Sponsored

Rubicon vs. Sport S

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I live at 5140' and the 3.6l rubi is more than adequate from a power perspective so far thanks to the gearing although we haven't been much above 9000' yet so we'll see how it does going over the Continental Divide. The 2.0t was a contender until I saw the location of the battery along with hearing about the teething pains.

This video shows where the battery lives and its 'protection':
6224’ here 3.6 rubi is a beast. Wheeled it past 10 and the 6 again, is a beast. However, if you are trying to equate beast with say a mustang, bmw m anything, Camero with an 8, something really throw your head on the back of the seat, then you are not making the right comparisons on this forum. Beast in the JL forum context at over 6k’ means the 6 cylinder rubi is very responsive and holds cruise control on the highway no problem and climbs $hit, again no problem. If you expect it to almost break the seat back when you floor it altitude doesn’t make a difference at all. Below sea level above it whatever the wrangler isn’t going to feel like a Ferrari.
Sponsored

Vom Hoko

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S; GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
Here's my billet silver sport s with takeoff rubi suspension/tires/wheels and plasti dipped black grill. I take the top off every wknd with my Lange manual hoist...takes 10 minutes to be topless.
N6N3bm8.jpg

MNybomp.jpg

5QRDU4m.jpg
This is exactly what I needed to see. Thanks for pics!
Just picked up 2020 JLUR takeoff wheel set and suspension from my Billet Silver 2018 Sport S.
Dude was a class act! 2020 is going to be a great year!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
This is exactly what I needed to see. Thanks for pics!
Just picked up 2020 JLUR takeoff wheel set and suspension from my Billet Silver 2018 Sport S.
Dude was a class act! 2020 is going to be a great year!
Glad to help...comical to see these old pics bc my jeep has gone through several upgrades since then and looks/performs quite a bit different. Warning: once you start modding, it's highly addictive and a slippery slope.;)

Last edited:

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I can either get a Rubicon then put 35's on it and a level kit or a Sport S Mopar lift, rims and 35's, and front bumper and winch. With those two options what would you do? It is 90% daily driver. The off roading won't be anything too crazy. Old logging and mining roads in the mountains in Wyoming, hunting, and getting to fly fishing spots. Thanks for any help.
I’ll dissent a bit, and say, I’d go Rubicon if you’re pricing out about the same. Both will likely get you where you want to go, one just has more options to get you back. I’m guessing you’re not going with a group, so any kit that can help up the odds of coming back is a good thing. Do you need lockers? Probably not, but do you buy a winch because you plan to use it when you go out? No, it’s there just in case. The gearing will also be beneficial for you at elevation and your eventual move to 35s. Not to mention brakes, d44 up front, Rock trac, etc. Not required, but certainly helpful.

As for the looks department, the Rubi is 80% there already. You’re really only missing the 35s, maybe a little lift. Rock the 285s until they wear out, then put on some 315s. Spacers and a level kit for a few hundred bucks, if you want, and you’re there. Or buy a winch to go down the functional route. You might also get a Tazer to “unlock” the lockers in any config to give you even more options on the trail.

All told, I think the Sport is a great option that will certainly work, and you can get the looks you’re after. The Rubicon, though, will be close in looks right out of the box, allow for easy upgrades to your desired end state, and provide some legitimate benefits out on the trail. This, again, assuming similar pricing. If you’re saving a ton on the Sport, might be the better option.
Sponsored