Sponsored

2018 JK Rubicon vs. JL Sport S

Would you rather buy a 2018 JK Rubicon or JL Sport S?

• Total voters

ajs91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Malibu
One thought has led to another and I'm considering trading my car in for a Wrangler. I live in Michigan and love backcountry backpacking, however, I can't say that trailheads are so inaccessible that I need a crazy offroad machine. But, I also live 20 minutes from an offroad park & I'm relatively sure that if I did get a Wrangler I probably wouldn't be able to resist that urge and would eventually find myself attempting to scratch that itch. So, it's got me wondering...

What are peoples' thoughts on a 2018 JK Rubicon with limited options added vs. a JL Sport S with several options added? Break it down into two areas of focus - daily driving & offroad prowess:
Do you guys think that the JL Sport S will be that much more comfortable than a JK Rubicon when racking up the miles? How big of a gap will the offroad prowess be? Let's talk 2 doors, not 4..

If this topic already exists then feel free to point me in that direction - I couldn't find one like it, but I'm also learning my way around the site still.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Get the JL Rubicon. Problem solved.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I'll make the assumption you're spending about the same on the vehicle (basic-rubicon vs a decked-sport-s).

There's a 10k difference between the two "base" models, before options. For that 10k you get a much more capable rig in a Rubicon - Dana-44 axles, front and rear lockers,rock-trac, larger alternator, 4.1 gear ratio, performance suspension - and basically a 2" lift over the other models
you also get things like the tech group (apple play, etc), "better" cloth interior, 115v power, auto-temp air conditioner (whoop-de-doo), 7" color cluster in dash

The Rubicon, in my opinion, is a much more capable on- and off- road vehicle, and has a lot more "nice" options stock or available you can't get in a Sport-S. Debating between a Sahara and a Rubi I can understand (never plan to go off-road and want a 'car' - get a Sahara) but if the contemplation is a couple extra options in a Sport-S or a Rubicon - really not a lot of thinking to be had imho

Jeep makes it pretty easy - you can compare models here
https://www.jeep.com/compare/detailed-chart.html?modelYearCode=CUJ201810&variation=1

but all things being equal, if you're going to pay about the same for it (~42k) you might as well get cloth seats and a Rubicon. I imagine the first time you flip those lockers in because you had to, you'll be like - man I sure made the right choice

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
One thought has led to another and I'm considering trading my car in for a Wrangler. I live in Michigan and love backcountry backpacking, however, I can't say that trailheads are so inaccessible that I need a crazy offroad machine. But, I also live 20 minutes from an offroad park & I'm relatively sure that if I did get a Wrangler I probably wouldn't be able to resist that urge and would eventually find myself attempting to scratch that itch. So, it's got me wondering...

What are peoples' thoughts on a 2018 JK Rubicon with limited options added vs. a JL Sport S with several options added? Break it down into two areas of focus - daily driving & offroad prowess:
Do you guys think that the JL Sport S will be that much more comfortable than a JK Rubicon when racking up the miles? How big of a gap will the offroad prowess be? Let's talk 2 doors, not 4..

If this topic already exists then feel free to point me in that direction - I couldn't find one like it, but I'm also learning my way around the site still.
A simple way to put it would be that non-rubicon JL's are very capable machines offroad, and that Rubicon's are a few levels even moreso. Wranglers come with very favorable gearing ratios, a high transfer case ratio, strong solid axles with a lot of wheel travel, and extremely high ground clearance and approach, breakover, and departure angles.

A Rubicon costs several thousand more for a reason. The transfer case, axles, and gearing are all upgraded and geared higher. They include electronic swaybar disconnects to further increase flex (articulation) offroad. The otherwise open-diff axles come with selectable lockers, front and rear, which alone would cost thousands to do yourself with comparable aftermarket choices. They are lifted and can clear larger tires than the other Wrangler models. They come, out of the box, ready to mount 35's and tear up trails. As far as an offroad gap, I've seen fairly modified Wranglers doing stuff that stock Rubicons can do. Lockers, suspension travel, clearance, and favorable gearing and crawl ratios go a long way.

