Rubicon vs. Sport S

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
So I can either get a Rubicon then put 35's on it and a level kit or a Sport S Mopar lift, rims and 35's, and front bumper and winch. With those two options what would you do? It is 90% daily driver. The off roading won't be anything too crazy. Old logging and mining roads in the mountains in Wyoming, hunting, and getting to fly fishing spots. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, what’s your budget? What other options are you interested in?

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
As you describe it, the Sport S should work and give you a more complete Jeep. If you expect to need lockers or ever would want larger than a 35” tire, I would go Rubicon.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
So I can either get a Rubicon then put 35's on it and a level kit or a Sport S Mopar lift, rims and 35's, and front bumper and winch. With those two options what would you do? It is 90% daily driver. The off roading won't be anything too crazy. Old logging and mining roads in the mountains in Wyoming, hunting, and getting to fly fishing spots. Thanks for any help.
I'm with @mwilk012, really comes down to budget. For the sake of argument, though, I'll assume you're pricing them out to be about the same.

If that's the case, I'd say it comes down to if you wanna mod or not. Modding is fun, but costly. If you don't want to be bothered modding, I'd go Rubi and not look back. If you think you'll wanna mod a lot, I'd take a hard look at the Sport S. For what you're doing, you don't need a winch, and that money could go into a few other fun mods (see the "What did you do TO your Jeep" thread for some ideas).

OP
OP

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
I'm with @mwilk012, really comes down to budget. For the sake of argument, though, I'll assume you're pricing them out to be about the same.

If that's the case, I'd say it comes down to if you wanna mod or not. Modding is fun, but costly. If you don't want to be bothered modding, I'd go Rubi and not look back. If you think you'll wanna mod a lot, I'd take a hard look at the Sport S. For what you're doing, you don't need a winch, and that money could go into a few other fun mods (see the "What did you do TO your Jeep" thread for some ideas).
Budget is 50,000. I don't plan on doing any more mods. The Sport S with all of the add-ons I mentioned is the same price as the Rubicon with a leveling kit and 35's. I really do want the Jeep to be a little taller and more aggressive looking (that is my biggest goal) and I'm thinking that would be the Sport S. But I live at 6600ft and don't want to have to regear (especially not right away). I don't care whether it is an automatic or standard.

Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
depends on how much you will have into the sport, you may find out that just for a few grand more, you can get into a base rubicon.

sport s with lunchbox lockers, stage one lift and 35's, bumpers and a winch can be done on the cheap and still be just as capable as a rubicon.

OP
OP

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
depends on how much you will have into the sport, you may find out that just for a few grand more, you can get into a base rubicon.

sport s with lunchbox lockers, stage one lift and 35's, bumpers and a winch can be done on the cheap and still be just as capable as a rubicon.
This is what I was looking for. What are lunchbox lockers? With the JL would i get more power with an automatic or manual? As far as off setting not getting new gears right away.

OP
OP

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T

I can get everything I mentioned on a Sport S with anti-slip rear, hard top, 7.0 screen apple play, cold weather group for 43,000 and a Rubicon stock with hard top same packages for anywhere between 42,000-44,000.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Sport S is more than adequate based on your stated light offroading. If budget is a concern, skip the winch and lockers. 95% of jeepers dont need them.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with others sounds like a Sport S is up your alley is the limited slip diff an option for the Sport S if so I think would be a desired option.

Sponsored

Rural Applachia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited 2018 JLU Sport S
With the Rubi you will pay for features you never need/use. We have a Dana 44 on the rear axle of the Sport S all the toys we could use hard top,rear 44 Dana, Anti slip, 7 inch, cold weather, A/T tires. We ended up around $39,000. We use the Sport and the Rubicon for business and go over a lot of dirt, gravel, large pot holes. There is only one place ever I went in the Rubicon that I don't think the Sport cold go and I would not go again even in the Rubicon. The road had switch back curves that turned the Jeep side ways. 4 of those switch backs in 1 mile. I thought I was going to flip.

OP
OP

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
Thank you everyone. I had a 2012 Rubicon and used the lockers once. All it did was get me more stuck. I will go with the Sport S. Again I appreciate everyones input.

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
If I could only have one or the other, I’d take the limited slip rear with front winch over the two factory lockers any day. The lockers have value but are not the end all be all of recovery. Used in some situations they just get you deeper into the problem as noted. But you described using it for back roads, over landing, getting to fishing holes. The solo back country kind of use and not hard core trail or rock climbing with a group type of use. A good winch with recovery gear can get you out of a jam. Especially when on back roads getting to fishing holes alone.

Sport s with rubicon lift, 33” tires, limited slip rear Dana 44, and warn winch here. And ended up much cheaper than similar rubicon.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
If I could only have one or the other, I’d take the limited slip rear with front winch over the two factory lockers any day. The lockers have value but are not the end all be all of recovery. Used in some situations they just get you deeper into the problem as noted. But you described using it for back roads, over landing, getting to fishing holes. The solo back country kind of use and not hard core trail or rock climbing with a group type of use. A good winch with recovery gear can get you out of a jam. Especially when on back roads getting to fishing holes alone.

Sport s with rubicon lift, 33” tires, limited slip rear Dana 44, and warn winch here. And ended up much cheaper than similar rubicon.
Sounds like a great set up-have a few pics?