Sponsored

Whats the best suspension for city driving?

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 firecracker red Sahara (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubicon (ordered)
Yeah, i see. To me the ride quality is very important so i decided to sell my setup which is almost brand new. Only few weeks old. Planning on same setup but 17 inch and c rated. Im going to loose plenty of money on it unfortunately.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I talked to @TTEChris of Tankcustoms about this as I wanted to run my stock 18” Sahara wheels with bigger tires (KO2’s) with the RC 2.5” lift and he told me that staying with the 18’s that the rating on the tire would be D or E and the ride would be stiff so I dropped down to 17” wheels and a C rated KO2 at his recommendation, I’m supposed to pick it up today and will let you know how the ride compares to stock
Thanks, let me know.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Why not just put it back to stock configuration? You liked the ride quality in stock form and from what you stated it does not sound like you are going to need or really take advantage of larger tires with a lift.

If you are doing this all for a certain look that is fine. This just seems like a lot of money to spend for a look with no actual benefit to your driving. I myself love the look but also know how capable any Jeep trim level is in stock form. This is why I did not modify my JK and have not even thought of modifying my JL which has already been through some decent trails in stock form without issue.

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not just put it back to stock configuration? You liked the ride quality in stock form and from what you stated it does not sound like you are going to need or really take advantage of larger tires with a lift.

If you are doing this all for a certain look that is fine. This just seems like a lot of money to spend for a look with no actual benefit to your driving. I myself love the look but also know how capable any Jeep trim level is in stock form. This is why I did not modify my JK and have not even thought of modifying my JL which has already been through some decent trails in stock form without issue.
I love the look and is my daily driver. I also want the capability. I like to drive with some height to it. I know is not used for offroading like that but i want the best of both worlds. Thats why im going with c rated tires after i sell mines.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't have it on for long, but I felt like I had great ride quality with the 2.5" RC spacer lift and falcon shocks. I feel like it was better than my rock krawler setup I have now, however this one is better off road and I'm glad to make that sacrifice. I was also on a D load range tire, I'm sure a C would make it even better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't have it on for long, but I felt like I had great ride quality with the 2.5" RC spacer lift and falcon shocks. I feel like it was better than my rock krawler setup I have now, however this one is better off road and I'm glad to make that sacrifice. I was also on a D load range tire, I'm sure a C would make it even better.
Did you have the 2.1 monotube falcon shocks?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
With a small spacer lift like yours, you will not normally be able to detect a difference in ride vs stock, as nothing has actually changed. Your issue was definitely the E rated tires. Unfortunate mistake, but not irreparable. You should be able to recoup a lot of the lost $ in selling them and buying 17" wheels and 315/70R17 KO2's, in a C RATING. The KO2 comes in an E rating for the same size so be careful. Dealers and tire shops are sneaky.

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With a small spacer lift like yours, you will not normally be able to detect a difference in ride vs stock, as nothing has actually changed. Your issue was definitely the E rated tires. Unfortunate mistake, but not irreparable. You should be able to recoup a lot of the lost $ in selling them and buying 17" wheels and 315/70R17 KO2's, in a C RATING. The KO2 comes in an E rating for the same size so be careful. Dealers and tire shops are sneaky.
Already ordered that setup.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Already ordered that setup.
Nice. When do you think you'll have it installed? I'd like to hear your thoughts with those tires vs stock.

Also, did you get the optional selec-trac transfer case with 4H auto on your sahara?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice. When do you think you'll have it installed? I'd like to hear your thoughts with those tires vs stock.

Also, did you get the optional selec-trac transfer case with 4H auto on your sahara?
Installing by end of week and no select track unfortunately. Will keep you posted.

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, changed my setup to 315/70/17 ko2 with warlords from 35x12.5r18 and armory wheels. Essentially did the switch just because of the change of load range, i went from E to C. The ride quality is so much better, i feel the truck way lighter, better handling and softer suspension. Im equipped with RC 2.5 inch budget lift. The only downfall is that lost half inch in wheel size comparing 35 versus 34.4 and 12.5 vs 12.4 wide and it makes it look a tad less aggresive but well worth the change. Here are the picture of the before and after.
20180726_084128.jpg
View attachment 83652

20180830_051412.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Personally I like the set of wheels you have now better. Glad it all worked out and your happy with the ride now.

Silver TT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Cayenne GTS, 23 Raptor 37, 23 M4 Cab, 23 Denali
I talked to @TTEChris of Tankcustoms about this as I wanted to run my stock 18” Sahara wheels with bigger tires (KO2’s) with the RC 2.5” lift and he told me that staying with the 18’s that the rating on the tire would be D or E and the ride would be stiff so I dropped down to 17” wheels and a C rated KO2 at his recommendation, I’m supposed to pick it up today and will let you know how the ride compares to stock
I have same exact issue with E rated tires. I see a lot of guys saying the Nitto Ridge Grappler is a great tire but also only E rated from what I have seen. I wonder how much of the harshness is due to the 18” wheel vs the 17” and how much is due to the E vs C rating. Given the stock Sahara rides great on OEM 18s it must be 90% due to the load rating of the tire.

OP
OP
RedJlu

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have same exact issue with E rated tires. I see a lot of guys saying the Nitto Ridge Grappler is a great tire but also only E rated from what I have seen. I wonder how much of the harshness is due to the 18” wheel vs the 17” and how much is due to the E vs C rating. Given the stock Sahara rides great on OEM 18s it must be 90% due to the load rating of the tire.
Its night and day. E rated tires are heavier and very stiff especially going through pot holes. I have 35 c rated ko2 and rides just like stock. Its definately the load rating that determines the ride quality. I have my c rated at 32 psi and is awesome. E rated looks more aggresive and they are true 35 inches. I sold my old e rated tire setup and bought c rated. Lost money and looks a little less aggresive but worth it.
Sponsored