I'd suspect most owners would have an extremely good time wheeling a Sport/Sport S/Sahara JL. I'd also suspect most owners would have an extremely excellent time wheeling a Rubicon. But to drive the point home, a stock base model is still VERY capable offroad. Particularly with the anti-spin option, I'd ballpark it to be as capable as a Toyota Tacoma with the TRD offroad package, if that means anything to you.

To give my own offroad perspective, I had a pretty built 87 4Runner I wheeled heavily, but I'm gonna be going with the Sport myself, with the Anti Spin upgrade, which comes with an LSD, A/T tires, and an upgraded rear axle. I'm just gonna use that as a platform to build on later. But if I was truly loaded right now, I'd just splurge for a Rubicon.

I don't think you'd find any kind of reliability gap between the two models, nor any "comfort" gaps barring whatever differences the seats may have. Basically a good question to ask yourself would be if the style and more extreme offroad capability is worth the x-thousand dollar price increase to you. To help with that decision, you may want to factor in the higher future resale of a Rubicon over a Sport/Sport S.

OP
OP
ajs91

ajs91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Malibu
I'll make the assumption you're spending about the same on the vehicle (basic-rubicon vs a decked-sport-s).

There's a 10k difference between the two "base" models, before options. For that 10k you get a much more capable rig in a Rubicon - Dana-44 axles, front and rear lockers,rock-trac, larger alternator, 4.1 gear ratio, performance suspension - and basically a 2" lift over the other models
you also get things like the tech group (apple play, etc), "better" cloth interior, 115v power, auto-temp air conditioner (whoop-de-doo), 7" color cluster in dash

The Rubicon, in my opinion, is a much more capable on- and off- road vehicle, and has a lot more "nice" options stock or available you can't get in a Sport-S. Debating between a Sahara and a Rubi I can understand (never plan to go off-road and want a 'car' - get a Sahara) but if the contemplation is a couple extra options in a Sport-S or a Rubicon - really not a lot of thinking to be had imho

Jeep makes it pretty easy - you can compare models here
https://www.jeep.com/compare/detailed-chart.html?modelYearCode=CUJ201810&variation=1

but all things being equal, if you're going to pay about the same for it (~42k) you might as well get cloth seats and a Rubicon. I imagine the first time you flip those lockers in because you had to, you'll be like - man I sure made the right choice
So I found a JK Rubicon for $33k near me and when I price out the new JL Sport S online with creature comforts I am hovering around $34.5k - Considering that this would be my only vehicle would you still say the last model Rubicon would be better than the new JL Sport S with all the tweaks Jeep has made to the new model? So even once you factor in that it would be a daily driver would you still go with the JK Rubicon?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ajs91

ajs91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Malibu
A simple way to put it would be that non-rubicon JL's are very capable machines offroad, and that Rubicon's are a few levels even moreso. Wranglers come with very favorable gearing ratios, a high transfer case ratio, strong solid axles with a lot of wheel travel, and extremely high ground clearance and approach, breakover, and departure angles.

A Rubicon costs several thousand more for a reason. The transfer case, axles, and gearing are all upgraded and geared higher. They include electronic swaybar disconnects to further increase flex (articulation) offroad. The otherwise open-diff axles come with selectable lockers, front and rear, which alone would cost thousands to do yourself with comparable aftermarket choices. They are lifted and can clear larger tires than the other Wrangler models. They come, out of the box, ready to mount 35's and tear up trails. As far as an offroad gap, I've seen fairly modified Wranglers doing stuff that stock Rubicons can do. Lockers, suspension travel, clearance, and favorable gearing and crawl ratios go a long way.

I'd suspect most owners would have an extremely good time wheeling a Sport/Sport S/Sahara JL. I'd also suspect most owners would have an extremely excellent time wheeling a Rubicon. But to drive the point home, a stock base model is still VERY capable offroad. Particularly with the anti-spin option, I'd ballpark it to be as capable as a Toyota Tacoma with the TRD offroad package, if that means anything to you.

