Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Honestly .Hard for me to find a real difference.
I installed them this afternoon. At first when I tested them I didn't see much of a difference. Then I aimed the lights a bit higher and tried both modes. Holy cow! the high beam function reaches WAY out there. Probably most of a mile! On Low beam it's almost perfect for highway usage with no oncoming traffic, obviously. The side lighting perfectly lights to either side of the Jeep and uniformly lights the rode out to about as far as the headlights on bright, only with a bit more detail.
Sponsored

JMEYER 1198

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 two door Rubicon
I'm still waiting on order but does anyone know if I'll be able to use the factory auxiliary switches? I ordered the harness but it comes with a position on-off-on switch for high low and not sure if I can do away with that and use the factory ones somehow. Would I have to use two of the factory switches? I'm not to electrically savoy but have done some simple stuff. Just looking for some direction so when they arrive I can install. Thanks
85521838-1E02-4576-9E87-953F228BABE0.jpeg

OP
OP
1idrod

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
These are the LP6 I used the wiring harness from them and did not run them through my auxiliary switches
I got mine installed using the factory Aux switches. I used 1 and 3. Yours looks great by the way!!

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can use the Aux switches but if you accidentally turn on both the high beam and low beam at the same time it will fry the lights.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1idrod

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
You can use the Aux switches but if you accidentally turn on both the high beam and low beam at the same time it will fry the lights.
Yep. Just didn't want to add more when I already had these. Really dont have plans for much more so should be good and if I need more I may go with the S pod later and reconfigure then. Just have to be careful.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you guys take pics of the beam pattern? Also curious about the side lighting? Is it like a rigid side shooter or is it the amber side lighting?Thanks
The side lights function a bit like the side shooter lighting up the peripheral areas of the front of the Jeep. If I turn them on driving down a residential street it lights the houses 90 degrees to me on both sides pretty well. On low beam the lights reach out about to where your high beam headlights do only they fill the area out with light much better. On High beam they reach out what seems about 3/4 mile or more. They are seriously bright on high beam. I had the wife drive about a half mile up the road from me, turn around and drive back with them on high beams. It looks like a locomotive coming at you. Do NOT turn the high beams on if there is any chance of oncoming traffic. Anyone catching them directly in the face is going to lost their vision for a few seconds.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@offcamber that is bright. Do you have pics of the side lighting and how it shines the ditch? wondering if the lp9 can also replace ditch lights on the a-pillar or would it still be needed
The side lights aren't as bright as you'd get from dedicated ditch lights, but they do a pretty good job. Driving through a neighborhood you can clearly see each house about 90 degrees the side of the bumper.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I just did this installation. However, in order to preserve the lights, but still use the aux switches, I created my own wiring harness using a 5 pin relay (Panasonic CB1-T-R-M-12V). @BajaDesigns you may want to create a harness like this to sell to people with a JL + Aux switches, as I'm sure many people will want to do this installation but not want to create their own harness like I did. You'll just have to figure out how/what you want to tap into for the amber back-lighting. You can wire it to another Aux switch or tap into the DRL/Fogs/etc.

Relay wiring (see above for relay model) is as follows:
85: Chassis ground
30: Aux1/40a
86: Aux3/15a
87a: LP9 low beam
87: LP9 high beam

Harness to lights has an additional ground wire (attached to chassis ground, same as relay) and another wire for amber circuit. It's just not terminated at this point, until I figure out what I want to do with it (if anything). I don't have the amber back-light wired right now. I'm debating if I want to tap into the fog lights, DRL, or do something else (I'll test it out later to see how bright it is).

This way, 'Aux 1' turns the LP9s on or off, and 'Aux 3' off == low beam, 'Aux 3' on == high beam. This protects the circuit on the LP9s from being energized on both low and high beam at the same time, which is obviously a no-no and something previous posters had worried about.

I used 12AWG stranded and wrapped in Techflex Insultherm, with heatshrink at all joints. I spliced in (solder joint) for the second headlight off the run for the first. I used self-fusing silicon tape at these joints, as well as to wrap up the relay, which is connected via crimped tab terminals, so it can be removed and replaced if needed. The lights are just bolted onto the JLUR steel bumper using the hardware provided by BD. They work wonderfully.

7lp8lF8Dng3cdiwEMq61CF34ye99HmPB-svm-sZF9-dZ3b6K3LcW3Kw6zhU6tW8hn8-Qzb0umxq9BBqMg=w1637-h1229-no.jpg

J1JoM0LpuKVFg399NM9-lbro4HjqtG5gIuG9KdumQDkHUSTErb3boZcK2xkukKdCtyJVrXCzPSWq61OwA=w1637-h1229-no.jpg

Last edited:

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With regards to powering both low and high at once. The other night I apparently accidentally had both the high and low beam switch tripped. It was probably on for about 5 minutes that way. I turned off one and they were fine. i know it says it can damage the light, but luckily it did not in this case.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
With regards to powering both low and high at once. The other night I apparently accidentally had both the high and low beam switch tripped. It was probably on for about 5 minutes that way. I turned off one and they were fine. i know it says it can damage the light, but luckily it did not in this case.
I spoke to BD about this on the phone, they said for a short period it probably won't damage anything, but it isn't good, either. The relay/etc required to prevent the possibility was only a few dollars, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

cmmurray77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
These are the LP6 I used the wiring harness from them and did not run them through my auxiliary switches
What hoop did you use on your bumper. Having a hard time deciding what size light and hoop to go.
Sponsored