Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have advice what to install on my Sport S?

Not planning on crazy rock crawling
But, the back roads I like to go on are rough in the desert and would like at least some protection against inadvertently going over a drop off and hitting rocker panels.
And I want some kind of step.
Would be nice to have something that covers the pinch seam, but not a requirement.

Roam steps look great but don't really seem to provide much protection other than from the side, is that correct?

Thinking of these as alternatives:

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90104.htm
https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...-jl-signature-series-4-door-rock-sliders.html
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLSld/JLSL-CL-4D.html
http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JL-Rock-Sliders-4-Door-_p_257.html
https://www.quadratec.com/p/n-fab/rock-rail-step-system-jeep-wrangler-jl
Sponsored

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
i decided to go with Rock slide engineering, functional and they help short family members out too. I will have my JLUR takeoff sliders for sale, have you seen this thread and thought about them?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
i decided to go with Rock slide engineering, functional and they help short family members out too. I will have my JLUR takeoff sliders for sale, have you seen this thread and thought about them?
I've definitely thought about them - inexpensive, but I'm kind of looking for a step.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Sorry I don’t have better photos - more to come later, hopefully.

These are the @IronCrossAutomotive steps.

Stand up company. Really great to work with. I bought from them after they sent multiple private messages replying to my questions, and provided a forum discount code (some others are not doing that).

Aside from customer service, the product is also excellent. It’s exactly what we were hoping for. It looks factory and is very clean.

FCECB326-5C48-4128-A884-6302F677A242.jpeg

D81BC038-3CA9-4A20-9BD7-EAF24495F3E4.jpeg

A840BD12-D37E-42DE-B0E0-B1DC9C697BC1.jpeg

0EBA4552-82F8-4272-850A-FC7A9C97DD1D.jpeg

Sponsored

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Sorry I don’t have better photos - more to come later, hopefully.

These are the @IronCrossAutomotive steps.

Stand up company. Really great to work with. I bought from them after they sent multiple private messages replying to my questions, and provided a forum discount code (some others are not doing that).

Aside from customer service, the product is also excellent. It’s exactly what we were hoping for. It looks factory and is very clean.

FCECB326-5C48-4128-A884-6302F677A242.jpeg

D81BC038-3CA9-4A20-9BD7-EAF24495F3E4.jpeg

A840BD12-D37E-42DE-B0E0-B1DC9C697BC1.jpeg

0EBA4552-82F8-4272-850A-FC7A9C97DD1D.jpeg
Can you tell me the width of the actual step portion of these?

Is it smooth metal, or is there grip?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Can you tell me the width of the actual step portion of these?

Is it smooth metal, or is there grip?
I will measure tomorrow! It’s wide enough that my wife and I both feel very confident stepping on them, no concerns with rolling an ankle or anything like that.

The texture is pretty cool. It’s not as rough as rhino liner or something like that, it seems more “finished” but it’s also not flat. That’s what makes these seem so “factory” to me - they have grip so you don’t slip, but they blend right in as well. I’d say they texture is right in the middle... in short, it’s what I would want in a side step.

I’ll get closer photos and measurements tomorrow. I highly recommend these steps though. Shipping was very fast.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I will measure tomorrow! It’s wide enough that my wife and I both feel very confident stepping on them, no concerns with rolling an ankle or anything like that.

The texture is pretty cool. It’s not as rough as rhino liner or something like that, it seems more “finished” but it’s also not flat. That’s what makes these seem so “factory” to me - they have grip so you don’t slip, but they blend right in as well. I’d say they texture is right in the middle... in short, it’s what I would want in a side step.

I’ll get closer photos and measurements tomorrow. I highly recommend these steps though. Shipping was very fast.
Awesome. I appreciate it!
Do you feel they hide the pinch seam?

PapaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
I really like them - they have held up well to some moderate rock climbing and make getting in the Jeep easy for the wife and kids
I really like them - they have held up well to some moderate rock climbing and make getting in the Jeep easy for the wife and kids
That's good to hear.
Do they cover up the metal "seams" (sorry if that's the wrong term) at the underside of the JL or do they just bolt to them and leave them exposed? I like the other types of steps/rails that definitely cover those seams as that gives a more finished look. Form vs. Function...hmmm? :))

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That's good to hear.
Do they cover up the metal "seams" (sorry if that's the wrong term) at the underside of the JL or do they just bolt to them and leave them exposed? I like the other types of steps/rails that definitely cover those seams as that gives a more finished look. Form vs. Function...hmmm? :))
I will take some pictures they bolt to the frame and the pinch seam but have a tube that sits in front of pinch seam so it depends on the angle you are looking. I was looking for coverage as well but really like these rails and steps.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I installed a set of Rock Hard JL Patriot sliders yesterday. The install was easy except for the passenger front body mount bolt, which required a torch and impact gun to take out. They are built really well and should stand up to all the abuse that the trail will dish out.
20180826_154120.jpg
20180826_154115_HDR.jpg

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
How are you contacting them?? I haven’t gotten any answers to my emails.
In all honesty, I had a bit of a hard time getting ahold of them. Ultimately, I got a short response to a PM. This was a factor in my decision. The team at @IronCrossAutomotive replied to PMs with details, additional photos, etc.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Awesome. I appreciate it!
Do you feel they hide the pinch seam?
I'm sorry I didn't get a measurement this AM! I will get some numbers tonight for you.

These do hide the pinch seam in my opinion. I'll get more photos for you tonight so you can decide for yourself, but I'm very happy with them - if you look closely you can see a bit of an angle in the steps, where they travel upwards at the point where they meet the Jeep - this helps them "hug" the vehicle and cover the pinch seam.

The *only* Feedback I had for @IronCrossAutomotive was that if they used black bolts for the bolts that bolt the brackets onto the Jeep (coming from the side going in toward the Jeep), it'd be even harder to see anything. The ones they are using now are standard dull silver bolts - and if you are super picky like I am, and know exactly where to look, and hit it at just the right angle, and have adequate light..... you can barely make out the head of the silver bolt.

My fix was to use some touch up paint to dab the those 6 bolt heads black (3 on each side of the vehicle). If you do that before you put the steps on, you will be golden. I did it after the steps were on, so it was tougher for me to reach my hand in there to get access.

I'm a pretty picky person. I probably looked at over 100 photos of side steps to compare all the options, and I wound up with these - and have been happy with the result!

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
I just placed a order for roam side step. For the price and quality was good, was going to go for lod signature series or destroyer.
Sponsored