Sponsored

Rubicon having issue going up the same terrain while sport easily went up

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
4.88's would be overkill. 4.56 would be about right, but honestly why regear? Even with 37's mine will still hit 60mph in right at 8 secs. There is very little difference between the stock tire size and 37's performance wise. The tranny just uses the lower first and second gears for longer to make up for it.
I'm sorry...I thought it was my wife's Jeep, not yours. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just reread through everything, so the general consensus is the sport is better than a rubicon when wheeling but the rubicon looks better? :giggle:

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Just reread through everything, so the general consensus is the sport is better than a rubicon when wheeling but the rubicon looks better? :giggle:
This wasn’t my intent at all. I just had a question on BLd performance on rubicon va sport

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
I mean, honestly, my 2 door Rubicon is really good looking!:involve:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
And where did you get that idea? So explain to me what on EARTH on a Rubicon would weight 400lbs more than a sport? Do you even know what the difference in the Rubicon is? Axles, brakes and T-case are the only real difference. Maybe and I mean MAYBE 100lbs heavier but 400lbs? That's just stupid silly.
Please check your tone and do some research before you start ranting here.
Sport is about 400 pounds. Don’t know why but some of it has to do with not having electronic windows, locks, etc
In addition to that my sport was 700 lighter than the other rubicon since I didn’t have the doors, and the top

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Please check your tone and do some research before you start ranting here.
Sport is about 400 pounds. Don’t know why but some of it has to do with not having electronic windows, locks, etc
In addition to that my sport was 700 lighter than the other rubicon since I didn’t have the doors, and the top
I think it's funny that the guy who says their sport was 700lbs lighter than a Rubicon is telling me to do some research? The top weighs about 100lbs. All 4 doors are maybe another hundred. Your math is off. And electric windows and locks aren't limited to Rubicons.

But hey, since you wanted research:

A Dana 30 front axle weighs about 250lbs
The D44 front axle weighs about 315lbs
The rear D44 is about 250lbs.
A D35 rear axle is around 225lbs

The NVG 241OR RockTrac Transfer case weights a whopping 90lbs. The command trac case weighs 80 lbs.
The electric swaybar disconnect is about 13.3 lbs.

So the Rubicon specific features amount to about 115lbs more. I'd say you are almost 300 lbs over estimating the Rubi's weight...

To whomever said that the CG was higher because the Rubicon was 2" taller .. The Rubicon springs only net 1" of lift which is not going to drastically alter the cg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
I’m just quoting the numbers listed on the forum. Look st the link that was posted here regarding the weight. 4 doors all together are about 200 pounds and the top another 100
I think it's funny that the guy who says their sport was 700lbs lighter than a Rubicon is telling me to do some research? The top weighs about 100lbs. All 4 doors are maybe another hundred. Your math is off. And electric windows and locks aren't limited to Rubicons.

But hey, since you wanted research:

A Dana 30 front axle weighs about 250lbs
The D44 front axle weighs about 315lbs
The rear D44 is about 250lbs.
A D35 rear axle is around 225lbs

The NVG 241OR RockTrac Transfer case weights a whopping 90lbs. The command trac case weighs 80 lbs.
The electric swaybar disconnect is about 13.3 lbs.

So the Rubicon specific features amount to about 115lbs more. I'd say you are almost 300 lbs over estimating the Rubi's weight...

To whomever said that the CG was higher because the Rubicon was 2" taller .. The Rubicon springs only net 1" of lift which is not going to drastically alter the cg

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Jeez it's a dirt road. you're not rock crawling. How about some momentum and you will just roll over those tiny ruts. :facepalm:

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Pretty clear it was a different line in that first video. Hilarious to read some of these comments tho. Im pretty sure my wifes Grand Cherokee could find its way up most of that stuff with the right line.

Point I'm making here is a little to the left or right can totally change how hard you make something on some trails.

Lsd are a great option but to argue they are be better then lockers makes me assume you've never seen what lockers are capable of nor really needed them for a obstacle.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All!

Looks like the Rubicon is on more of a "street" set up. Look at the size of his rims and profile of the tire. The sport is set up much better for actually being off road with smaller rims and bigger sidewall on tires.

Swap the wheels and tires and you'll see an immediate swap of results. :)
Also airing down would help tremendously. At least to 20psi if not a little lower.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
All I see is a bunch of people who purchased the cheapest Jeep possible watching a video that makes them feel good about their buyers remorse Jeep.
The video is not all conclusive, But if it make you feel good IM HAPPY FOR YA.
LOL we are all jeepers let's be happy for that.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
All I see is a video of people buying what they could afford to get into an amazing model of the Wrangler and making the best out of it. If money grew on trees we'd probably all have Rubis whether we used them to their full potential or not, I know I would, and would use it.
We bought the Sahara and drank the kool-aid hard and immediately wished we had bought a Rubi as soon as we started off-roading. Oh well, lesson learned, we are still having a blast and happy to be part of the Jeep family.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
This is a BEAN COUNT THREAD--

It has no use in REALITY !

W.E.

JIMBO
Agreed. Though all the angst makes for some amusing reading. It's like one of those teen dramas my daughter likes, but with numbers.
Sponsored