JL hardtop removal

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My garage is 8’ tall but has open rafters. I installed the Lange hoist, which is pricey, but super easy to use. I installed the hoist above the rafters so able to get the top right up against the rafters.

21C2550E-EB5B-4142-94E9-EFEDB0F0A091.jpeg

80383A53-32F9-432B-8711-F5993B7C42ED.jpeg

9F432027-9E03-4D27-8DAF-71521C1C3D53.jpeg
Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Do you, or anybody else, have the dimensions used for installing the harken? I have the Harken as well but still no Jeep. Would like to install it just so it’s done and ready but want to make sure I get the eyelets etc all install In the correct/best spots. Thank you
The eyelets generally are spaced to match the lift points on the top itself. Since you have a JLUR too, I spaced my eyelets running longways with 3' between each eyelet and then running the width of the top at 4' between the two eyelets. You can move them a few inches either way to address the angle of the ropes - whatever you're comfortable with. You can see the lift points on my picture - basically at the corners of the top around the side and rear windows. I installed mine a bit too close to the side and back wall of the garage to where I really need to back up the Jeep close to the walls....but it works great and I've gotten used to making a tight parking fit. I would say you need at least 2' clearance from a side wall and 8-10' from the rear wall. Of course you may need to avoid door openers etc...Hope this helps.

Reactions: x3L

Chaz Monroe

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I messaged Topsy yesterday about them making their own hoist - they are about 3 or 4 months out and are working on whether it’s powered or not. He said they are trying to keep cost around $300. I might hold out and see what they come out with.

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I messaged Topsy yesterday about them making their own hoist - they are about 3 or 4 months out and are working on whether it’s powered or not. He said they are trying to keep cost around $300. I might hold out and see what they come out with.
Racor lift with Topsy brackets is a home run in my opinion.

Chaz Monroe

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Racor lift with Topsy brackets is a home run in my opinion.
I agree. The guy at Topsy had nothing but good things to say about the racor lift. I am just curious to see what they come up with.

Sponsored

x3L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOJITO! JLUR 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Bro-in-law is doing a custom welded uni-strut trolley system that we are attaching the harken hoist to. Should be top notch.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
How much does the hard top acutally weigh?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Reactions: VNT

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Thanks

I was going to build a hoist but I will make a cart and store in the garage against the wall, can bribe a few friends twice a year with some beer to help me take it off and on. It looks to me to be more work attaching things into the ceiling of my garage versus rolling on a cart. Maybe just the wife and I can do the swap if she can handle it. Well see. Awaiting for her Sahara to come in, was supposed to ship yesterday. I assume a couple more weeks before it arrives, ordered dual tops.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
For my TJ, I built a hoist with a Harbor Frieght 1,300LBS hoist. I think, with the 20% coupon, its $115.00. Bolted it to the rafters. I use two nylon straps in an X cross-over for the roof and a bungey to keep it from spinning when hoisted.

All in less than $125.00 and works great. Looking forward to using it for my JLR when it arrives.

BIGDOGS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sting Grey + '15 Cherokee Trailhawk + '17 Renegade Trailhawk
Do you, or anybody else, have the dimensions used for installing the harken? I have the Harken as well but still no Jeep. Would like to install it just so it’s done and ready but want to make sure I get the eyelets etc all install In the correct/best spots. Thank you
I installed my Harken yesterday for my JLU Sahara. Took about 4 hours, but I took my time and had to relocate it once because I didn't like how I had it centered in my garage. The distance from front to rear hooks was 70". Distance between hooks side to side was 47" in front and rear.
Distance from the rear hooks to the wall MUST be greater than the desired lifting height (in other words, if you want to lift it up 24", the "rope organizer" must be at least 24" from the rear wall. There is an option to run the ropes over to the side of the Jeep instead of rear, too.
One BIG FRUSTRATION: I installed this thing, lifted the top, opened the garage door, and it was pouring buckets of rain outside and I couldn't go out and play!!! :)

Reactions: x3L

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I installed my Harken yesterday for my JLU Sahara. Took about 4 hours, but I took my time and had to relocate it once because I didn't like how I had it centered in my garage. The distance from front to rear hooks was 70". Distance between hooks side to side was 47" in front and rear.
Distance from the rear hooks to the wall MUST be greater than the desired lifting height (in other words, if you want to lift it up 24", the "rope organizer" must be at least 24" from the rear wall. There is an option to run the ropes over to the side of the Jeep instead of rear, too.
One BIG FRUSTRATION: I installed this thing, lifted the top, opened the garage door, and it was pouring buckets of rain outside and I couldn't go out and play!!! :)
I installed a Harken a few weeks ago as well. So far I love it!

NorCalSahara

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Built this setup yesterday. Took about 30 minutes to install, about $40 in parts and I can remove and reinstall in about 10minutes each way. Not the prettiest setup but it’s solid and works well and I can do it all myself.

56A33221-37BC-415B-B957-091A7C1F3A52.jpeg

CD73B8D6-E78A-4774-B9AE-11237118E870.jpeg

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Using Racor lift with Topsy brackets, how close to a ceiling can you get the bottom of the hard top?

Also can you use the Racor lift without the tray? Like can you connect the cables to the Jeep without the tray part?
Sponsored