Sponsored

2018 Wrangler ordering questions

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
When I placed the order for our JKUR and signed the paperwork a 2k deposit was needed.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
When you place an order for a vehicle, do they commonly require a deposit? Is the deposit usually a dollar figure or a percentage of MSRP?
This will vary based on dealership requirements. Just check your states laws re: if deposits are refundable. Some dealers will claim they are non refundable but reside in states where that's not legal. The last car I ordered, here in Phoenix a couple of years ago, I placed a $500 deposit. Deposits are a good thing, as they keep both parties accountable.

Sadly, we are still so far (6 months) away still from being able to order :( But you bet I will be in there ordering one when it comes out.... then will trade it in on the truck once that's out.

I wonder how Jeep will handle the Wrangler production when it's 6-7-8 years into production on the JL(U)/JT and EV's are significantly more available than today. The refresh of the JK included a new motor -- very curious if they add some kind of hybrid drive train for the perhaps the last couple of years of JL/JLU/JT production.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I wonder how Jeep will handle the Wrangler production when it's 6-7-8 years into production on the JL(U)/JT and EV's are significantly more available than today. The refresh of the JK included a new motor -- very curious if they add some kind of hybrid drive train for the perhaps the last couple of years of JL/JLU/JT production.
I think hybrid JL Wranglers are inevitable and there's already signs they're coming.

This chart shows FCA's plans for a mild hybrid and full hybrid (HEV) Wrangler -- http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...e-gasoline-diesel-mild-hybrid-full-hybrid.13/

And Manley himself hinted at hybridization for the Wrangler -- http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-chief-manley-talks-hybrid-and-jt-pickup.645/

Sponsored

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
I've always bought vehicles from the lot and never placed an order like this. I plan on trading in my Hummer (Yes i'm jumping ship haha) so hypothetically if I place my order in October and take delivery around February, would FCA give me a trade in value for my Hummer when I place my order in October and project the 4 months of mileage? Or do I have to wait until delivery for them to value the trade in on my Hummer?

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I've always bought vehicles from the lot and never placed an order like this. I plan on trading in my Hummer (Yes i'm jumping ship haha) so hypothetically if I place my order in October and take delivery around February, would FCA give me a trade in value for my Hummer when I place my order in October and project the 4 months of mileage? Or do I have to wait until delivery for them to value the trade in on my Hummer?
Oh ordering is a fun process. You'll get your Wrangler color and equipped exactly as you want it.

As for trade-in value of your Hummer, it'll be valued at the time you take delivery and pay for your JL.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Oh ordering is a fun process. You'll get your Wrangler color and equipped exactly as you want it.

As for trade-in value of your Hummer, it'll be valued at the time you take delivery and pay for your JL.
When you ordered your Jeep how much were you able to haggle with the price? I'm wondering if it's going to be harder with the 2018 JL as it is the first of it's generation.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
When you ordered your Jeep how much were you able to haggle with the price? I'm wondering if it's going to be harder with the 2018 JL as it is the first of it's generation.
You're still at a disadvantage at the time a new model comes out, even just model year itself you're better off deal wise with the end of the cycle, however the best deals usually are when you can leverage inventory sitting on a lot that hasn't moved (a summer colour, a special edition long gone, especially winter editions mid-late summer/fall), but then you lose the ordering option the way you want it. Through work I get a corporate rate, and it's close to rock bottom, so I don't get much haggling room regardless of time of year, however FCA does run promotions throughout the year.

However you can get other deals by negotiating for other items that the dealer themselves have large markups on (see below) than just trying to get dollars from the dealer off a price that is still heavily controlled by FCA.

Now speaking of those discounts, something to be aware of is you don't lose out on discounts that arrive after you order, but you might lose some deals if your order is delayed long enough that they expire so in order to lock in that price floor based on a current deal you need to leave a deposit to secure that maximum, but it still might become cheaper, just guaranteed not to go up. Usually though there are few deals at launch and more as the year progresses (with some Xmas / NewYear's promotions to make year-end sales figures look good so maybe JL will get those).
My JK I spec'ed out to order right as the banks opened, but as it was a colour that came later in the model year it was put on hold, finally once Baja was available about 2 months later and arrived another ~ 6 weeks later it was eligible for $1,800 in discounts that weren't there when initially ordered.
So my advice, if your agreed price with the dealer is determined by current discounts (like possibly year-end for JL) then make sure you leave a small deposit to lock in in case of production delays. Check the previous years' order threads on other forums and notice this aspect and the fretting of those who didn't lock in their price with a deposit, if their order got delayed.

