Sponsored

Sport S vs Rubicon suspension

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a soft top Rubicon JLU and am planning to do the Mopar lift and 35 Nitto Ridge Grapplers at the same time. I am a bit worried about the garage though. With the soft top, what kind of height range am I looking at for the highest point with the top up? I know it can vary a bit but I am just looking for an estimated height at this point.
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Height comes from the springs. Shock length has to be match the spring height as well.

This is why the 2-door and 4-door suspensions aren’t interchangeable. 4-door is heavier.

You can also add spacers to the spring perches to increase height, but then you’ll need to also add shock extenders and higher bump stops. If you don’t and you go full articulation you’ll rip the shock apart as you’ll over extend them.

So when going from 33 to 35 tires you’ll add 1inch if height. Add in 1.5 inches for the Rubi suspension gives you 2.5 total increase or splurge for the 2” mopar lift and you have 3inches if lift. Doesn’t sound like much, but it does make it difficult to enter and the exit for those vertically challenged.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Height comes from the springs. Shock length has to be match the spring height as well.

This is why the 2-door and 4-door suspensions aren’t interchangeable. 4-door is heavier.

You can also add spacers to the spring perches to increase height, but then you’ll need to also add shock extenders and higher bump stops. If you don’t and you go full articulation you’ll rip the shock apart as you’ll over extend them.

So when going from 33 to 35 tires you’ll add 1inch if height. Add in 1.5 inches for the Rubi suspension gives you 2.5 total increase or splurge for the 2” mopar lift and you have 3inches if lift. Doesn’t sound like much, but it does make it difficult to enter and the exit for those vertically challenged.
I am just worried about getting it into the garage at this point. I have a seven foot garage door but the floor inside is raised 1.5 inches for drainage/flood prevention. That leaves about 80 (maybe 80.5 inches) to work with. I have a pretty big fear that I am going to end up with a problem getting my new purchase into the garage when I get it home. I have seen numbers all over the map for a stock JLUR with a soft top. I am figuring about 2.75 inches from the Mopar lift and another 1 inch from the tires for a 3.75 inch boost. If the JLUR comes out to over 76 inches or the lift is closer to or over three, I am in trouble. Oddly, precise measurements of a Rubicon with a soft top are difficult to come by.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
First you’ll need to measure the actual clearance from the bottom of the garage door when it’s fully open. Just because the door is 7ft doesn’t mean that’s how much clearance you have as the bottom of the door may not go all the way up depending on your garage door opener or rails.

Next, search on this forum as many other have had the same issue, so I’m sure there are some measurements posted.

Not a direct comparison but my JLUR with a hard top is a little over 72 inches, I’d say 75 to be safe. I added the roof rack and a yakima mega warrior basket and now I’m at 80 inches exact and can’t park in my garage without rubbing/hitting on the weather strip of the garage door bottom.

I don’t think you’ll get 2.75 inches from the mopar lift as it’s advertised as a 2 inch lift. Also it will settle a bit. I assume you’re going to add 35” tires as well, but keep in mind they won’t be exactly 35 inches depending on brand.

I suspect at the most you’ll add in a worst case scenario is 4 inches to the height. And say your soft top rubicon is 75 inches tall in the high spots. That puts you at 79 inches worst case scenario.

It’s close, but I think you’ll be fine.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
I am just worried about getting it into the garage at this point. I have a seven foot garage door but the floor inside is raised 1.5 inches for drainage/flood prevention. That leaves about 80 (maybe 80.5 inches) to work with. I have a pretty big fear that I am going to end up with a problem getting my new purchase into the garage when I get it home. I have seen numbers all over the map for a stock JLUR with a soft top. I am figuring about 2.75 inches from the Mopar lift and another 1 inch from the tires for a 3.75 inch boost. If the JLUR comes out to over 76 inches or the lift is closer to or over three, I am in trouble. Oddly, precise measurements of a Rubicon with a soft top are difficult to come by.
My JLU Sport S is about 71.5 inches and my garage door clearance is 72 inches. It was close but it fit.

20180724_083614.jpg

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
So between the Rubicon and Sport S, will one drive better/smoother on the highway? Will one be a noticeabely nicer ride? I'm still deciding between a Sports S and Rubicon for a daily driver. If one's a nicer ride on pavement, that may tip the scales. I really won't be off-roading at all.

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU; 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie; 2019 Jeep Cherokee
/\ Then you should go for sport

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
/\ Then you should go for sport
That's what I've been thinking all along, but if the Rubi's shocks/suspension/whatever are going to make it a nicer ride on pavement, then maybe I'd consider it. But if highway driving will be the same in both, than maybe Sport S it is.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Offroad oriented doesn't always mean stiffer. Look at the Ford Raptor. They say those are the nicest riding F-150s you can buy on the highway. I would go test drive a Rubicon and a Sport and then decide. To me, the Sport is pretty stiff. Noticeably stiffer than the JKU.

Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Whew, too much speculation. :whatsgoingon:

Sport has 31.5" tires. Rubicon has 32.7 for a lift of about 1/2".
Rubicon springs have more gas charge. There is some "lift" as a result of this, around 1/4 to 1/2". (actually less sag but I digress.)
Rubi springs don't exist, but Rubi's get stiffer springs. Going up 2 part numbers will gain you about 1" of lift.

So putting Rubicon springs, shocks, and tires on a Sport will give you a total lift of around 2". BTDT. :jk:

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I've been thinking all along, but if the Rubi's shocks/suspension/whatever are going to make it a nicer ride on pavement, then maybe I'd consider it. But if highway driving will be the same in both, than maybe Sport S it is.
I have the Leather Rubi hard top and my wife has the Cloth Sport S soft top and having driven both I think her Sport S is a tad smoother/softer on the highway for traveling. The Rubi isn't stiffer/bouncy per say, it seems stronger and a tad heavier. We've traveled in both and we like both. One thing to remember is that the soft top is louder on the highway. You can hear more road noise and semis on the road are louder when you pass them or they you pass you. The Rubi is quieter, and I also have the Mopar head liner option on my hard top. Hope that helps.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Leather Rubi hard top and my wife has the Cloth Sport S soft top and having driven both I think her Sport S is a tad smoother/softer on the highway for traveling. The Rubi isn't stiffer/bouncy per say, it seems stronger and a tad heavier. We've traveled in both and we like both. One thing to remember is that the soft top is louder on the highway. You can hear more road noise and semis on the road are louder when you pass them or they you pass you. The Rubi is quieter, and I also have the Mopar head liner option on my hard top. Hope that helps.
Yes, very helpful, thanks! A family with two JLs -- one Rubi, one Sport S -- is the perfect people to talk to on this matter!

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question for you regarding seats: How are the cloth seats in your wife's Sport S? Are they decent or do they feel cheap? I'm wondering what the difference is between the standard cloth seats in the Sport and the premium cloth in the Rubicon. (Though I realize you have leather in your Rubi, not cloth.)

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Question for you regarding seats: How are the cloth seats in your wife's Sport S? Are they decent or do they feel cheap? I'm wondering what the difference is between the standard cloth seats in the Sport and the premium cloth in the Rubicon. (Though I realize you have leather in your Rubi, not cloth.)
I have a sport s and the cloth seats feel real nice. It doesn't feel cheap at all.
Sponsored