What make a Rubicon a Rubicon?

Georgew48

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I didn’t want the red dash because I have the firecracker red exterior including the fender flares and hardtop thought the red dash would be too much. I also got the tan leather because I think it looks better with the red exterior. My only compliant is I got the dual top and wish the soft top was tan instead of black.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I didn’t want the red dash because I have the firecracker red exterior including the fender flares and hardtop thought the red dash would be too much. I also got the tan leather because I think it looks better with the red exterior. My only compliant is I got the dual top and wish the soft top was tan instead of black.
Just playing with ya! I wasn’t sure I’d like the red dash in mine, but I do. Goes great with sting gray!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Beyond the obvious superficial items; gearing, different t-case, axles(wide), lockers, sway-bar disconnect
This is the real answer. If you take a rubicon and strip away the cosmetic details, it lost nothing functional and is no closer to a Sahara or sport than it was before. Take away the lockers, the gearing, the transfer case, you have a Sahara.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The big ticket items are the Dana 44 front and rear axles with selectable lockers and the NV241OR transfer case with the 4:1 low range gear.

Your Sport has the smaller Dana 30 front axle and either a D35 or D44 rear axle (neither has selectable lockers) and the NV241 transfer case only has a 2.72:1 low range.

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

It's just a package of component that make a trim level, but don't forget the VIN! The 7th digit of the VIN will indicate the trim level... So changing parts to match with make it look and/perform like the other, but cannot be mistaken for.

:jk:
A = 2-door Sport
B = 2-door ??
C = 2-door Rubicon
D = 4-door Sport
E = 4-door Sahara
F = 4-door Rubicon
Great info - thanks

Now, how do I cahnge the 7th digit of my VIN?

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I wish there were more granular options between the Sahara and Rubicon. Moab is kind of that, but I drive 6MT so it's off the table.

I really like the Rubicon wheels/tires/hood/seats/accents, but I'll never crawl on boulders so I would much prefer the LSD that's useful in many on-road conditions as well as off-road to selectable lockers that I would probably never use.

Most of the JK 'special editions' were available with a 6MT, correct? Maybe I should just wait for the next Mountain edition or whatever, and hope they offer it with a 6MT. Or buy a Sahara and immediately spend the cost difference w/ a Rubicon swapping out the wheels/tires/trim/etc.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I wish there were more granular options between the Sahara and Rubicon. Moab is kind of that, but I drive 6MT so it's off the table.

I really like the Rubicon wheels/tires/hood/seats/accents, but I'll never crawl on boulders so I would much prefer the LSD that's useful in many on-road conditions as well as off-road to selectable lockers that I would probably never use.

Most of the JK 'special editions' were available with a 6MT, correct? Maybe I should just wait for the next Mountain edition or whatever, and hope they offer it with a 6MT. Or buy a Sahara and immediately spend the cost difference w/ a Rubicon swapping out the wheels/tires/trim/etc.
Edit: brakes are the same on Rubicon and Sahara

If you don't care about the lockers, 4:1 transfer case, gearing, and axlesthan you don't really need a Rubicon. You can buy a Sahara and build your own special edition aftermarket and make it more personal.

If you care about those things, than the Rubicon is a great value.

Last edited:

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
If you don't care about the lockers, 4:1 transfer case, gearing, axles, and brakes than you don't really need a Rubicon. You can buy a Sahara and build your own special edition aftermarket and make it more personal.
I believe the Rubicon and Sahara have the same brakes?

The gearing is a concern, since I think even the 4.10 with the 6MT on the Rubicon is geared a bit tall. Haven't driven a 3.45+6MT JL, but I can't imagine being in 6th unless going downhill.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I believe the Rubicon and Sahara have the same brakes?

The gearing is a concern, since I think even the 4.10 with the 6MT on the Rubicon is geared a bit tall. Haven't driven a 3.45+6MT JL, but I can't imagine being in 6th unless going downhill.
I consider 6th "The Other Neutral" in my Sport S.

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
The real question is why is there a thread like this???

Go Jeep!!!

Georgew48

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Just playing with ya! I wasn’t sure I’d like the red dash in mine, but I do. Goes great with sting gray!
Yea, I really like it with the grey and granite. That was my second choice but the wife loves red.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
44's, lockers and sway bar disconnect. :like:

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation