Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Though all the angst makes for some amusing reading. It's like one of those teen dramas my daughter likes, but with numbers.
LOL!!
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Are people still upset in here? All Wranglers will kill a trail! Rubicons built for rocks will Kill a Trail, a Bone stock Sport will Kill a trail... They're all made for it.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Thanks for setting the record straight....unfortunately, things get said on a forum and then it gets repeated (I'm obviously guilty of it in this instance).

Question though...where did you get the numbers you're citing? Do you have a link?

I've read that the RockTrac was 110. And The sway bar disco motor might only be 13.3 lbs....but is that number the difference between the standard and electronic one, b/c the assembly is definitely heavier than that.

The tires and rock sliders standard on the Rubi will be a little more than the Sport as well.....but as I said earlier...in all, it's no more than a couple hundred pounds different. We're starting to split hairs though when you're talking with the top and without....now it's closer to a 100-150 lb difference in what was said or around 3% of the total weight.

Jeep's own website claims a 238# difference for the two models with the same tops....I'd wager they're more accurate than any forum "guesses" not based on an actual scale.

This is where my number above is coming from:

https://www.jeep.com/build.wrangler...DLK,SDA,X9,PRC,23B,APA/filters/filterGroup3:1

https://www.jeep.com/build.wrangler...SDD,UAG,X9,PBM,23R,APA/filters/filterGroup3:1

Although, in fairness...those same Dimensions and Capacities lists the Sport and Rubicon as the same overall height while the "running ground clearance" on the Rubi is 1.1" higher in spite of larger tires offset to some extent by larger diffs, so obviously, the website isn't infallible.

The weight of the TC came from the manufacturer, Novak which lists the weight as 90lbs here: - http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np241or

The weight on the swaybar was just for the motor and mechanism. Thats what the shipping weight is when you have to replace it. Been there done that.

Note I'm not saying there isn't ANY difference, I'm saying the post saying the Rubi is 400lbs heavier was bullshit. Especially when using that claim to say it has a higher CG when most of the weight is down low...

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
....To whomever said that the CG was higher because the Rubicon was 2" taller .. The Rubicon springs only net 1" of lift which is not going to drastically alter the cg
You're digging a deeper hole but hey, it's your shovel. Rubi takeoffs net 1" springs, 1/2 inch shocks, and 3/4 inch tires. That's what. hmmmm, oh yeah, 2 1/4 inches.
As others have mentioned, tone it down a bit. We all love the Rubicon but not everyone needs lockers. :jk:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The weight of the TC came from the manufacturer, Novak which lists the weight as 90lbs here: - http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np241or

The weight on the swaybar was just for the motor and mechanism. Thats what the shipping weight is when you have to replace it. Been there done that.

Note I'm not saying there isn't ANY difference, I'm saying the post saying the Rubi is 400lbs heavier was bullshit. Especially when using that claim to say it has a higher CG when most of the weight is down low...
Most of the arguments in here are pretty silly but the Rubicon is lifted so it does have a slightly higher COG by definition.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
You're digging a deeper hole but hey, it's your shovel. Rubi takeoffs net 1" springs, 1/2 inch shocks, and 3/4 inch tires. That's what. hmmmm, oh yeah, 2 1/4 inches.
As others have mentioned, tone it down a bit. We all love the Rubicon but not everyone needs lockers. :jk:
Shocks do NOT add lift, they dampen. Let's not add any more to the stupidity level here. I would be willing to bet money that if someone were to accurately calculate the CG, they would find that the Rubicon's CG is lower than a sport simply due to that couple of hundred pounds down low, lowers the CG more than the 1" of lift increases it....

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Shocks do NOT add lift, they dampen. Let's not add any more to the stupidity level here. I would be willing to bet money that if someone were to accurately calculate the CG, they would find that the Rubicon's CG is lower than a sport simply due to that couple of hundred pounds down low, lowers the CG more than the 1" of lift increases it....
You need to take a physics class.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Not sure I'd take that bet. You're raising the entire sprung mass of the vehicle 1-2" versus gaining around a 3% overall change in weight below the CoG. You could be right....but I'm not so sure.
All of the weight is raised, other than the tires. Axles, transfer case, all the additional weight is higher than the sport/sahara. You don't have to guess/bet on this it's simple. The Rubicon would obviously have a slightly higher CG.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
IMG_0245.gif

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Higher center of gravity could be offset by wider stance. The only way to settle this is to get a Sport and a Rubicon and slowly tip them till they roll while filming the angle readouts on the dashboard.
Looking for volunteers.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Higher center of gravity could be offset by wider stance. The only way to settle this is to get a Sport and a Rubicon and slowly tip them till they roll while filming the angle readouts on the dashboard.
Looking for volunteers.
Wider stance does not change the CG though, it adds stability.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Meh...it's more complicated than that, but whatever.
I know exactly how complicated it is, but for the sake of argument I posted the simple explanation. We can start noodling on about arm lengths for each of the heavier items but the reality is the Rubicon absolutely has a higher CG than a sport.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Shocks do NOT add lift, they dampen. Let's not add any more to the stupidity level here......
I'm trying but you keep posting. :) GAS shocks grasshopper, look them up. :)

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
This thread had me so confused, I panicked and bought this beauty for serious off-roading. My Jeep will just stay on tarmac now, couldn’t be happier:rock::giggle:

upload_2018-11-16_21-8-13.jpeg
Sponsored