To give my own offroad perspective, I had a pretty built 87 4Runner I wheeled heavily, but I'm gonna be going with the Sport myself, with the Anti Spin upgrade, which comes with an LSD, A/T tires, and an upgraded rear axle. I'm just gonna use that as a platform to build on later. But if I was truly loaded right now, I'd just splurge for a Rubicon.

I don't think you'd find any kind of reliability gap between the two models, nor any "comfort" gaps barring whatever differences the seats may have. Basically a good question to ask yourself would be if the style and more extreme offroad capability is worth the x-thousand dollar price increase to you. To help with that decision, you may want to factor in the higher future resale of a Rubicon over a Sport/Sport S.

Just to be clear you're still talking about the last model JK Rubicon vs. the new model JL Sport S, right?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Just to be clear you're still talking about the last model JK Rubicon vs. the new model JL Sport S, right?
Oh my hell I wrote that essay without noticing you weren't talking JL on both. Damn.

Well, as far as offloading capability, JKR and JLR are pretty similar. JLR is modestly improved over outgoing.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The principles remain the same. In that situation I'd def get the JL.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Get the JL, put some 33 or 35" tires on it and you'll be just fine.

Sponsored

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
My situation is that the JL will be my wife's car. It will be a 2 dr Sport S with soft top only. My only real input was LSD and a trailer tow package. Bonus for me is that she hates Automatics so it will be a 6 spd. She loves driving our Polaris RZR off road and is asking about trails we can take the Wrangler on. Even though FCA is screwing the people around with 2 drs on order, we feel the JL is worth waiting for. We need the top and doors easy to remove and reinstall because of our quick changing weather.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Feel your pain.. but you are on a JL site so results will be way skewed

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
As others have said I am sure (I have not read all replies) the decision is really up to you. I can provide you with my train of thought from when I purchased my first Wrangler.

Personally I did not even think of off roading. My reasons were the following:

- I wanted a convertible fun vehicle for the summer
- I am a huge fan of styling. I have hated most vehicles as they seem to blend with each other and are boring
- I knew a Wrangler could remove doors and drop windshield which was even better. (Mostly in summer I am on two wheels)
- I wanted cargo space for when / if I needed to get something larger home
- I then thought about all the above and living in New England figured the 4X4 would be great for the winter

I bought a JKU Sport S. I have kept it stock. With the value that these hold I figured if I started to venture into off road I could trade it in later on and put the equity in the Jeep into an upgraded model. This is what I am doing now. I am upgrading to a Sahara because I don't do any off road driving that would require more capability.

Now I love the look of the Rubicon and I have been thinking in 3 to 4 years when they release some special additions I may trade up to one. Do I need it NO. With the value these hold however I will be able to trade up to one and simply extend my loan essentially.

TL:DR

Get the sport, get the features you want, see if you enjoy the Jeep and if you ever even end up going to serious off road events / places. If you don't you'll be happy with the sport. If you do you can always upgrade a few years down the road. This way when you do upgrade you will know exactly what you want.

I would also go for the JL. I know a lot have their reasons for not doing this but by buying a JK you are buying 10 year old technology. They have addressed so many things from the JK to the JL I think in the long run you'll wish you had bought the updated version.

Just my 2 cents!

cdrober

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR Ordered
I jave a '14 JKU Sahara (I know you are talking 2 doors) and I've had a good time off-roading both some trails with smallish size rocks and the beach / sand. Based on what you are saying I believe you will be good with the Sport S and the upgraded features. Especially with the aftermarket options you will always be able to upgrade if you want, including lockers / etc., but to be honest I've not gotten stuck yet on East Coast mountains / even deep soft sand dunes (I admit I've never done anything too hardcore). Also, in the 2 door you will have an easier time than my 4 door. If I was in your position I would pick the JLU.

However, all that being said...one of the reasons I am trading my Sahara for a JLUR is that I really do like the Rubicon look. Do I need a JLUR? Probably not...but, will I look for trails (perhaps some up in PA or West Virginia and eventually a road trip to Moab) that make me need to use the locker? Yes!

Up to what you want to do, but the best thing about the Wrangler is you can upgrade it and make it your own!