Sponsored

Mopar Flat Tow Harness arrived

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
I ordered Mopar Part #82215382 09/02/18. I was told it hadn't been made yet and that I should expect it in December. It arrived the day before Christmas, I installed it yesterday. I almost gave up and bought a CoolTech. I didn't like the idea of having to cut wires and installing a switch ie, you would have to switch it to tow mode or drive mode and I don't believe it has a license plate light (I might be wrong on that one). The Mopar one was a bit of a hassle to install (very similar to trailer towing harness) but pretty much plug and play. The second you plug in the harness to the tow vehicle the lighting is switched to tow mode and vice versa. Super easy and keeps everything under warranty.

IMG_2309.JPG
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for pointing out there's a Mopar solution. A couple questions:
Did it come with installation instructions, including wire routing instructions?
What are you doing about tow brakes?

OP
OP
Broccoli2

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for pointing out there's a Mopar solution. A couple questions:
Did it come with installation instructions, including wire routing instructions?
What are you doing about tow brakes?
Yes it came with instructions, If you have ever seen IKEA instructions they are similar, haha. The biggest issue is getting the harness through the fire wall on the passenger side. The instructions say to remove the inner fender well lining. I found that I could reach up behind the liner from underneath. The other pain was removing the rear bumper to get to the license plate light. Beyond that, you just have to remove all the plastic on the passenger side from the front to the back. If your Zip code is correct I live near you and would be more than welcome to help out if needed.
As far as the brake I use the RVI Brake system. https://rvibrake.com/collections/fl...-auxiliary-braking-system?variant=20046642181 I also bought but have not yet installed the battery charger from the RVi site. The brake needs 12volt power and it has a short umbilical. The 12 volt on the dash is not powered unless the jeep is "on" but the plug in the back drivers side is always powered so I have an extension from the back to the front. I know there is a mod to make the front always powered, I saw it on this forum some where. I haven't decided whether I want to do that yet.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yes it came with instructions, If you have ever seen IKEA instructions they are similar, haha. The biggest issue is getting the harness through the fire wall on the passenger side. The instructions say to remove the inner fender well lining. I found that I could reach up behind the liner from underneath. The other pain was removing the rear bumper to get to the license plate light. Beyond that, you just have to remove all the plastic on the passenger side from the front to the back. If your Zip code is correct I live near you and would be more than welcome to help out if needed.
As far as the brake I use the RVI Brake system. https://rvibrake.com/collections/fl...-auxiliary-braking-system?variant=20046642181 I also bought but have not yet installed the battery charger from the RVi site. The brake needs 12volt power and it has a short umbilical. The 12 volt on the dash is not powered unless the jeep is "on" but the plug in the back drivers side is always powered so I have an extension from the back to the front. I know there is a mod to make the front always powered, I saw it on this forum some where. I haven't decided whether I want to do that yet.
I had an RVI3 brake system and charger on my CRV. It was very good. If you have the charge line running, can’t you just set the Jeep to accessory so the 12V plug is powered?

OP
OP
Broccoli2

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an RVI3 brake system and charger on my CRV. It was very good. If you have the charge line running, can’t you just set the Jeep to accessory so the 12V plug is powered?
Not sure it would stay on unless you left the key inside and still not sure. But why not just run the extension to the back or do the mod to keep the front one on? I like to keep the doors locked and the key with me.

Sponsored

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Thank you....This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for!

Doc

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
How is the price of the Mopar Harness compared to the others out there?

Never mind.....found it for $368 on one site.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks again. Yes, I'm in Torrance. I have a brother up by you. He has a CJ with a smallblock Chevy. I'm still figuring out what bumper/winch/towbar setup I want.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@Broccoli2, I believe @CoolTech has a jumper you can install to make the 12volt on the dash constant on.

Sponsored

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
Your 4 auxiliary switches.
2 40 amp
2 10 or 15 amp I forget.

Can be programmed from momentary or latching and be on with "key" or battery. Wiring is terminated under the hood and under dash passenger side. You could put a female 12vdc outlet under the dash for the brake system right?

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
I ordered Mopar Part #82215382 09/02/18. I was told it hadn't been made yet and that I should expect it in December. It arrived the day before Christmas, I installed it yesterday. I almost gave up and bought a CoolTech. I didn't like the idea of having to cut wires and installing a switch ie, you would have to switch it to tow mode or drive mode and I don't believe it has a license plate light (I might be wrong on that one). The Mopar one was a bit of a hassle to install (very similar to trailer towing harness) but pretty much plug and play. The second you plug in the harness to the tow vehicle the lighting is switched to tow mode and vice versa. Super easy and keeps everything under warranty.

IMG_2309.JPG
Pricey little devil.

OP
OP
Broccoli2

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your 4 auxiliary switches.
2 40 amp
2 10 or 15 amp I forget.

Can be programmed from momentary or latching and be on with "key" or battery. Wiring is terminated under the hood and under dash passenger side. You could put a female 12vdc outlet under the dash for the brake system right?
Yep, you could. I however, don't have the switches

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Broccoli2, how's the Mopar harness working out for you?
Sponsored