Sponsored

Be Cautious with ESS

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I like ESS if it saves me 1 gallon of fuel a year a gallon saved, if it helps save the Earth by 1 day I'm happy. Just maybe my grandkids kids will have a planet to live on.
Don't LIE about it not being a Global Warming issue. Follow a fool be a fool.

It's just a darn button if you don't like it sell the vehicle and buy a techless 1979 vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
I like ESS if it saves me 1 gallon of fuel a year a gallon saved, if it helps save the Earth by 1 day I'm happy. Just maybe my grandkids kids will have a planet to live on.
Don't LIE about it not being a Global Warming issue. Follow a fool be a fool.

It's just a darn button if you don't like it sell the vehicle and buy a techless 1979 vehicle.
Not a thread arguing global warming. Just a safety concern for those of us who do use this feature. Thanks for visiting.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Not a thread arguing global warming. Just a safety concern for those of us who do use this feature. Thanks for visiting.
I fully understand and still I like ESS.
ESS has been around for years I have it on my BMW and Range Rover never a safety issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know! Funny thing is I actually like it. I got used to it for 8k miles. I thought I had it all figured out but I was mistaken.

Reactions: JC7

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I don’t mind it that much, but it’s annoying in slight traffic. I’ll probably disable it with Tazer.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I know! Funny thing is I actually like it. I got used to it for 8k miles. I thought I had it all figured out but I was mistaken.
Don't you think it was just a case of you stopping with low brake pedal pressure, too low to activate ESS. Then in the process of moving your foot to the accelerator, you inadvertently put enough additional pressure on the brake pedal to cause ESS to activate?

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven’t decided if I’m going to get a Tazer yet. I probably will. I’m having my rig serviced next week. If they find a defect and fix it I’ll keep using ESS. if they say everything checks out fine then I’ll likely get a Tazer. We’ll see what they find.

Reactions: JC7
OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't you think it was just a case of you stopping with low brake pedal pressure, too low to activate ESS. Then in the process of moving your foot to the accelerator, you inadvertently put enough additional pressure on the brake pedal to cause ESS to activate?
Anything is possible. The issue is my foot was on the accelerator and the engine didn’t start back up. It should have. I had to press the brake again and release it for the engine to engage.

Sponsored

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
New Mexico, Not really new - not really Mexico...
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Your assumption is that my ESS has malfunctioned. If your assumption is correct then yes, nobody needs to be cautious. I have a different point of view. I’ve work in automated electronics for over 20 years. I know that when systems experience faults like this the main culperate is usually programming logic. If you think the programming on a first year technology is perfect out of the gate and there is no reason to worry, then do so.

Forums aren’t just a place to brag and compliment each other’s mods. It’s also an information sharing system. I’ve learned a lot of info in here I would never have known about.
So the point of your original post was so people could see how the system must have faulty programming logic and everybody should exercise caution if using the system based on your single experience. Because the way you see it the most likely explanation is that ESS on all Wranglers have this programming bug. Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.

I also think the forums are a good place to share information. It is how I know what to expect out of my LED headlights in the snow, or if a rattle develops in the back of my Jeep, or what to expect when I wave at the owner of a JL. And I will continue to follow this thread so if others chime in with a similar experience I will no there is a bug in the system.

But have you noticed that nobody has done so? You have quite a few people sharing suggestions on how to work around the system. But not a single person with a similar experience. And you actually did a search beforehand and didn't see that anybody in the past year posted a similar experience that you could find.

This doesn't mean it doesn't exist and this isn't a widespread issue. But I do believe if other people have removed their foot from the brake pedal, while the car was running, and upon applying pressure to the accelerator had the engine die, to only start again when removing said foot from the accelerator and once again applying full pressure to the brake pedal, we might hear about it.

Now you may be saying to yourself, "Damn, this guy's pretty worked up!". Not really. Just being a keyboard warrior typing a reply to a thread that was posted by another person who only wanted to enlighten the community about an obvious flaw in the new JL Wrangler. :) The Smiley makes everything better, by the way.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Anything is possible. The issue is my foot was on the accelerator and the engine didn’t start back up. It should have. I had to press the brake again and release it for the engine to engage.
I agree it should have re started. The fact that the jeep moved slightly tells me the ESS system is a little slow (slower than the throttle) at shutting down. It must not check the pedals until after shutdown, and it must be looking for a change in position, releasing brake or pressing accelerator. It wasn't until after you released the throttle and pressed and released the brake that you met a restart condition after it had stopped.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the point of your original post was so people could see how the system must have faulty programming logic and everybody should exercise caution if using the system based on your single experience. Because the way you see it the most likely explanation is that ESS on all Wranglers have this programming bug. Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.

I also think the forums are a good place to share information. It is how I know what to expect out of my LED headlights in the snow, or if a rattle develops in the back of my Jeep, or what to expect when I wave at the owner of a JL. And I will continue to follow this thread so if others chime in with a similar experience I will no there is a bug in the system.

But have you noticed that nobody has done so? You have quite a few people sharing suggestions on how to work around the system. But not a single person with a similar experience. And you actually did a search beforehand and didn't see that anybody in the past year posted a similar experience that you could find.

This doesn't mean it doesn't exist and this isn't a widespread issue. But I do believe if other people have removed their foot from the brake pedal, while the car was running, and upon applying pressure to the accelerator had the engine die, to only start again when removing said foot from the accelerator and once again applying full pressure to the brake pedal, we might hear about it.

Now you may be saying to yourself, "Damn, this guy's pretty worked up!". Not really. Just being a keyboard warrior typing a reply to a thread that was posted by another person who only wanted to enlighten the community about an obvious flaw in the new JL Wrangler. :) The Smiley makes everything better, by the way.
I’m not worked up. I would really hope nobody else is either. I didn’t start this as a PSA. I’m not saying avoid ESS at all costs. I’m saying that in my own rig this was a very uncommon occurrence but it did make me feel very concerned when my foot is on the gas and I’m slowly creeping into the oncoming lane while the engine is off.

I’m sure if this is a bug it is hard to reproduce. It took 7 months for it to happen to me and I used ESS for every mile I drove. If it happens again in the future and that person reports it at least they won’t have to be the first one taking crap for only trying to tell his brothers to be cautious.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The only time I have had an issue with my ESS was during a deer crossing episode. In quick succession, I hit brake/gas/brake, the engine seemed to sputter, then the ESS disabled itself. Now, I chalk this up to user error, because this was during an exceptional incident of said deer exercising his right to cross my path.

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
My jeep stumbled a coupe times and the delay do to time for the engine to start and get moving especially in the winter scared me. Another for the Tazer. I was able to update my tire size and I can even open my door while I back up now.
Sponsored