As for a little additional haggling room I mentioned above, look at dealer supplied/supported things you might want/use/need and see if there's stuff there that saves you money while not costing them much. I got them to throw in a few things beyond the rear camera unlock that I always get which costs them nothing during initial PDI , I got them to change to synthetic oil instead of conventional for their 1,3,5,7th free changes (although technically I pay for first conventional oil change at first 500 miles to flush the engine) but they also know I have always had synthetic even before I bought from them and just serviced through them. I also got free first winter tire swap & balance (since it was arriving at the start of winter), and then locking gas cap and hood lock at cost with free ignition key setup (bolt hood lock is easy just turn, but locking gas cap manually put tumblers in place). Just that keying alone saves about $25-50 per lock 'keying charge'. I also get them to do the labour of installing the 7-pin trailer hitch connector which just makes life easier since they have it on the hoist anyways.
Sure that last stuff is small potatoes, but once you feel you've both reached the end of haggling and can't get any more blood from a stone, especially for a brand new vehicle with less wiggle-room than a vehicle off the lot, it's nice to still feel like you got a bit more to seal the deal.

Figure out what you might use and see if they can give you a break there where they can remove their more flexible markup.

My dad gets them to throw in a new Jeep or Dodge Baseball cap at signing and has for about 25 years, which always make me laugh.
I still think he left VW and returned to Jeep because they didn't have a ball cap for him, not because he drove my old GC and liked it. ;)

PS, forgot to mention, as with everything, any special agreements you make with the dealership make sure you put / get it in writing as a condition/term of sale.
A friend whom I told this to forgot to get it all in writing, and had a hassle doing the synthetic oil at his dealership (it does cost them a small bit more so the service manager will push back your reducing his revenue if you don't have it in writing from the dealership).

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
New wranglers sell so well they rarely have factory incentives. This should be even more true of the JL.

You can negotiate yourself. On the jK some people were able to get some really good deals but generally about 2-3% below invoice (broad generalization there).

The best bet for Wranglers it to take advantage of affiliate pricing or other deals that lock you in at a percentage below invoice. The most prevalent:

- Chrysler affiliate or Tread Lightly that get you 1% below invoice. You can do better on a JK but this is no hassle. And my guess is we won't be able to negotiate better on a JL year 1

- TrueCar or similar buying services. I have one through USAA for example. My understanding is these can get you 1% - 2% below invoice on a JK but I haven't used them for a Jeep so I can't say for sure.

- High-volume dealers who do "group buys". These are available through some of the popular wrangler forums and have the deepest discounts (5%-6% below invoice currently depending on model), but have the disadvantage that you have to travel to pick up your jeep

In addition to this, there is the mythical "Golden Ticket". If you request a brochure and manage to get on the jeep incentives mailing list, they will send you a coupon for $500 off or (more rarely) even $1000 off. The Golden Ticket has an expiration date and you need to take possession before it expires. These come in emails or through the mail and are easy to miss. But you can call the Jeep Incentives toll free number and they can look you up to see if you have one. They usually run these a couple of times a year when they are trying to move vehicles - late winter and early fall.

All of these programs make exceptions for certain vehicles and are subject to change so it remains to be seen if they will be scaled back for the JL.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
- High-volume dealers who do "group buys". These are available through some of the popular wrangler forums and have the deepest discounts (5%-6% below invoice currently depending on model), but have the disadvantage that you have to travel to pick up your jeep
Group buy seems like the best deal it seems. How exactly does someone put something like that together? LA is the closest city to myself that would have high volume dealers.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Well, here is the bad news.

The group buys are set up by the dealers and there are very few of them.

Used to be one in Texas I think but right now the only one I am aware of is in DC area.

Trying to follow the forum etiquette here but all I can say is do a little googling and check out some of the other wrangler forums for more info.

GOBOGIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ with 301k and counting - Energizer Bunny
Well, here is the bad news.

The group buys are set up by the dealers and there are very few of them.

Used to be one in Texas I think but right now the only one I am aware of is in DC area.

Trying to follow the forum etiquette here but all I can say is do a little googling and check out some of the other wrangler forums for more info.
Gotcha
Sponsored

Last edited: