Sponsored

is this why Jeeps keep catching on fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
OP
OP

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I realize you are trolling, but you need practice. This was a poor attempt, 0 out of 10.

1) This is a JL forum
2) Jeeps aren't constantly catching on fire.
I'm definitely not trolling. I've been doing a lot of reading while waiting for a JL on order and there have been news reports on fires in the JLs too (not just in the Toledo lot). i know it can happen with all car brands and I'm sure it's highly isolated, but Ive seen enough that i installed a smoke detector in my garage. just in case i ever get my order. and in fairness, i've owned 10 different cars in my lifetime but have never seen flames in the radio. the article doesn't say, but i assume the owner did something to bypass the fuse or otherwise impact electrical power going to the Mopar radio.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
You should always have a smoke detector in your garage if it's attached to your house. If it's not attached how do you hear it in the house?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
If it's not attached how do you hear it in the house?
...you trench fire wire in a steel pole below the 2' frost line to the garage, where, presumably not a heated garage, you connect a hard wired heat detector, not a smoke alarm to that wire, that leads back into the house. It's 55 degrees year round in the dirt. Make sure the wire's ampacity is rated for the distance it travels.

No smoke alarm I know, whether old school based on the radioactive decay of Americium, or visual smoke detecting works below freezing.

Heat detectors are mechanical devices that incorporate metal alloys rated to melt at particular temperatures (i.e. fire), close a circuit, and trigger an audible alarm within hearing distance of the resident, vis a vis the aforementioned wire.

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I'm definitely not trolling. I've been doing a lot of reading while waiting for a JL on order and there have been news reports on fires in the JLs too (not just in the Toledo lot). i know it can happen with all car brands and I'm sure it's highly isolated, but Ive seen enough that i installed a smoke detector in my garage. just in case i ever get my order. and in fairness, i've owned 10 different cars in my lifetime but have never seen flames in the radio. the article doesn't say, but i assume the owner did something to bypass the fuse or otherwise impact electrical power going to the Mopar radio.
Things fail, accidents happen. It's impossible to know what caused that issue. You can find fires with any vehicle you research, it can happen to any vehicle, and does. Owner mistakes, accidents, failures of components, there's no way to make a vehicle fire and idiot proof. Posting a link to an article talking about a fire in a radio from a JK, on a JL forum with an inflammatory topic is 100% trolling, even if you didn't intend to do so. There is no widespread fire issue with JLs, currently, so rest easy.

Not sure what advantage a smoke detector in your garage is going to provide, how would you hear it? Is your garage attached and you wired it into your home-wide smoke detector network? If so, good on you, hopefully you'll never need it but any brand vehicle can have a failure resulting in a fire.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Lots of derp in the linked article..."we can clearly see a fire inside the unit, which only gets more intense as it's exposed to fresh oxygen outside of the shop."

:cwl::cwl::cwl:

Hard to take the article and its attempted hyperventilating seriously...

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Well, I guess its time to trade in my 2019 now.:cwl:

snide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grand Cherokee
It's OK for the radio to have fire inside. It's all good until the smoke gets out. Then you have a problem.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.