First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
So Ill admit I never test drove the jeep I ordered. Ive been in a jeep, never drove one. I never test drove my 1st car (2005 Tacoma) or my 2nd car (2005 IS300). But I liked them both!

Anyway, Ive gotten used to the stiff, racing like suspension and steering of my IS300 and I kind of like it. I felt like my Tacomas suspension was good and I didnt feel a lot of road unless I hit a hole somewhere.

Anyone recommend a suspension upgrade to make the 2019 4Door Rubicon smooth? I plan to take this vehicle out to the trails. Maybe 10-20% of the time but it will be my daily driver to and from work in the city 80-90% of the time.

I dont plan on any upgrades...yet...but I just want to get a good, comfortable ride each day. Is this possible with the jeep?

Haters...go on and hate, its ok, I'm not sensitive. Helpful people, thank you in advance!
Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So Ill admit I never test drove the jeep I ordered. Ive been in a jeep, never drove one. I never test drove my 1st car (2005 Tacoma) or my 2nd car (2005 IS300). But I liked them both!

Anyway, Ive gotten used to the stiff, racing like suspension and steering of my IS300 and I kind of like it. I felt like my Tacomas suspension was good and I didnt feel a lot of road unless I hit a hole somewhere.

Anyone recommend a suspension upgrade to make the 2019 4Door Rubicon smooth? I plan to take this vehicle out to the trails. Maybe 10-20% of the time but it will be my daily driver to and from work in the city 80-90% of the time.

I dont plan on any upgrades...yet...but I just want to get a good, comfortable ride each day. Is this possible with the jeep?

Haters...go on and hate, its ok, I'm not sensitive. Helpful people, thank you in advance!
Lower the air pressure in your tires. Right now your tires are like stiff shocks, but if you lower the pressure they become soft shocks. Off the lot it was probably at 40 PSI or close. I rode my KO2's at 34 psi and it was really comfortable, much better than 40 psi.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Lower the air pressure in your tires. Right now your tires are like stiff shocks, but if you lower the pressure they become soft shocks. Off the lot it was probably at 40 PSI or close. I rode my KO2's at 34 psi and it was really comfortable, much better than 40 psi.
I dont have it yet, its in KZ status, but taking tips/tricks now and will apply when received!

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I dont have it yet, its in KZ status, but taking tips/tricks now and will apply when received!
You will likely be surprised how smooth it is for a Jeep. Those who have owned Jeeps in the past tend to feel the JL is a cadilac and first time owners feel like the Jeep is a bit bumpy. With a little lower PSI and a few weeks to get use to it you will love it. I am a weekend warrior for sure and drive the JLUR every where for work and love it on the road.

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 JLUR on 35s drives like a champ

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Wait till you get it. @OUTDOORTREE is correct. I think the JL is extremely smooth after owning a TJ and JK.
My IS is OLD. Maybe itll feel like a huge improvement now that ill finally be in 2019 lol

My mom bought a 2018 Equinox and every time she makes me drive it I think "man, this thing is soo much smoother than my Lexus!" haha

I guess I'm just curious what others are doing for their suspension on their jeeps. Its a new "realm" I'm entering and eager to learn about!

Thats for all the replies so far!

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Unfortunately, unless you'll be driving on perfectly smooth asphalt roads, the Wrangler's firm ride will be disconcerting to some first time owners. Although the JL is an improvement over past models, it's still designed to traverse extreme terrain and little can be done to make it into a smooth and quiet cruiser, especially if you opted for a Rubicon. The extended wheelbase of the 4-door Unlimited is markedly better than the 2-door version.

Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Think some aftermarket company can make a way better suspension for a stock jeep than the 100 Chrysler engineers (With years of testing) were able to achieve?

If you want a Lexus, buy a Lexus.
100% absolutely yes.

Jeep engineers are constrained by cost. If you want to dump a ton of money into your suspension, there will be better options.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My IS is OLD. Maybe itll feel like a huge improvement now that ill finally be in 2019 lol

My mom bought a 2018 Equinox and every time she makes me drive it I think "man, this thing is soo much smoother than my Lexus!" haha

I guess I'm just curious what others are doing for their suspension on their jeeps. Its a new "realm" I'm entering and eager to learn about!

Thats for all the replies so far!
Just drive and smile for the first 10k and then see what you think. I did the mopar lift about 4k because I wanted the clearance. The fox suspension doesn't feel different on road to me. I like both.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I use my Rubicon as a daily driver. I have two other vehicles which are much more refined but I still like to drive the Rubicon. It will never feel as tight as your IS. (I always thought the Tacoma had real slow steering, love the truck, not the steering). But it is not a sports SUV, doesn't try to be. I don't think you will be disappointed unless you really expect it to be more than it is. BTW, in high winds, it is a handful.

I have wondered though (not being all that mechanical inclined) if what I always heard in my musle cars days, if changing the ball joints and rubber bushings, etc to polyurethane would eliminate any concerns with future wear and the "wobble"

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon's stock shocks are very soft (I would assume Sahara and Sport maybe even softer but I never drove one). It is to the point of too soft and body roll side to side when you take a corner.

I actually swap the factory shocks with Falcon which are known to be very stiff. I like the stiff handling much better, although now you can clearly feel every road bump but my Jeep is planted on the ground. With factory shocks, I felt it is floating.

My next step to mod suspension is to swap factory spring to Eibach progressive springs.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Other vehicle is a GS350 F Sport so I know what you mean. The steering in that car is great, especially in Sport S+ mode when it tightens up the ratio. The Wrangler is the opposite even though my 19 isn’t defective like a number of the 2018s are.

One thing that helped the feel a little is a stiffer steering stabilizer to make it slightly tighter. Not much, but it’s an improvement. I got the Fox one. I have the Dynatrac Endurosport 2” lift and the springs and shocks in that kit improve the handling and ride quality considerably. It was designed by an engineer from the JL development team who said it’s what they’d love to have done if they didn’t have to compromise to meet price points.

If you’re not looking to lift you might search for stock height aftermarket shocks and maybe springs. I don’t know what’s available but you’ve got time to search before it gets here. Good luck.
Sponsored