Using Ethanol Free Gas = VROOM!

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
I filled up the JLR with top tier ethanol free 87 octane gas. There is a noticeable increase in power. I can't say anything about improved MPG, because my driving habits are so variable, it's tough to make a good comparison without effort. And price wise, it was maybe ten cents more a gallon than a nearby corporate gas station (Chevron). I'll need to pay attention to the temp gauges, because it may run 5'ish degrees F hotter.

FYI- first time I've used ethanol free gas.

FYI I use Pure Gas Org (free iphone app). It's really well done.
Sponsored

Mud-N-Sun

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 2 door Sport TJ 2018 JLU Sport-S
I will give this a shot thanks for the update. It was this or the supercharger upgrade. Ethenol free May be cheaper. Lol

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I dont think we have ethanol free 87 around me. But when I used to run premium in my vehicles, the 91 ethanol free was better for performance, and mileage compared to 94 octane full of ethanol.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
In fact, high compression and boosted motors tuned for e85 will make more power than a motor tuned on straight gasoline.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
In fact, high compression and boosted motors tuned for e85 will make more power than a motor tuned on straight gasoline.
Yep, you can just keep throwing timing at the motor!

OP
OP
Grousemont

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will give this a shot thanks for the update. It was this or the supercharger upgrade. Ethenol free May be cheaper. Lol
Ok not to misrepresent, you do notice more power, but is only just perceivable. Like maybe a few HP at best. But it is obviously much cheaper. :)

OP
OP
Grousemont

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That may be the case, but recall the specs say don’t put fuel with ethanol beyond e85. So I would not interpret that the motor is tuned to e85. I’ve never actually seen e85. In Washington state the upper limit is e90. I will say categorically, you can notice more power with e100 (ie ethanol free, top tier). And laws of physics (Newtonian and conservation) say more power for same unit of fuel equals more mpg.

OP
OP
Grousemont

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont think we have ethanol free 87 around me. But when I used to run premium in my vehicles, the 91 ethanol free was better for performance, and mileage compared to 94 octane full of ethanol.
If you haven’t check out pure gas org you should. I was surprised how prevelant they are. But I’ll say, they are at gas stations that I would pass on by if going by looks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grousemont

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you haven’t check out pure gas org you should. I was surprised how prevelant they are. But I’ll say, they are at gas stations that I would pass on by if going by looks.
And I forgot to add. I now know why Mercedes club seattle and Porsche club seattle both meet at the XXX burger drive in in Issaquah WA before road trips...it’s across the street from an ethanol free gas station that sells top tier for only a little more than typical e90 gas stations.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Years ago a participated in a dyno shootout with a buddy. Both of us had the same yamaha raider 113ci bike running the same tune. We had a wager going plus the available prize money. I ran 94oct with ethanol. He ran 94 oct ethanol free. He scored 5hp higher than my bike. Previous dynos of our bikes from the same shop when running the same fuel showed our bikes as nearly identical dyno results.

Anyway he wins bet and the contest. Ethanol free does offer some hp improvement. In the raiders case it was a 5.26% increase.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That may be the case, but recall the specs say don’t put fuel with ethanol beyond e85. So I would not interpret that the motor is tuned to e85. I’ve never actually seen e85. In Washington state the upper limit is e90. I will say categorically, you can notice more power with e100 (ie ethanol free, top tier). And laws of physics (Newtonian and conservation) say more power for same unit of fuel equals more mpg.
e100 is 100% ethanol
e85 is 85% ethanol
Most gas around me is e10 by label but most likely varies.

I’m going to check that app to find ethanol free fuel by me but I don’t think it exists anymore in my area unless I purchase from airport or boat shop.

I’ve read ethanol is bad for the fuel components due to oxidation/water?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I filled up the JLR with top tier ethanol free 87 octane gas. There is a noticeable increase in power. I can't say anything about improved MPG, because my driving habits are so variable, it's tough to make a good comparison without effort. And price wise, it was maybe ten cents more a gallon than a nearby corporate gas station (Chevron). I'll need to pay attention to the temp gauges, because it may run 5'ish degrees F hotter.

FYI- first time I've used ethanol free gas.

FYI I use Pure Gas Org (free iphone app). It's really well done.
That's the opposite of what most people report, which makes sense considering that Ethanol is higher octane and the computer will adjust timing and fuel pulse to compensate which adds power.

Typically, on non-ethanol fuel you'll see less power and more fuel economy.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I noticed a lot of gas stations in my area that offer non-ethanol gas are not a top-tier gas. Do you want lower quality gas without ethanol or top tier with ethanol. Pick your poison.
Sponsored