Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully this steering stabilizer TSB or recall that someone said their dealer brought up will come out soon. Seems everyone is adjusting the steering box to remove the excessive play in the steering wheel.
Ya I saw that. I wasn't comfortable messing with the steering box myself. I did mention it to the mechanic at the dealership, he said it seemed fine. I'm sure he was paid to say that LOL.
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ya I saw that. I wasn't comfortable messing with the steering box myself. I did mention it to the mechanic at the dealership, he said it seemed fine. I'm sure he was paid to say that LOL.
What seemed fine... the steering box or the steering stabilizer? If the stabilizer, did he remove it like you did to see if it had play in it by hand? Or did he just eye ball it? By the way, on the Falcon steering stabilizer, did you also try to move it back and forth by hand before installing it? If yes, how would you describe the amount of force (by hand, not installed) comparing the OEM stabilizer to the Falcon steering stabilizer? By the way, this is excellent info. Thanks for sharing it.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What seemed fine... the steering box or the steering stabilizer? If the stabilizer, did he remove it like you did to see if it had play in it by hand? Or did he just eye ball it? By the way, on the Falcon steering stabilizer, did you also try to move it back and forth by hand before installing it? If yes, how would you describe the amount of force (by hand, not installed) comparing the OEM stabilizer to the Falcon steering stabilizer? By the way, this is excellent info. Thanks for sharing it.

He said the steering box seemed fine....I'm assuming he eye balled it. He did not remove the steering stabilizer....I was there with him in the bay the whole time. The Falcon steering stabilizer.....I could not move it by hand...and I really tried to! I feel that it takes a lot of force to move one of these by hand. I mean after all it is a shock of some sort!

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just food for thought, timestamped for info.
I can see your point RubiRob, I also had the caster adjusted as well to no avail. With the factory stabilizer, going over bumps on side roads it would literally throw my Jeep around and jerk the steering wheel a bit. Now I can actually feel the new shocks absorbing the bumps more rather than shimmering through my steering wheel. Since installing the new stabilizer, going over bumps doesn't jerk my steering wheel anymore. I suppose only time will tell. First years problems LOL.

Sponsored

Trayce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado, 2012 Range Rover Supercharged, 2010 JKU, 1996 Porsche C4S
I’ve also got the death wobble/shimmy. 7500 miles, stock rubicon, had it in the shop last week. Dealer couldn’t find anything wrong or duplicate the shaking. The next day as I pull onto the highway and hit a manhole cover the steering wheel starts shaking violently. I went straight back to the dealer and took a mechanic for a ride. Now the dealer I is going to install a steering stabilizer.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I can see your point RubiRob, I also had the caster adjusted as well to no avail. With the factory stabilizer, going over bumps on side roads it would literally throw my Jeep around and jerk the steering wheel a bit. Now I can actually feel the new shocks absorbing the bumps more rather than shimmering through my steering wheel. Since installing the new stabilizer, going over bumps doesn't jerk my steering wheel anymore. I suppose only time will tell. First years problems LOL.
How did they fix your caster with fixed control arms?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
He said the steering box seemed fine....I'm assuming he eye balled it. He did not remove the steering stabilizer....I was there with him in the bay the whole time. The Falcon steering stabilizer.....I could not move it by hand...and I really tried to! I feel that it takes a lot of force to move one of these by hand. I mean after all it is a shock of some sort!
Very interesting video. In summary, the guy in the video (Ryan) said it won’t fix steering issues and is only a "luxury item". True, but if the OEM steering stabilizer is bad, then it would fix steering issues related to the steering stabilizer. Then again something else in the system could be causing the OEM stabilizer to go bad. But because people are reporting steering slop in the wheel day 1 with no miles on it, and same thing for JLs in dealer inventory, seems like a bad OEM stabilizer (design or otherwise) right off the bat. It will be interesting to see if the Fox steering stabilizer goes bad too because something else in the steering system (track bar problem mentioned before perhaps)? Thoughts?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’ve also got the death wobble/shimmy. 7500 miles, stock rubicon, had it in the shop last week. Dealer couldn’t find anything wrong or duplicate the shaking. The next day as I pull onto the highway and hit a manhole cover the steering wheel starts shaking violently. I went straight back to the dealer and took a mechanic for a ride. Now the dealer I is going to install a steering stabilizer.
Which steering stabilizer are they going to install? Supposedly the OEM steering stabilizer is on back order until Feb 2019. FYI: Some say the track bar caused their particular wobble/shimmy problem, some say the steering stabilizer. So could be either or both.

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting video. In summary, the guy in the video (Ryan) said it won’t fix steering issues and is only a "luxury item". True, but if the OEM steering stabilizer is bad, then it would fix steering issues related to the steering stabilizer. Then again something else in the system could be causing the OEM stabilizer to go bad. But because people are reporting steering slop in the wheel day 1 with no miles on it, and same thing for JLs in dealer inventory, seems like a bad OEM stabilizer (design or otherwise) right off the bat. It will be interesting to see if the Fox steering stabilizer goes bad too because something else in the steering system (track bar problem mentioned before perhaps)? Thoughts?
I'm just saying that you don't need a $350 stabilizer to fix this issue. And if it's fixing it, then I would assume that it's only masking it until it wears out prematurely. If the OEM one is bad then it should be replaced no doubt, but I installed a cheap FOX SS and its just as "loose" as my OEM one was. And made barely any difference.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm just saying that you don't need a $350 stabilizer to fix this issue. And if it's fixing it, then I would assume that it's only masking it until it wears out prematurely. If the OEM one is bad then it should be replaced no doubt, but I installed a cheap FOX SS and its just as "loose" as my OEM one was. And made barely any difference.
But there are JLs with less than 10 miles on them that have the excessive steering wheel play. And many are reporting excessive steering play when they take it from the dealer's lot before they get home, so very little miles on them. What would cause so many OEM steering stabilizers to fail at 10 or even 100 miles? It would be interesting to take 2 brand new JLs, one with excessive steering play and one with normal steering play, remove the steering stabilizers and compare them like Command Line RC did. Yes, the track bar could be flawed causing the steering stabilizer to eventually go bad, but not immediately. Right?
Sponsored