Door netted pocket, are they annoying you

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I can see they will be sagging AF in a couple of years, just like JK.

Is there a way to safely rip them off without damaging door panel?

Untitled-1.jpg
They don't bother me. If you are willing to rip them out, just don't use them.
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I wonder if one could glue a few small (bigger than any hole in the netting) neodymium magnets to the door panel on the side of the netting closest to the door, and then put a few neodymium magnets on the passenger's side of the netting, each against a glued magnet to keep the netting close to the door.

Side note, I bought this the other day. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VLL84F3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's yet to arrive. It doesn't interfere with the front passenger's air bag. Clearly, if you're an offroader where your "co-pilot" needs to completely wrap that hand(s) around that glovebox grab handle then this isn't for you. But I got it because front passenger real estate to put things down, IMHO, seems somewhat limited.

61rXD-fe0%2BL._SL1000_.jpg
This can't be safe. Airbag deployment will make that tray (and everything in it) a a projectile. Even if the tray is not positioned directly in front of the airbag.

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
What If it could utilize the entire length and maybe stand an inch from the door. I can't see the top picture. Even if it attaches to the door using some type of prepositioned and pre-drilled screw holes using black self taping screws. I would buy a pair for the front and rear
Sal, something like you're proposing was what I first drew up a pattern for but I did not prototype it. I was looking for a way to prevent having to drill holes to mount. I am not confident in 3M tape by itself for a long term mount. I can see about building one up for a test sometime if people would be willing to drill a few mounting holes and if you did not want the netting on the inside, people would have to be willing to cut it away. These would also be a cheaper option as they would be a lot less leather.
I should have taken a pic from the top, at the widest point the one pictured has about a 2 inch opening

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
This can't be safe. Airbag deployment will make that tray (and everything in it) a a projectile. Even if the tray is not positioned directly in front of the airbag.
Exactly what I thought when I saw that. Plenty of room for a full size phone in that little tray ahead of the shifter anyways.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
On topic though, I'd love something similar to the Sahara YJs. Big leather or fabric pocket with a flap. Much more utility I'd think

Sponsored

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
A couple of members have asked me for a leather solution to these nets. Unfortunately FCA designed these nets so that they are not removable and the whole door panel needs to be replaced if the netting is an issue. Because of this I wasn't too enthused about prototyping anything. However I had some time so I thought I would give a couple of ideas a try. Here is one of them. It is all leather, attached using 3M double sided tape on the back and the netting (in which any excess from sagging) is rolled up under the front snap panel. Note I am not making these yet and the one pictured is a prototype so it is not perfect., Just thought I would post here for thoughts, input, insight and of course critique (humorous preferred but not required)

JL Door Pocket 1.jpg

JL Door Pocket 2.jpg
Did you ever end up producing these? My nets are stretched and it's actually resulted in chipped paint on the passenger side.

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Did you ever end up producing these? My nets are stretched and it's actually resulted in chipped paint on the passenger side.
Unfortunately not. As you are probably aware Jeep decided to make the netting as part of the door panel and I do not have a real secure way of attaching them besides 3M tape without having to drill into the door panel. Another issue is that due to the seat placement they would be hard to access when the door is closed. The same company that made the plastic ones for JKs are also making them for JLs

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
No issue here mine or fine

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
No issue here mine or fine
Mine were too, until my wife put a big bottle of lotion in there and stretched it out. It would be great if they returned to their original shape, but they don't.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Ideal place for keeping your disposable masks.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine were too, until my wife put a big bottle of lotion in there and stretched it out. It would be great if they returned to their original shape, but they don't.
You can't expect your wife to maintain her shape forever.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I put a reflective belt* in my driver's door pocket, so that whenever the door is opened, there is hi-viz yellow showing through the netting and/or reflecting towards vehicles approaching from behind. And of course the belt is ready for emergency use at night.

*-Such as military personnel are required to wear while training/running along roads, etc. I also have a full reflective vest elsewhere in my vehicle for roadside volunteer activities and/or emergency use, but the belt is handily right there...
Sponsored