Sponsored

Like or hate ESS on 3.6 vs 2.0

Do you like or hate the ESS with the engine you chose?

• Total voters

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I'm willing to bet that everyone who hates it is a grumpy ass old man.
Old but not grumpy and dislike the ESS. Should never be put on trucks and off road style vehicles. Just my take, but the way around it with an 8 speed is go to manual mode.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I'm willing to bet that everyone who hates it is a grumpy ass old man.
I'm 40, so I guess I'm old. I AM pretty grumpy. :) I don't mind the idea, but w/ the 3.6L the start is a fairly violent event. When I've had it in other vehicles the idle and start is so smooth that you really don't notice. You'd have to be dead not to notice the 3.6 starting up

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I have been trying to get a read on if there is a difference between the 3.6 and the 2.0T regarding the ESS system. My suspicion is that the 2.0T system works better than on the 3.6. Folks seem diametrically opposed in their thoughts on ESS and I wonder if that's due to different experiences in the different engines.

(Yes, I know there are other polls and threads on the ESS in general, but haven't found anything that breaks it down by engine type.)
My own Jeep has the 3.6 liter and I do like using the ESS at stoplights. I've learned how to avoid triggering an autostop at stopsigns and other quick stops. I've driven a 2.0 Rubicon and a 5.7 Ram Rebel with the ETorque and I can say that the restarts are much smoother than the 12V ESS. That being said, I don't regret getting the V6, but if it comes down to it and I need a new Jeep I'll be looking at the 2.0 with renewed interest.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
ESS is a great system. You can turn it off for the trails and leave it on the rest of the time. There is really no reason NOT to like it.
If the selection were persistent I would agree. Options are good - being surprised isn't.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If the selection were persistent I would agree. Options are good - being surprised isn't.
But is it still a surprise after the first few times driving it?

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
The poll needs to differentiate between manual and automatic transmission owners. There seems to be a big difference in tolerance for ESS when transmission is taken into account.

Pro-ESS all the way. Seems like a great way to make the Wrangler make sense for a daily driver without sacrificing what makes it fun. And all free money is good money!
^^This guy gets it.^^

Engine not running = no gas used. No gas used = FREE MONEY. I'll take that sweet free money any day.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
But is it still a surprise after the first few times driving it?
Not like "I'm gonna have a heart attack" no. But it's annoying. See my earlier post - the start up on the 3.6 is not exactly gentle.

johnb20

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler rubicon jl
Vehicle Showcase
that shit sucks!! its loud and annoying and i live in phoenix my ac should never stop running!!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not like "I'm gonna have a heart attack" no. But it's annoying. See my earlier post - the start up on the 3.6 is not exactly gentle.
well yes, I have a 3.6 myself so I'm pretty aware of how it feels. I've found turning off the hill start assist makes it a little less jerky. Still not as smooth as the Etorques though.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
that shit sucks!! its loud and annoying and i live in phoenix my ac should never stop running!!
The beauty of this is that ESS will not autostop if your AC is in heavy use.
Sponsored