Sponsored

Door limiting strap annoying

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
Hi there, I went to the dealership to test drive a turbo 4 eTorque JLU this weekend to see if I would order that or the 3.0 liter. Well I'm sold on the 2.0 turbo. However, on the wrangler I drove, the strap on the inside of the lower drivers side door was rubbing against my leg. I found this to be particularly annoying. I don't recall this happening on the 3.0 liter I drove. Is there a simple fix for this issue other than moving my leg to a different position? I'm 6'5" tall, my legs will go where they will and I would hate to have to re-adjust all the time.

Thanks for reading,
3illy
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
The abrasiveness of the check strap has been something that's been mentioned randomly here. One solution I've seen of this would be to wrap something silky smooth around it. Others who have owned Jeeps longer may have other crafty options. I've only noticed it when I'm wearing shorts (as I'm sure you have), but it doesn't really bother me anymore. Wrap it up.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Thatā€™s the cable bundle, not the limiting strap. I have this issue too, Iā€™m just going to deal with it until I either get used to it or it becomes more pliable and does bow out towards my ankle.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
The abrasiveness of the check strap has been something that's been mentioned randomly here. One solution I've seen of this would be to wrap something silky smooth around it. Others who have owned Jeeps longer may have other crafty options. I've only noticed it when I'm wearing shorts (as I'm sure you have), but it doesn't really bother me anymore. Wrap it up.
Silky smooth huh? I revoke your man card. . .

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s the cable bundle, not the limiting strap. I have this issue too, Iā€™m just going to deal with it until I either get used to it or it becomes more pliable and does bow out towards my ankle.
Itā€™s both really, if you look at the cable bundle you will see it is hooked to limit the door movement if the door check was not used like the older wranglers.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Itā€™s both really, if you look at the cable bundle you will see it is hooked to limit the door movement if the door check was not used like the older wranglers.
Right. The check strap is sewn into the wire bundle, but it is the wire bundle at issue hereā€”the door strap, if not tied to the wiring, would not be pushing into your calf. I had a YJ back in the 90s, so I am familiar with older models. My YJ had half doors with check straps and it didnā€™t touch me.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Right. The check strap is sewn into the wire bundle, but it is the wire bundle at issue hereā€”the door strap, if not tied to the wiring, would not be pushing into your calf. I had a YJ back in the 90s, so I am familiar with older models. My YJ had half doors with check straps and it didnā€™t touch me.
cool, I agree it is the wire bundle that causes it to bow and touches your calf.
Anyhow, I too had a Yj in the 90ā€™s with half doors. I wish they offered half doors on the JL from the factory because I would have ordered them. Love half doors.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I originally felt the same as you, OP, as this was my first Jeep. The first time I noticed it contact my leg/foot my immediate thought was "WTF is that the parking brake?" (clearly not, ya stupid brain).

Now I barely notice it, and if I do, I moreso think "Ya damn right I'm in a Jeep".

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
cool, I agree it is the wire bundle that causes it to bow and touches your calf.
Anyhow, I too had a Yj in the 90ā€™s with half doors. I wish they offered half doors on the JL from the factory because I would have ordered them. Love half doors.
Man, those half doors.

seanpublic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
It's a really old thread, but I thought I'd mention a really easy solution to get the door harnesses out of the way. Unplug the door harness from its connector like you would when taking off the door. On the driver's side, rotate the plug 360 degrees counterclockwise, then plug it back in. On the passenger side, do the same with the plug in the clockwise direction. Now when you close the doors, the torsional tension will coil the harness upward as it bows.

OP
OP

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
It's a really old thread, but I thought I'd mention a really easy solution to get the door harnesses out of the way. Unplug the door harness from its connector like you would when taking off the door. On the driver's side, rotate the plug 360 degrees counterclockwise, then plug it back in. On the passenger side, do the same with the plug in the clockwise direction. Now when you close the doors, the torsional tension will coil the harness upward as it bows.
Going to try this tomorrow, thanks for the tip.