

You will be much happier you did it and with how your jeep looks. Pretty soon rubicons will be everywhere and yours will look just like everyone elses and you wont be happy about that which is why you spent the $ on wheels/tires to begin with.

Im surprised you got a manual. I dont think it would be bothering you as much with an auto.

Any suggestions as to what gear she should get? She wants to improve off the line acceleration but not kill highway mpg
That's what my hubby is thinking. I was advised to go to 4.88, but told 4.56 would be ok too. Not concerned about mileage as much as revving too high on highway. I travel highway a few times a year because my son is 6 hours away at school upstate.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Give a try. Worst case you can always go back. Just more $ :LOL:

Not sure if you can save the stock 4.10s or not or even sell them.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Give a try. Worst case you can always go back. Just more $ :LOL:

Not sure if you can save the stock 4.10s or not or even sell them.
forgive the total noob question, but how is driving on the highway at 70 rpm with 4.88 and 35s? I was told roughly 2800 rpm? I have no reference of what the stock rubicon rpm are at that speed.

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
forgive the total noob question, but how is driving on the highway at 70 rpm with 4.88 and 35s? I was told roughly 2800 rpm? I have no reference of what the stock rubicon rpm are at that speed.
I have 35ā€™s and geared to 4.88. At 80 mph Iā€™m am doing 2600 rpm in 8th gear. I think in retrospect I would go with I 4.56ā€™s. You would have plenty of acceleration and better gas mileage. At any rate you should definitely regear. You are putting undue strain on the tranny and it will heat up too much. Definitely will give you trouble sooner than itā€™s normal expected lifetime.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 35ā€™s and geared to 4.88. At 80 mph Iā€™m am doing 2600 rpm in 8th gear. I think in retrospect I would go with I 4.56ā€™s. You would have plenty of acceleration and better gas mileage. At any rate you should definitely regear. You are putting undue strain on the tranny and it will heat up too much. Definitely will give you trouble sooner than itā€™s normal expected lifetime.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about. Iā€™ve been using my hubbyā€™s car a few days a week to save wear in my tranny. Itā€™s strange because the gear charts that are floating around Iā€™m still in the green so I should technically be ok but it doesnā€™t feel right.
The gear shop that would go the work is 2 hours away. The drive there would heat up and potential damage my tranny

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about. Iā€™ve been using my hubbyā€™s car a few days a week to save wear in my tranny. Itā€™s strange because the gear charts that are floating around Iā€™m still in the green so I should technically be ok but it doesnā€™t feel right.
The gear shop that would go the work is 2 hours away. The drive there would heat up and potential damage my tranny
Just my 2 cents but I wouldnā€™t worry too much about extra wear on the driveline. When I crunched the numbers for a regear, a stock sport on 32ā€ tires is comparable to driving with 35ā€ tires on 3.73s. Not ideal if you want performance and crawl ratio on the trail, but on the street you shouldnā€™t be causing any wear and tear that a stock sport wouldnā€™t see.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldnā€™t tolerate 35ā€™s on 4:10ā€™s (auto). It didnā€™t feel sluggish to me, it was the fact that the trans rarely used 8th on the highway, sometimes not 7th. Thatā€™s not the way itā€™s supposed to work. To each their own.

OP, if you like the bigger wheels and tires, keep them. Re-gear and donā€™t look back.
So you went back to stock?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
So you went back to stock?
No, went to 285/75r17ā€™s. Just a wee bit bigger than stock. Might lift it and do 35ā€™s next year. When I do I will re gear it.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to everyone who responded. I have come to a decision that I am going back to stock for now and keeping my big tires and rims. Being that I only had my jeep 4 months before i upgraded the tires, i didn't get to drive it long and go on the beach. And i'm a bit afraid of screwing up my brand new jeep with a regear. I think I'm going to give it a while and see how it goes over the summer. If i still feel that I want to go bigger than I will. The regear shop is 4 weeks to get me in the schedule anyway, and i can plan ahead for the fall, which works better for me.
If I don't care about the big tires after a while I'll sell them. I probably should have waited a while from the get go. Noob mistakes. I'm sure many have been there.

Sponsored

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
I'm at this decision point too. Running 35's on my JL Rubicon 3.6L with standard trans, 99.5% mall-crawler.

5th and 6th gears are pretty useless - especially 6th unless you're on a flat road with a tailwind ;)

I'm being quoted $1900 by an excellent shop I use always - have to get from him whether he intends 4.56 or 4.88 for me - probably 4.88.

When I'm cruising around in town in 4th gear at about 40, I have no acceleration really unless I downshift to 3rd. That's seems no bueno.

My complaint is I seem to have to downshift from wherever I'm at 1 or 2 gears to get some kick-ass going.

The regear gonna fix that?

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm at this decision point too. Running 35's on my JL Rubicon 3.6L with standard trans, 99.5% mall-crawler.

5th and 6th gears are pretty useless - especially 6th unless you're on a flat road with a tailwind ;)

I'm being quoted $1900 by an excellent shop I use always - have to get from him whether he intends 4.56 or 4.88 for me - probably 4.88.

When I'm cruising around in town in 4th gear at about 40, I have no acceleration really unless I downshift to 3rd. That's seems no bueno.

My complaint is I seem to have to downshift from wherever I'm at 1 or 2 gears to get some kick-ass going.

The regear gonna fix that?
Regear will help that.
Same here. Was quoted about that price for regear. Shop recommended 4.88 for me too, but from reading posts it seems that will rev high on highway. I donā€™t want to mess anything up by choosing the wrong gear. Shop says I wonā€™t be happy with 4.56 others say itā€™s the ideal gear ratio for 35s.
So decided to go stock and wait a while and see what I want to do.
I have the funds to regear itā€™s just that is it necessary for me to go that route?
Iā€™m not a youngster so is having ā€œ the lookā€ real important?

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I trust my shop implicitly - the head guy wins the Baja 1000 over and over and over. His guys say "no you don't want to do that" all the time, so I know they aren't about selling stuff and making money - they are genuinely into the sport. Been using them for 15 years. OC Motorsports in Costa Mesa, CA.

Also has the benefit of being owned by and adjacent to a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealer, so no warranty hassles ever!

I'll let you know what gears they tell me to go with.

Last edited:

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well my trusted shop just talked me out of regearing. If we did it we would only go to 4.56, and the small change isn't worth the money. Yes they will do the job but they are waving me off -- a big reason I love my guys.

He explained to me that both 5th and 6th are "overdrive" gears, so they aren't intended to have much power, and that it's normal for me to feel like those gears are pretty dead as to power.

I might go $700 for a small change, but not $1900 so I'm done (for now at least)..

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well my trusted shop just talked me out of regearing. If we did it we would only go to 4.56, and the small change isn't worth the money. Yes they will do the job but they are waving me off -- a big reason I love my guys.

He explained to me that both 5th and 6th are "overdrive" gears, so they aren't intended to have much power, and that it's normal for me to feel like those gears are pretty dead as to power.

I might go $700 for a small change, but not $1900 so I'm done (for now at least)..
So they said you can drive with 35s and 4.10s with no eventual tranny wear?
What small change is fine for $700?
My shop said they didnā€™t think it was worth the money to go to 4.56. They said 4.88.
But I think thatā€™s too much.
Sponsored