Sponsored

Rubicon as a Highway Driver...What? all Good to report...

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you have 35s on your Rubi, how did that affect drivability and MPG? Just curious! Which tire did you pick?
Actually 37s. No lift yet. I currently have cooper st maxx as I picked them up used for a great price to see how I would like 37s. Ultimately I will probably switch to the stt pros as they looked great on the stock rims but took on more of the mall crawler AT tire look when I put on the new wheels. For mpg, I was getting about 16.to 17 in mixed, but city skewed driving. I now get 15 to 16 and both are using real math (actual miles//actual gallons). I would say 1.5mpg difference give or take. The 8spd tranny eats them up no problem and honestly I canā€™t really tell a difference in acceleration. Speedo went off by exactly 10pct with the bigger tires. It is definitely more ā€˜funā€™ to drive at hiway speeds on windy days but generally not much different from the stock 33s. It actuLly handles better now with wider stance (wheels) and tires. We have a roundabout on the way home and I like to see how far I can push it and even at 40mph I feel very much inside the limits of capability.
Sponsored

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
What wheels you got there? They look great!
Thx! Went with the method standards ... will probably add the rock rings from Motobilt and do them in a maroon color for some added protection/visual pop.

mer43

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 ZJ 5.9, '18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLUR on 2.5" lift, 37s. The ride is firm but forgiving. I love my RK suspension for comfort on road. I do find it cramped on long trips. My right leg is generally bruised around the knee area, if I don't put some padding down there on 6 hour trips. The seats are overly tight for my fat-arse, and long torso. I find blood flow is getting cut off behind the knees, and have had other JL owners tell me the same. The modern features in my fully loaded rubi are excellent. The jeep takes constant inputs, as does every jeep I've ever owned or driven. I was nearly blown off the road coming east down the big hill out of San Diego county just a week ago. It was really gusting, and was really starting to be a major concern. Kept slowing down to compensate for it. REALLY don't want to deal with that again if possible. The windshield takes a chip or two from every long trip. Mileage is only 15mpg highway only. It really, really, really needs regearing to get that 8th gear back, if you do long trips. The aftermarket lighting and stock LED's were really a bonus with fog and dark areas. I have to be careful what I pack, or I end up with a stuffed jeep. It's a true mid-size SUV and I have to be conscience of that when packing. Still Quite an improvement over just a few years ago. I only choose the Jeep for long trips, if the destination INCLUDES the Jeep. Otherwise...

I also own a 2007 Tundra Limited with the big 5.7 and 180,000 miles. The engine is quiet and strong. You can't tell it's running at red lights it's so smooth. Under power, it just begs for more pedal. Mileage is only 18 max on long trips. It's ride is good on the highway with little input, other than speed control. Barely have to correct steering. It has most modern features such as climate control, onboard nav, power leather everything, and decent lighting. The seats are plush, and comfortable. It's massive 1/2ton pickup size make cargo carrying and other items a no brainer. Any long type of trip, and I'd prefer the Tundra. Heck wouldn't mind finding a trailer to haul the jeep. Big tires aren't cheap, and hate wearing them off on highway.
Sponsored